Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W10, 1803 and VNC remote

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
thinkquan

W10, 1803 and VNC remote

#1 Post by thinkquan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

W10 1803 just got pushed out to my T420, and it seems VNC remote connection no longer works with the lid closed. Open the lid, and the remote connection jumps to life, shut it and the screen is frozen in the that state until you open the lid again. This action does not seem to crash TightVNC (server or viewer), just that the remote connection is unusable while the lid is closed. Remote connecting through TightVNC has worked perfectly fine on this machine with lid closed, up till this recent update. I've been using this setup since the first release of W10, and haven't had any remote connection problems before.

A bit of background, I am using this T420 as a local backup machine with a couple of external HDDs attached. Backup is basically it's only job. I prefer initiating backups manually, and thus VNC into the machine periodically to start the process from my daily ThinkPad. The T420 is tucked away in a corner of the house, separated from my main workspace.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when 1803 was pushed out to my T430 it seems like all the display calibration settings were thrown way off course. Is 1803 messing with ThinkPad video drivers?