Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows ALL update disc

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
ThinkPad560X
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Windows ALL update disc

#1 Post by ThinkPad560X » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Is there somewhere someone or some place has made a disc with all of current windows 2000,XP,Vista,7 updates on it? For example I have at least 20 Windows 7 files to install after a fresh install of windows 7. So Install w7, install a few software updates and then it allows windows service pack 1 to install "if had nonW7 sp1 install disc" and install a few more updates to get windows update to function again "for now until MS closes windows update to 7". So basically is their a complete edition of expired windows files I can download and burn to a disc? I know their is Microsoft windows catalog, but I would rather have a full complete download and then can manually install all the updates to when Microsoft quit supporting the OS.

I remember windows 95 and going online to update catalog to download software updates before windows update was a thing. But i'd like to have a full windows update CD "each of course" for windows 95,98,ME,2000,XP,Vista and 7 and eventually 8/8.1 and 10.
IBM: 760XD,770Z,600X,240,560X,560Z,570,380Z,390X,i1200,i1400,
A22m,A22e,A30,G40,R31,R40,R50,R60,R61,R400,R500,
T20,T23,T30,T40,T43,T60,T61,T400,T400s,T500,W500,W700,
X21,X30,X41,X41T,X60,X60T,X200,X200T,X300,X120e,Z60m,Z61tT410T410sT510T420T420sT520
T430T430sT430UT530T470T470sT470pT570SL500L470L570

farmall
Sophomore Member

Re: Windows ALL update disc

#2 Post by farmall » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:51 pm

I've not heard of such a thing (probably because every OS collectors has specific preferences and offering such a very large file to torrent could be a copyright issue while individual, locally legal resources would be nation-specific) but offline updaters can be had for 7 at least besides Windows 10 of course. Maintaining an updated version would be a headache.

You could leverage a personal update and driver collection build sysprep'ed install images for every version which supports that and have your own custom known-good install media. For the kind of control you probably want doing it all yourself is a minor sacrifice to build your preferred catalog that is Thinkpad-specific including drivers etc not present in Windows. There are so many Windows versions and sub-versions you'd get the granular control you need for your large Thinkpad collection that way.

Once loaded you can copy your clean installs to backup images for easy install using free tools like Clonezilla. Ventoy permits booting a variety of .iso images off a USB-connected flash or other drive. Windows PE live OS (the small ones fit on a CD) have been great install, troubleshooting and rescue tools since the early days of BartPE. Every Windows user should get familiar with what live CD, DVD, USB etc can do for you and remember Smart Boot Manager can permit booting from CD on systems that originally required a floppy. I used to store floppy images using Winimage which is great for making both self-extracting and boot images suitable for loading in CD burning software.

https://www.ntlite.com/ successor to the famously useful nLite slipstreaming tool.

http://btmgr.webframe.org/ http://btmgr.webframe.org/download.html

WSUS (see archived versions for Windows 7) https://download.wsusoffline.net/

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html Easily the most fully featured live system builder. You could have unmodified .iso images plus slipstreamed images to your taste. I've loaded it to SSDs (small sizes are trivially cheap) to install OS and load apps using common bootable ASMT etc chipset adapters.

Rufus - should need no introduction for writing Windows install images. woeusb-ng works well on my Linux machines for generating Windows install media.

The Vogons site is worth a look for older Windows support and the Internet Archive has .iso images of some ancient versions.

All that stuff could live on your home server which could include virtual machines so you can experiment on any OS you want virtually without risking an install, and VMs can be applied to hard disk in a "virtual to physical" conversion. A desktop with PATA and SATA connections and room for SATA and PATA swap racks would allow booting from any OS you prefer to generate any install media you prefer or imaging direct to hard disks before installation (which gets around machines with less cooperative or no suitable working drives).

Your master machine could boot live PE toolkits, Clonezilla or any tool you like. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... winpe.html is a current WinPE build but Bob's, FalconFour 4.0 and Hirens are worth a look. They give you an "instant desktop" preloaded with tools useful to any PC repair tech or you can build your own using various tools (sufficient exist on the Strelec image).

Your own custom restore media for all your machines isn't hard to do and copying enterprise by imaging drives instead of performing tedious installs is much faster. Let us know what you come up with as it would be of interest to others. You'd have collected all the updates anyway making all this very low effort for the lifetime of convenience. I keep the above tools but I have to support so few Windows installs so I've not set up a dedicated machine and just pull what I want off my server.

Your collection has a variety of interesting Thinkpads so as you prepare install files (OS, drivers, software, perhaps tips on your own readme text files) it would help the group if you shared the info for each machine as you go.