Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61 running W10 64bit -- Two problems (SOLVED!)

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
ArtShapiro

Re: T61 running W10 64bit -- Two problems

#61 Post by ArtShapiro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:03 am
T61 is one group
Thank you. In fairness, as a language purist, that phrase CAN be parsed two ways and could have been made unambiguous with the use of ALL.

I'll give it a go.

Art

Muse

Re: T61 running W10 64bit -- Two problems

#62 Post by Muse » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 am

Yeah, I installed a Middleton no-whitelist BIOS on this 15.4" T61 (6465CTO), and later a
New Intel Ultimate-N 6300 633ANHMW WiFi Wireless Card for Thinkpad, from China. Costs less than others and looks different but I figure is essentially the same. It cost me $7.98 and free shipping on ebay.

Not one BSOD since I installed it and I was getting them frequently. In addition I find that the wifi is now right there or at most a delay of a second or two when taking the machine out of suspend. Just a fantastic upgrade that's resolved two major problems.

Actually, before ordering the Intel Ultimate-N 6300 I'd bought an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Card for the T61 but never installed it. I decided that the 3 antenna 6300 card would be a better idea. I later installed the 6205 in one of my 14" T60s (about a week ago), and to my delight the long delays in wifi becoming active when waking the machine have disappeared!

Replacing the stock wifi cards in those two Thinkpads was crucial and AFAIK the best "upgrade" I could have done. And I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without the help of contributors on these forums. Thank you!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!