Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Unable to login to my laptop

T25 Anniversary/Retro
imranvp

Unable to login to my laptop

#1 Post by imranvp » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Dear Guys,

I own a Thinkpad 25. However I've not been able to use my notebook for the past several months as I'm unable to login!!

I use windows hello and fingerprint (whichever works) to login usually. But one day it kinda failed to recognize my face so I tried using my fingerprint. After 3 failed attempts, it does not login anymore. It asks for my PIN each time I turn the machine on. And I don't even remember inputting a PIN code.

So now my laptop is rendered unusable. It's still on warranty and I took it to the service center and over there they said, "breaking into your laptop is NOT covered under warranty and nothing can be done about it apart from formatting." But I don't wanna do that as I have so much valuable data on this machine.

Somebody please HELP!!!!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Unable to login to my laptop

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Boot from a Ubuntu Live USB, back up your data as long as it's not encrypted....and rebuild your W10.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by w0qj » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Like Thinkpad4by3 said, if your SSD data is *not* encrypted, you can just take out your SSD (pls check with Lenovo to confirm this would *not* void your warranty, if any?).

Put your T25 SSD into a compatible external SSD enclosure, use another computer to copy your data onto another SSD or HDD.
Be sure you copy the C:Users\ for your Desktop, Download folder, Document folder, etc. which are harder to locate.
Also remember to copy data files from your applications (eg: MS Outlook, email, etc.)

I personally would recommend doing two (2) such copy operations for two (2) separate sets of your data, just to be safe.

Then put your SSD back in to your T25, do Product Recovery.

You can also buy a T25 Product Recover USB Thumbstick from Lenovo, which would have the T25 specific drivers in it.

Good luck!
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

pkiff

#4 Post by pkiff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:27 pm

imranvp wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 pm
I use windows hello and fingerprint (whichever works) to login usually. But one day it kinda failed to recognize my face so I tried using my fingerprint. After 3 failed attempts, it does not login anymore. It asks for my PIN each time I turn the machine on. And I don't even remember inputting a PIN code.
To start at the basics, you may be able to log in using your Windows text "password" if Windows Hello and Fingerprint both fail. This is different from the "PIN" that Windows is prompting you for. You may be able to get a password prompt by clicking on the "Sign-in Options" under the PIN box?

Also, if you set up a PIN, you may have set up a Microsoft account as well, which would mean that Microsoft may be able to help you get into your Windows account somehow? I don't know how this works, but I understand that is a possibility?

You definitely have at least one additional method of logging into that machine if your fingerprint and face ID are both knackered - either a regular Windows login password, or a PIN, or both.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.