Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 11 on the X1 Carbon Gen 4 / 4th

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
mikemex

Windows 11 on the X1 Carbon Gen 4 / 4th

#1 Post by mikemex » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:27 pm

Do you guys know if the camera on the X1C4 works OK on Windows 11?

Lazy me, I just transplanted the factory 256GB SSD drive from my X1C9 after upgrading it to 1TB. The original one is SATA, and probably much slower, though it seems more power-efficient. The new one (Kioxia BG5) is rated at 3.3v and 2.5A, while the old one (00JT021, LiteON L8H-256V2G) is 3.3v and 0.95A.

It booted up just fine, so I decided to just go with Windows 11. It requiered some manual work because not everything is installed automatically:

Works with Windows 10 drivers from Lenovo's site:
* Realtek Card Reader.
* Chipset (INF).
* Power management device.

From Windows Catalog:
* Mobile 6th Generation Intel(R) Processor Family I/O Integrated Sensor Hub - 9D35.

Now there are no unknown devices in the Device Manager, but when I tried to fire up the camera to check, it complains that it can't find any camera. I then recalled that I usually disable some "ports" in the BIOS to save power and indeed, I had the WWAN and Camera disabled. I re-enabled them but guess what? Nada!

Now, I have three machines of this type and I do remember that the camera in one of them doesn't work, but I don't remember which one. I know I could simply boot up Linux and check, but when I visited Lenovo's site I noticed that they released a driver patch for the camera... for Windows 11! It may very well be the only device driver intended specifically for Windows 11 for this machine. So I'm wondering: is it a known issue?
X301: SU9600 | 8GB | 1TB | WXGA+
X1C5: 7600U | 16GB | 1TB | FHD
X1C9: 1145G7 | 16GB | 1TB | WUXGA | WWAN
X1Y8: 1365U | 32GB | 1TB | WUXGA
P14s G1 AMD: 4750U | 32GB | 1TB | PG FHD Touch
T14 G2: 1145G7 | 32GB | 1TB | FHD