Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Win98SE USB/PCMCIA Problems

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
startac

Win98SE USB/PCMCIA Problems

#1 Post by startac » Sat May 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Maybe I'm just rusty with Windows....

Here are the problems: My TransNote and 600X (as well as two Tecra 750s) are all running Win98 SE with the factory image. None of them recognize any USB stick (MSDOS or Fat32 format). They claim not to have the right driver. I put in my Win98 install disk and still can't find the right USB drivers nor can the system.

Hardware profile insists the USB controller & driver is working fine on all the computers. The TransNote will recognize that a USB stick has been inserted but not the companion IBM USB CD-ROM drive.

I tried a PCMCIA flash card and a CF -> PCMCIA adapter and while recognized, they do not show up as a drive. To make matters even more frustrating, the files I need to transfer consistently fail via infrared. With such basic methods failing, I don't even want to attempt a LAN network yet.

Having used Macs for so long, am I forgetting something about Windows? My stranded data and I appreciate any suggestions.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Win98SE USB/PCMCIA Problems

#2 Post by Neil » Sat May 09, 2015 3:08 pm

The native Win98SE USB driver stack is very limited in what it can do. First thing I used to install on a fresh Win98 was a third party USB driver pack, but I don't remember where it comes from right now. However, a quick browse of the msfn.org forum came up with this interesting project:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/91336-u ... r-win98me/

Looks like someone has modified the Win2000 USB stack for Win98se. Might be something to try.

Edit: Found the USB Mass Storage Device Driver is used to use: http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

startac

#3 Post by startac » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Neil, thank you very much for those links! I loaded the UK driver with success. At first it didn't work. Device Manager reported a USB Hub Transfer Request Failure. I swapped sticks to a SanDisk Cruzer, and voila! USB! It was easy on the TransNote thanks to its built-in Ethernet. I have misplaced those irritating Ethernet dongles to the PC cards for the 600X and Tecras.

I am going to see if a Mac or Linux format will change the way 98SE sees the drive it won't mount. The only remaining oddity is that the TransNote still will not recognize (or power) the USB CD drive. It powers up with my ThinkPad X220 and the drive is new, so I am sill puzzled by that. Any thoughts?

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Neil » Sat May 09, 2015 6:22 pm

The TransNote's USB ports may not provide adequate power for the CD drive. Plus it's BIOS just may not support USB CD drives. I don't know, I've never owned or even seen a Transnote up close and in person.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

startac

#5 Post by startac » Mon May 11, 2015 3:41 pm

The drive is the correct accessory for the TransNote and as I learned through (remembering) how to check devices in Windows, reports that it is functioning normally.

I am embarrassed to say, the drive seems to be stuck. As a new-in-box drive, its been fine but now the spindle is so stiff it won't rotate on its own. It looks like its cross over Ethernet time.

I would like to thank you again for your help with the USB drivers. I sent via infrared (an essential tool) the drivers to my Tecras and not only liberated some important data, but also made those computers usable again. Thank you!