Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can't update Flash player or iTunes in Vista

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Donal
Freshman Member

Can't update Flash player or iTunes in Vista

#1 Post by Donal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:56 pm

My one T400 with Vista was being used in the garage to listen to Pandora with Firefox. Pandora just stopped. Internet connection was lost. Got a message to update Flash player. Flash would not update. Switched to Internet Explorer and it worked for awhile, then , it lost connection. Could not update Flash player. After hours and hours of trying this, that, and the other, including a system re-install, I've found that I cannot update Flash in Vista. Also cannot install iTunes in Vista. Am able to listen to Pandora using Google Chrome, but it's giving a message that it will do no more updates. Is Vista plumb dead? I'm wondering what I'm going to do. I have several laptops with Vista installed. Anyone else having these problems? So far , I've just fooled with the one T400. Guess I should check the others. If Vista is indeed gone, what's my resolution? Any comments appreciated.

Donal
Freshman Member

Re: Can't update Flash player or iTunes in Vista

#2 Post by Donal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Dug out one of my T61s and fired it up. Vista with Firefox. Played Pandora for a good while without losing internet connection. Also updated Flash player with no problem. iTunes is already installed. All seems normal. Maybe something going on with the T400 that's causing it to lose internet connection and not update Flash player. Earlier, on the T400, the iTunes specified requirements of Win 7 or later, even though it stated it was for XP and Vista. Thought that was curious. Looks like I'll be doing some more digging.

UMPC2024

#3 Post by UMPC2024 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:46 pm

So to answer your questions:
Solution to replacing Vista: Windows 7 isn't that bad, I see you've already posted a WTB request in the forums.
Google Chrome: Yes I get the same message at the top that says "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Vista is no longer supported.", but that's given since Vista extended support is over on 4/11/2017. However, the native flash player in Chrome is working for me. If you're looking for a Google Chrome alternative Iron browser isn't too bad, it doesn't have flash player integrated though.
iTunes: I can't install iTunes either. The installer downloaded fine from the Apple site, but I when I left-click and Run as administrator on it, nothing happens. If you've got an old .exe file that you use on your other machines, you might give that a try. Is it imperative that you have an updated version of iTunes?
Flash Player: When you mean that you can't update flash player do you mean AFTER your system re-install? And if so, you already have flash player installed then? Have you tried https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and then selecting Windows 7/Vista/XP and then FP 21 for Firefox - NPAPI?

I don't think it has anything to do with updates. I'm running a Vista Business that I installed in January and haven't updated it since. And if it matters, I'm using a T410.

Donal
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Donal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Fired up my other T400, running Vista with Firefox. I've used Firefox for many years. Opened Firefox and went to Pandora Radio. Would not play. Immediately got a message to upgrade to a more current browser or install a newer version of flash. I downloaded a newer version of Flash. It downloaded just fine, but when I double clicked to install it, nothing happened. Firefox has been updated, so I don't know what is meant by updating to a more current browser. On the other T400, I tried Safari and Internet Explorer with similar results. If I am remembering correctly, Pandora , initially did play for a period of time on Firefox and Internet Explorer, but the would quit, losing the internet connection. That was yesterday, April 1st. (April Fool"s)
Today , it is not playing at all on the T400s, but it isn't losing the internet connection either. As I said in my other post, the T61 with Vista and Firefox plays Pandora and updates Flash with absolutely no problem. I would like to live happily ever after with Vista, Firefox and Pandora, but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen on my T400s and I just don't know why.

Donal
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Donal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Well, fired up T400 #3 with Vista and Firefox. When I tried playing Pandora, got a message that Firefox had prevented an outdated version of Flash Player from running and asked did I want to continue blocking or allow. I clicked on allow, but then pretty quick clicked to update Flash Player. It allowed me to update the Flash player! Player updated with no problem and ran Pandora. Already had iTunes installed, and it allowed me to update that.
Guess I still have some figuring out to do.

Donal
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Donal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:11 am

UMPC2024 wrote:So to answer your questions:
Solution to replacing Vista: Windows 7 isn't that bad, I see you've already posted a WTB request in the forums.
Google Chrome: Yes I get the same message at the top that says "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Vista is no longer supported.", but that's given since Vista extended support is over on 4/11/2017. However, the native flash player in Chrome is working for me. If you're looking for a Google Chrome alternative Iron browser isn't too bad, it doesn't have flash player integrated though.
iTunes: I can't install iTunes either. The installer downloaded fine from the Apple site, but I when I left-click and Run as administrator on it, nothing happens. If you've got an old .exe file that you use on your other machines, you might give that a try. Is it imperative that you have an updated version of iTunes?
Flash Player: When you mean that you can't update flash player do you mean AFTER your system re-install? And if so, you already have flash player installed then? Have you tried https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and then selecting Windows 7/Vista/XP and then FP 21 for Firefox - NPAPI?

I don't think it has anything to do with updates. I'm running a Vista Business that I installed in January and haven't updated it since. And if it matters, I'm using a T410.
Can't update Flash before or after. I did update Flash on one of my T400s. Had no problem doing it and it performed well with Pandora. I now have number 3 T400 hooked up and when I try to install Flash Player , it crashes. I tried like you said, "selecting Windows 7/Vista/XP and then FP 21 for Firefox - NPAPI" and it still crashed Firefox. Flash Player won't run at all on this T400 with Vista. On the first T400 , I recall that I connected via wifi , here at the house, after re-install, and it did well. When I took it to the garage and connected by ethernet, there was a problem. So at this point, I have a T61 and a T400 that will run with Vista, Firefox, and Flash Player. And I have 2 T400s that will not run with Vista, Firefox and Flash Player.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by dr_st » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:28 am

Try downloading and manually installing the Adobe Flash Extended Support Release (ESR) from this page:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html

(apparently they are about to remove the links; get them while you can)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

UMPC2024

#8 Post by UMPC2024 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Also what version(s) of Firefox are you running? Have you tried getting the latest Firefox either regular or ESR and then installing flash?
Have you tried getting your other two T400 to have the same configuration as your working T400? Trying to isolate the variables would help narrow down a solution.

Donal
Freshman Member

#9 Post by Donal » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:33 am

dr_st wrote:Try downloading and manually installing the Adobe Flash Extended Support Release (ESR) from this page:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html

(apparently they are about to remove the links; get them while you can)
Thanks for the suggestion. Went there and downloaded the player. Firefox crashed.
UMPC2024 wrote:Also what version(s) of Firefox are you running? Have you tried getting the latest Firefox either regular or ESR and then installing flash?
Have you tried getting your other two T400 to have the same configuration as your working T400? Trying to isolate the variables would help narrow down a solution.
I think that may be the key! The T400 that was ok had an older version of Firefox. Version 36.0.1. The current version 45.0.1 is the one that is having problems. I'll have to check the other T400, but have a feeling that is the key. Thanks a bunch!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:17 am

Dump Firefox and change over to it's derivative Pale Moon.
Add Firemin to that to prevent any memory leaks and you're laughing!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Donal
Freshman Member

#11 Post by Donal » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:54 am

Well, don't know what caused the conflict with Flash player, Firefox and Vista, but it is now a moot point. Thanks to this forum and it's members, I was able to install Win 7 on my three T400s and my T61, and everything is running smooth as can be. It has been a learning experience, and I want to thank everybody for their help. :D

Don.