Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

location-based multi-factor authentication for Windows 10 login with a local account

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
meeotch
Freshman Member

location-based multi-factor authentication for Windows 10 login with a local account

#1 Post by meeotch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm looking to enable MFA for login to my Windows 10 laptop, which I use with a local account (no microsoft login). However, 90% of my use is at home, where I don't want to be required to plug in a dongle or fiddle with my phone every time the laptop screen locks.

I have an X1 carbon with a fingerprint reader, and I guess I'd accept fingerprint + password as an "all locations" MFA requirement. (Even though fingerprints are not great as a factor.) But I've not found a way to do that with a local account.

But ideally, I'd prefer the MFA requirements to change based on whether I'm at home or elsewhere: at home, require fingerprint or fingerprint + password; elsewhere, require password + (dongle or phone). Is there any third-party or microsoft native MFA solution that does this? It should also fail gracefully to something secure if there's no internet connection, and/or if I lose my dongle, etc. (E.g., I'm overseas, and my hardware factors are stolen or stop working.)