Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Backup and Restore Question

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
thomase13
Freshman Member

Backup and Restore Question

#1 Post by thomase13 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:04 pm

I was looking to reinstall Windows XP on my T60p since it has slowed down and developed a number of problems over the years with corrupted system files, (e.g., Open/Save dialog issues, Firefox's menu bar is corrupted, Windows Media Player won’t roll back below version 10 anymore, etc.)
But then I thought that instead of ordering a restore disc, I should just use a Rescue and Recovery Backup from a few years ago!

What I'm wondering is the easiest way to restore files and system settings. Files and Settings Transfer Wizard? System Migration Assistant?
I've used the latter before, but I was actually migrating between systems, not just to a earlier version of the same system.
My greatest concern is the retention of metadata, especially for "date created" which seems to be lost quite often!
I'm doing a full disk image with Macrium Reflect just in case something goes terribly wrong, but I don't know how easy it is to just extract files and settings from this.

Thanks,
Thomas
Last edited by thomase13 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theterminator93
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Backup and Restore Question

#2 Post by theterminator93 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:45 pm

I don't typically venture into restoring settings - however (assuming XP) all your files are under C:\Documents and Settings\%username%. Normally I'll take a backup of that entire directory then selectively restore the sub directories (e.g. desktop/documents etc.). I've never actually tried the built-in migration wizards before, but it may be worth a shot.

You can move your entire Firefox profile (it's under application data, a hidden folder) over which includes your bookmarks, history, saved passwords etc. Here's an article about that: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/transfer ... 78755.html
T480 with T25 keyboard | T25 | W520 i7-2860QM·Quadro 2000m·IPS FHD | T601F T9900·NVS 140m·LED AFFS UXGA
T420 IPS FHD | X220 IPS FHD | T61p·T61·43·42p|X13 Yoga G3·220T·301·41T·24·23·22|G41|A31p·22m|i1200|TransNote
600|770Z|770|760XD|760EL|701C|755C