Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Why don't certain Windows Updates "take"? (small pic)

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Tõnis

Why don't certain Windows Updates "take"? (small pic)

#1 Post by Tõnis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Whenever I've updated Windows XP on my ThinkPad, consistently there have been two updates that have successfully installed (with the rest of any updates) yet are still there as available updates after I restart the computer and run Windows Update again. Lately it has become three updates that don't seem to "take." What is going on with the Windows Update feature and my computer? Why is this happening?

R61, Core 2 Duo T8300 at 2.40GHz, 15.4" WXGA, XP Pro

Saucey

Re: Why don't certain Windows Updates "take"? (small pic)

#2 Post by Saucey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I have had certain problems especially with a weird '0x90000001' that won't let me run anything.

Not just on my thinkpad but on my desktop too. I think I disabled updates because it would do a power cycle each time for it. Highly annoying
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook, Y50-70, T430
Collected: A31p, T43p, 2521
Past: W700ds, X1C3, 701C

Majestic

#3 Post by Majestic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Tonis, those three updates have been complained about in the past. They get stuck in an installation loop even though they were successfully installed. Microsoft doesn't have an answer and given the expiration date of XP they probably aren't looking too hard. I would do one of three things.....

First, try manually downloading and installing the updates to see if that resolves the problem. Such as.....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=29781

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40474

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=39787

Secondly, if the above didn't work, try manually uninstalling the update in Add/Remove and they manually reinstall it.

Thirdly, if none of the above worked, I would check Add/Remove to see that they were successfully installed and just ignore future notifications. You could try hiding the updates, but that might lead to warnings that you hid an important security update.
My Laptop Collection:
IdeaPad Z570, 8gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium / Win 8.1 Pro
Toshiba A75-S206, 1.5gb RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium
ThinkPad T-22 (Formerly a T-20), 512mb RAM & Win XP Pro

Tõnis

#4 Post by Tõnis » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Terrific info, Majestic. Thank you. I'm actually relieved that others have complained about these before. I thought it was only me and that some virus (or worse) was preventing me from getting the updates.

One thing I did notice about one of them (forget which one). When I expand it to look at its details, it says, "0 kb." I'll probably just leave it at that. They're either installed or they're not. I won't even bother hiding them. I do have one I didn't want which I hid a long time ago: the Windows "genuine validation tool." My copy of Windows is obviously legit, but I don't want to end up with some nag screen due to some fluke.
R61, Core 2 Duo T8300 at 2.40GHz, 15.4" WXGA, XP Pro

Majestic

#5 Post by Majestic » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:14 am

I'm glad to be of assistance.

I checked my Windows XP desktop and this is what I am showing for installed security update sizes.....

KB2862330 = 629 kb

KB2859537 = 628 kb

KB2676562 = 626 kb

On your system, what I would do is find the update that is "0" kb and manually uninstall it and then manually reinstall it. Although it is listed as being successfully installed, the Windows Update website maybe detecting it is not install because of the 0 kb size and is offering it again for download. Since some of Microsofts updates are dependent on earlier updates being properly installed and working, it maybe why the other updates are continually trying to reinstall as well. Whatever the cause it would probably be best to fix the 0 kb update problem since it is a "security update" for resolving a security issue.
My Laptop Collection:
IdeaPad Z570, 8gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium / Win 8.1 Pro
Toshiba A75-S206, 1.5gb RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium
ThinkPad T-22 (Formerly a T-20), 512mb RAM & Win XP Pro