Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga 14 (20FY) charging and performance issues.

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
tharobot

Yoga 14 (20FY) charging and performance issues.

#1 Post by tharobot » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Hey guys,

Been trying to nail this one for a while. I have a Yoga 14 (20FY), that will not charge at times.

The charger has been tried on another laptop, it works. Another charger used on the 20FY exhibits the same issue.

Approximately 1 out of 4 times, if I plug in the charger when the laptop is off, the charge light will illuminate for a few seconds, then go off. At this point, the Mic Mute, Speaker Mute and ThinkPad red LEDs will all start to flash, and flash about once a second in short bursts.

At this point, I turn the Yoga on, and once on, plug the charger in again. The charging light will stay illuminated. However, performance is horrible. It takes about 2 minutes to just to POST, with no errors. Then the OS (Windows or Linux) will take another 4 minutes from POST to log in. Once logged in, again performance is poor. The battery icon will indicate charging, but the charge amount never changes. I can leave it plugged in for days and not change.

On the occasions where I plug in the charger when off and the charging light stays on, if I turn it on, the performance and charging issues do not occur. It's like the laptop is functioning normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.