Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

tips for keeping a zombie t25 keyboard alive?

T25 Anniversary/Retro
aaa
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

tips for keeping a zombie t25 keyboard alive?

#1 Post by aaa » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:19 pm

My keyboard has been accumulating a number of different failures, such as a broken scissor on a ctrl key, an unresponsive middle mouse button, and now my t/y/tab/someotherkeys have been intermittent.

Replacements seem unobtainable since I'm not willing to shell out $300 for a keyboard (would rather replace the whole laptop and in fact have a spare...). So, I'm trying to make the one I have last as long as possible.

The scissor issue just seems to be detail work that I'm not good at so let's ignore that, I believe I was able to order replacement parts there but wasn't very good at installing them :oops:.

The unresponsive mouse button is a mystery, anyone have ideas or experience it? If I press on it really hard it functions, but that can't be healthy for the laptop or my finger. A quick look at it outside of the laptop didn't find anything jammed in there :?.

The t/y issue, I think I read was related to the seating of the ribbon cable. So I wiggled it around with the laptop on and that seemed to help quite a bit. However, a few days later and the issue seems to be coming back. Do I just wiggle it again and hope or what? This is the first time I've ever seen this kind of failure so it seems a bit strange.

gulencocuk

Re: tips for keeping a zombie t25 keyboard alive?

#2 Post by gulencocuk » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:31 am

I don't have experience with such stuff, but would this conductive paint method work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REz928pgCII&t=300s

To be honest, I had similar issues and just went ahead and bought a replacement from a Chinese website (Nordic layout - I don't mind what's written on the keys or the ISO layout).

If you don't mind the ISO layout, I suggest buying that. You can still experiment with the existing one using conductive paint.