Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

unofficial xp sp4 - xp lives on till april 2019

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
irus

unofficial xp sp4 - xp lives on till april 2019

#1 Post by irus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:24 pm

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171- ... sp4/page-3

also winxp is getting all POSReady 2009 updates till 2019 april using a simple hack

just thought id share for those who are on xp.

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: unofficial xp sp4 - xp lives on till april 2019

#2 Post by Puppy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Anyone use this on regular base ? I tried that and selected updates for critical issues only. Seems to work so far.
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Thinkpads4Life

#3 Post by Thinkpads4Life » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 am

I've been using this method on my Thinkpad T60p to get updates. All of the updates have downloaded (albeit quite slowly) and sucessfully installed on my machine without any hitches or stutters.

This statement was last updated on 3/30/2016.

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by brchan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 am

I never thought there would be an OS supported for nearly 20 years. XP has become very bloated over the years after so many updates.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

micrex22

#5 Post by micrex22 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 pm

brchan wrote:I never thought there would be an OS supported for nearly 20 years. XP has become very bloated over the years after so many updates.
My thoughts exactly; XP SP0 was a terrible OS, SP2 really fixed a lot of fundamental problems with it and that's generally the one everyone remembers whenever you point out how bad it really is and have to either remind them of SP0 or asked if they have even used it.

Because Microsoft was so tardy in releasing Vista and the poor user response, end users and corporations continued using XP for far longer than they should have. It wasn't until Windows 7 that people started to migrate (not to mention they finally got off of their P4s w/ 512 MB of RAM). Ah, but then because it was in use for so long we're at the same problem as the 386-CNC milling machines where the developers are long gone and businesses are relying on software they shouldn't.

At least with 9x you get real DOS support. With XP all you get is an outdated NT kernel and a sad emulator.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:57 pm

XP has its place. It really converged WinNT and Win9x (minus pure DOS) capabilities nicely, and it is a very good OS to have for anything between late P-III and early Core systems (or late K6-early K8 in AMD generations). Vista and Win7 are a tad too heavy for such systems (if you want to take full advantage of their capabilities, that is), and may not have optimized drivers. And for Win9x/DOS such systems are total overkill.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

micrex22

#7 Post by micrex22 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 am

dr_st wrote:XP has its place. It really converged WinNT and Win9x (minus pure DOS) capabilities nicely, and it is a very good OS to have for anything between late P-III and early Core systems (or late K6-early K8 in AMD generations). Vista and Win7 are a tad too heavy for such systems (if you want to take full advantage of their capabilities, that is), and may not have optimized drivers. And for Win9x/DOS such systems are total overkill.
Late P4 and Core are fine with Windows 7 (anything that runs vista will run 7). And the majority were advertised as vista compatible back in the day.
Drivers? Anything on intel ICH6 and above is guaranteed to work on vista/7. In fact, Win7 has more drivers for those systems than some of the newer core i and xeon series. Case in point I had to manually install some drivers under win7 on my new computer, versus Windows 8 which picks up the hardware automatically, whereas my old P4 tower Windows 7 found everything.
Oh, if we want to talk drivers and driver optimization, don't even get me started on XP 64-bit. Anyone who praises XP should run that as their primary OS.

P3 is *not* overkill for 9x especially with 3D games: have you ever ran aquanox on a P3 w/ a Voodoo 4500? The P3 sometimes causes the FPS to drop below 60: whereas with a northie it runs a lot better. I suppose we could substitute with a Voodoo 5500 as well for SLI, too. On my Athlon 64, 9x ran Warcraft 3 and Stronghold 2 way faster than XP: this was due to the OS sucking less resources.

Therefore I don't see the need for XP, it wasn't good then, and it definitely isn't good now. For all classic games it just makes sense to run 9x for performance and compatibility (and yes I can prove within seconds that 9x is not overkill for a P3 or P4: depending on what games we're talking about).

I'm not sure if I follow what you mean regarding the late K6, my K6-III drops FPS on later 9x games requiring some of my higher-end 9x boxes.

EDIT: a system like a T43 definitely has a performance deficit on Windows 7, especially with the 2 GB RAM limitation and lack of critical instruction sets. That I won't argue. A T43 would also be a bad idea for 9x gaming since it can't do ISA audio and its soundcard lacks adlib. So it's either XP, eCS or some light variety of Linux.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 am

micrex22 wrote:Late P4 and Core are fine with Windows 7 (anything that runs vista will run 7). And the majority were advertised as vista compatible back in the day.
Compatible - yes. Question is - which OS performs better and gives an overall better user experience on such hardware.
micrex22 wrote:Drivers? Anything on intel ICH6 and above is guaranteed to work on vista/7.
What about ICH3-ICH5?
micrex22 wrote:In fact, Win7 has more drivers for those systems than some of the newer core i and xeon series. Case in point I had to manually install some drivers under win7 on my new computer, versus Windows 8 which picks up the hardware automatically, whereas my old P4 tower Windows 7 found everything.
The fact that it has drivers for everything is certain, but the question is - are they optimized? Buggy? Have all features?

Experience with many generations of different hardware shows that manufacturers always invest the most in the drivers designed to run on contemporary systems. Far fewer resources are spent on adding support for new hardware to old OSes or old hardware to new OSes.
micrex22 wrote:Oh, if we want to talk drivers and driver optimization, don't even get me started on XP 64-bit. Anyone who praises XP should run that as their primary OS.
Why would anyone want to do that? Most of the systems that I think are best suited for XP are not even 64-bit capable.
micrex22 wrote:Therefore I don't see the need for XP, it wasn't good then, and it definitely isn't good now.
That's just wrong. XP, after it got past the early problems, was very good.
micrex22 wrote:For all classic games it just makes sense to run 9x for performance and compatibility
For a PC dedicated 100% to classic games - yes. If you actually want your PC to be used for general computing, then XP is much, much better than 9x. It's a semi-modern OS with a real kernel, not just a collection of hacks and patches stuck on top of DOS. There are features and use cases that one expects from a modern OS that 9x simply does not support.
micrex22 wrote:EDIT: a system like a T43 definitely has a performance deficit on Windows 7, especially with the 2 GB RAM limitation and lack of critical instruction sets. That I won't argue. A T43 would also be a bad idea for 9x gaming since it can't do ISA audio and its soundcard lacks adlib. So it's either XP, eCS or some light variety of Linux.
So, after tearing all my points one by one (never mind if I agree with everything you wrote or not), you decided to half agree with me? You just gave yourself an example of a system that (according to you, not me) works better with XP than with earlier or later versions of Windows. :?

I will give another example - I have a Thinkpad X32 dual booting XP and Win7. Both work well, but Win7 has had a lot more issues with the graphics driver, I had to try a number of hacks and unofficial versions to get it to work well, and even then not all features are supported, and no matter what I try, the battery life is consistently worse in Win7 than in XP (probably due to some missing optimization somewhere, good luck finding where). I am not the only one with such experiences; they have been duplicated by almost every one on the forum with similar hardware.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

exTPfan

#9 Post by exTPfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:37 am

micrex22: This is a thread on keeping XP running. Those of us using XP know why we're using it. We don't need advice.
Work: T60/61 FPad (Win 7, UXGA IPS); T60/61 FPad (Win 7, UXGA IPS); forever.
Toys: X1 (first gen, Win 7); T450s (Win 7).

micrex22

#10 Post by micrex22 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:19 pm

exTPfan wrote:micrex22: This is a thread on keeping XP running. Those of us using XP know why we're using it. We don't need advice.
Well I'd like to apologize: it's the fact that clients and people that I deal with still want to use the OS (it gets to the point where given the situation that a business wants you to support it, it's a total headache).

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#11 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:33 pm

dr_st wrote: and no matter what I try, the battery life is consistently worse in Win7 than in XP (probably due to some missing optimization somewhere, good luck finding where). I am not the only one with such experiences; they have been duplicated by almost every one on the forum with similar hardware.
Yep. I could never wrap my head around the loss of battery life in W7, not around the fact that there's *something* in the SP1 that gets T43p units to run much hotter than in XP or even W7 with no SP1...duh.

I currently don't own a single machine running XP. My legacy A31p is on W2K - what a thing of beauty - and will, at some point get a dual boot with OS/2...

It's good to see that people are still managing to run XP on their daily systems, although I don't miss the OS in question. At all.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Return to “Windows OS (Versions prior to Windows 7)”