Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

PIC 18LF4550 Drivers for Windows 10 OS

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
April151

PIC 18LF4550 Drivers for Windows 10 OS

#1 Post by April151 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:24 am

Currently, I am using PIC 18LF4550 that communicates with notebook PC which is running XP. I'm in process to upgrade to Windows 10 OS from Windows XP and now my USB device that runs the PIC 8LF4550 is no longer communicating with Windows 10 OS. I tried to look for the driver on MicroChip's website but I am not finding any luck. Any idea where I can get the PIC 8LF4550 driver that supports Windows 10 OS?
the PIC 18LF4550 is the device that runs the embedded CSCI
- HMI CSC is SW that communicates with embedded CSCI using USB.
- HMI CSC is running on Windows XP everything is operating normally.
- when reinstalling the HMI CSC on Windows 10 laptop the USB communication b/w HMI CSC and embedded CSCI drops
- Transferred all the drivers from Windows XP to Windows 10 laptop without any success
- thus leading to PIC 18LF4550 driver that can operate with Windows 10
I am using a host application (Developed with C# in Visual Studio) running on a 32-bit Windows XP Service Pack 2 to connect to the PIC device.
When the host application is moved to 64-bit Windows 10, the host application will not connect to the same PIC device, even when the application is launched with Windows XP compatibility settings.

On both machines, the PIC device is recognized as a Human Interface Device in the Device Manager.
On the XP as: "HID-Compliant Device" and "USB Human Interface Device"
And on the WIN10 Machine as: "HID-compliant vendor-defined device" and "USB Input Device"

Under driver details:
For the XP-machine, under driver details of the "USB Human Interface Device" I have: hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, hidusb.sys, and hid.dll.
On the WIN10 Machine, under driver details of the "USB Input Device" I have: hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, and hidusb.sys.

The WIN10 Machine does not list hid.dll. Could that potentially be the issue? Or any other ideas?
I appreciate any other guidance you can provide. Thanks in advance.
Thank you,

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: PIC 18LF4550 Drivers for Windows 10 OS

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:19 am

I suggest you drop W10 completely and try W7 instead.
Or switch over to Linux.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

UMPC2024

#3 Post by UMPC2024 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:14 am

What machine are you using?

Might I ask what your reasons for upgrading are? If you absolutely must do so, I would have to agree with RealBlackStuff on Windows 10 being that it is subpar to Windows 7. I think that because you're using some specialty equipment and it's working on Windows XP to just stay on Windows XP.
April151 wrote: - Transferred all the drivers from Windows XP to Windows 10 laptop without any success

When the host application is moved to 64-bit Windows 10, the host application will not connect to the same PIC device, even when the application is launched with Windows XP compatibility settings.
Driver transfers don't always work, and especially in this case with the huge jump from Windows XP to Windows 10.

Windows XP compatibility settings have hardly, if ever worked, even back when first introduced in Windows NT 6.0/6.1 (if I say Windows Vista some people might get touchy).

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by jdhurst » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:38 pm

It is not likely anything that works in XP will work in Windows 10. I think you need to give that idea up. If your machine will run Windows 10, do a bare metal install of Windows 10.

I have not ANY machine that runs XP also run Windows 10. Not any of mine or any client at all.