Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Possible to migrate Win10 installation between machines?

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
LegendaryKA8

Possible to migrate Win10 installation between machines?

#1 Post by LegendaryKA8 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Hopefully kind of a short, sweet question here. I have a fully working Win10 setup on my current X230. I have a broken T430 I'm bringing back to life for a few reasons. Both machines have a valid Win10 Pro license attached to them(ie: I'm not trying to bypass licensing/activation). I am not using a Microsoft account on either device(and refuse to, but that's another story entirely). I'm assuming drivers/etc will be pretty much identical between the two machines(except for the T430's discrete GPU).

Is there any way to migrate the complete install over to the other machine(either by moving/cloning the HDD) to keep currently installed applications/etc? I can rebuild from scratch if I have to, but it would be nice to save a bit of time on this if I can. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
ThinkPads:T21(retired), X200(retired), T500(busted) T400(retiring), T430(upcoming)
Other: Dell Precision M6700(desk hog)

TankPad
Sophomore Member

Re: Possible to migrate Win10 installation between machines?

#2 Post by TankPad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes, simply clone the drive with a tool such as Macrium Reflect and stick it into the new computer. It'll boot up as if it were the first computer. You might need to do some driver updates, depending on hardware, but thats straightforward.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

LegendaryKA8

Re: Possible to migrate Win10 installation between machines?

#3 Post by LegendaryKA8 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks! That worked out wonderfully, actually. Just needed to install display drivers and do some fiddling to detect one of the drives, and off I went. :D
ThinkPads:T21(retired), X200(retired), T500(busted) T400(retiring), T430(upcoming)
Other: Dell Precision M6700(desk hog)