Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Yoga 1st Gen - ?? Compatible/Cheap CMOS Battery, Where to Find/Buy ??

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
bkl

X1 Yoga 1st Gen - ?? Compatible/Cheap CMOS Battery, Where to Find/Buy ??

#1 Post by bkl » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:37 pm

I own X1 Yoga 1st generation, type 20FQ-05DUS. Approximately monthly, experience boot up error: 0271 Check Date and Time settings.

Want to change CMOS battery, but cannot find my specific battery on ebay, or amazon or online at a reasonable price. Imagine it is not critical to install exact same battery to replace; most important that the white two-wire connector fits.

What readily available batteries sold on ebay are compatible with exact same white plastic connector? URL or part number? And, please advise if you are you 100% sure white connector fit and battery will work functionally -- i.e., have yourself installed in a X1 Yoga 1st generation, type 20FQ-05DUS. Thank you!!!!!

Battery installed currently = CR2016, ASM PN SB10G62447, FRU PN 00HN933.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X1 Yoga 1st Gen - ?? Compatible/Cheap CMOS Battery, Where to Find/Buy ??

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 am

If you are halfway handy, you can make your own battery.
Go to the nearest pharmacy and buy a CR2016 cell.
Then carefully cut open the plastic around your old cell and pull out the battery + cables.
Carefully tear off the metal strips with cables from the cell.
Straighten out those strips, then put them on the new cell, making sure they do not contact each other.
Note that the red cable goes to the PLUS and white to GROUND.
Put the old cover around your new contraption and close it with a piece of tape.
It takes me longer to describe what to do than doing it!

Alternatively, search feebay with: lenovo cr2016
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

bkl

#3 Post by bkl » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 am

RealBlackStuff, you are too nice/kind to share your post with clear, step by step DIY instructions. I have CR2016 button batteries, considered this option, but until your post did not know possible and steps to complete. Now know what to do. Thx!!!

bkl

Re: X1 Yoga 1st Gen - DIY replacing cr2016 cmos battery

#4 Post by bkl » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:05 am

Quick update.

1) Lesson 1. The white 2-wire, 2-pin connector that connects cmos battery to laptop IS NOT standard, not universal. A co-worker learned of my need for a replacement cmos battery and provided a CR2032 (thicker than CR2016) cmos battery from another laptop with seemingly similar white 2-wire, 2-pin connector. Hurray was short lived as white connector did not fit in ThinkPad x1 yoga 1st generation. White connectors for both seem to be identical. However, x1 connector is narrower.

2) Lesson 2. Swapping out CR2016 coin batteries as kindly suggested is possible, was done successfully. However, not quick. Used a razor blade to slice open the black plastic cover on both top and bottom from my existing x1 cmos battery and gently peeled off the cr2016 coin battery. Hardship came in removing the two metal contacts from the existing coin battery. Each metal contact is literally spot welded onto the battery in four tiny dot spots. With significant effort, first used a rasor blade to separate the metal contact from the battery as much as possible. Dot welds however would not yield to hard slicing pressure from the razor blade. Completed the task of removing each of two metal contacts with a yank using a needle nose plier.

Be sure to have some black electrical tape handy to tape two metal contacts onto the new CR2016 coin battery and to wrap the black plastic cover once new coin battery inserted.

(Internet seems to indicate ok to try using thicker CR2032 or CR2025 or other 20mm diameter 3V coin battery if able to make fit; and that battery life will be longer with thicker battery. However, I did not attempt using a different battery and cannot confirm such will work, such will fit, and such will not mess up laptop electronics.)

Best to all.

speedy-10

#5 Post by speedy-10 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 am

Hi together,
I've got the same problem to get a cheap CMOS battery 00HN933 for my X1 Carbon 2015:
the cheapest one to find on e-bay.de costs > 40€, which is much to expensive for a CMOS battery.

I have an alternative idea instead of slicing the plastic cover and the possible problem, to get durable contacts of the loose cable to the new batterie:

1) buy a similar (standard) CMOS-battery which fits to your laptop (the new connectors will be not fitting) for a few euros.
2) cut both cables of the old and the new CMOS battery in the middle.
3) strip the wire ends, slide 2 pieces of heat shrink tubing over the ends, solder the wires and insulate the solder joint with the heat shrink tubing.
4) put the battery in the laptop.

With this we have a new battery with the old connecting plugs :-).

But im really dissapointed that I can't get for a six year old Lenovo ThinkPad X1 carbon a suitable CMOS battery from Lenovo directly. Such a laptop belongs to the top line of laptops and therefore Lenovo should provide standard spare parts likr batteries!

Ŕegards
Speedy-10