Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Create bootable GPT partition for windows 10?

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
thinkpadcollection

Create bootable GPT partition for windows 10?

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 pm

My workstation computer is HP z220 which is EFI capable means can handle large storage than 2TB but there is questions not answered in other articles. AOMEI answered my question about cloning installed Win 10 on MBR to GPT drive with no issues. Yet is there a need to partition the 3TB hd to GPT and made bootable first or leave one created GPT partition first then clone to it and still bootable? I do know I have to enable EFI in bios to make GPT boot to work.

The Z220 says EFI, not UEFI.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Create bootable GPT partition for windows 10?

#2 Post by dr_st » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 pm

I am not sure I understand your question, but one thing I can point out is: MBR and GPT are partition table techniques, not partition formats - they apply to the whole drive. Either the entire drive is MBR-partitioned or GPT-partitioned; you cannot mix the two.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

thinkpadcollection

Re: Create bootable GPT partition for windows 10? UPDATE:

#3 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I have researched and figured that what you had said. Yet I'm not certain what is needed to do it right especially partitioning the GPT so win 10 is still bootable after cloning from MBR to GPT on two drives.

UPDATE: I stumbled onto excellent website on windows 10 and GPT. Turns out the build 15063 includes a little utility to convert from MBR to GPT on the fly with windows 10 installed. My computer is UEFI by default detected the HD as GPT and inserted one new entry in UEFI boot list on start up. So seamless. :) Here's the linky for anyone to peruse in depth:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.c ... ws-10-oem/

Now I am also able to know how to prepare the large HDs (larger than 2.2TB), to GPT first then partition any via diskpart.

What I hate the most with clean install of windows 10 is requirement to register with microsoft account which I DO NOT want to do, I already have a account with ISP and does not accept my ISP in place of microsoft's. Is there a way to go around this problem next time I need to do reinstall or install new windows 10?

Article says that XP 64bit can read and write GPT partition as data drive only not as boot. Windows 7, 8-8.1 and 10 supports GPT boot on UEFI equipped BIOS computers. Has to be 64 bit OS through. Also to complete the second part of UEFI is secure boot certain video cards has to be UEFI capable otherwise you get beeps or no startup if UEFI secure boot option is enabled. I have R9-270X waiting till I upgrade PSU on that Z220 workstation from 400W to 600W from a Z420. Both Z220 and Z420 share same chassis and plugs except for CPU/RAM power is 8 pin plug. Easy to fix.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection