Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 10 & "switchable graphics" T400

Windows 10 on Lenovo hardware
WVZR1
Freshman Member

Windows 10 & "switchable graphics" T400

#1 Post by WVZR1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:54 pm

So today I get a notice that the W10 upgrade is "READY" for my machine. I've never had anything except a notice that mentions "we'll contact you when it's ready for your computer". Is the "switchable graphics" situation actually corrected or .............

It downloaded the package and I declined the "TERMS" - Has something changed that anyone is aware of?
T60 2007-GCU T7200 2.0GHZ/2.0G 3945ABG XP (Bluetooth & ATI FireGL V5250 by "Brad")

600 2645-A2U used only for "data logging" my 1990 Corvette ZR-1

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Windows 10 & "switchable graphics" T400

#2 Post by bill bolton » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:22 pm

WVZR1 wrote:Is the "switchable graphics" situation actually corrected or .............
If you mean does Win 10 have Microsoft driver support for it, the simple answer is not now..... and it probably never will in the future either.

Cheers,

Bill B.

WVZR1
Freshman Member

#3 Post by WVZR1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:51 am

bill bolton wrote:
WVZR1 wrote:Is the "switchable graphics" situation actually corrected or .............
If you mean does Win 10 have Microsoft driver support for it, the simple answer is not now..... and it probably never will in the future either.

Cheers,

Bill B.
Thank you - I just thought it odd that after several months I finally received the notification that "W10 is ready" for my machine. Until that notification I had only received the typical "WE"LL LET YOU KNOW". Not having investigated the issue very much at all if a T400 was generally used in a stationary location with AC power available can the BIOS be locked to one or the other and is there a "preferred"?

I don't know that I have a genuine interest for W10 but it seems something that more of my friends are doing and considering.
T60 2007-GCU T7200 2.0GHZ/2.0G 3945ABG XP (Bluetooth & ATI FireGL V5250 by "Brad")

600 2645-A2U used only for "data logging" my 1990 Corvette ZR-1

JesseKnows

#4 Post by JesseKnows » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 pm

I tried Windows 10 on the switchable T400.

Upgrading from my perfectly-running Windows 7 installation (via a hard drive clone) completed, but after logging into my account the system would freeze hard. I did succeed in logging into another (hardly used) account, so the activation went through.

After this I tried a clean install, expecting (correctly) that the machine would be recognized and Win10 activated. After installation and all updates, the Intel AMT and the fingerprint device needed drivers. Installing the Lenovo fingerprint package (with compatibility set to Windows 7) fulfilled the driver, but the option to log in via fingerprint was not enabled even after editing the policy.

I ended up with the system mostly working correctly from a full reboot. However, more often than not the system booted into a dark screen. Suspending and resuming brought the screen back.
I installed the Power Manager (with the intention of controlling the switchable graphics therefrom). That ended up in a boot loop.

I gave up and put the original Win7 hard drive back.

Edit:
Just saw the other thread http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=118554 which seems to be much the same experience (dark screen likely caused by the switchable graphics; hard freezes).