Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows Update Problem

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
taichi

Windows Update Problem

#1 Post by taichi » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Running Vista 32 on my ThinkPad T60. For a few weeks now, Windows Update has been a bit funky. On a number of occasions, downloading updates were at 0% for 10 or 15 minutes before the indicator showed a real percentage of downloads. The other day Windows Update was in a perpetual loop at 0%.

I ran a Microsoft HotFix, which didn't help. I was then sent a single module from Tweaking.com Windows Repair All-In-One, and that fixed some things according to the module, but trustedinstaller.exe was shown to be missing. I download the full Windows Repair All-In-One, but have not run it yet. I also downloaded Fix WU from the Windows Club, but have not run that either.

I'm wondering if the installation of Hitman 2 might have deleted trustedinstaller.exe, and considering doing a system restore from five weeks ago, prior to the installation.

Has anyone run Fix Wu? Will it restore trustedinstaller?

Thamks

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Windows Update Problem

#2 Post by brchan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:07 pm

It seems like this person is having the same issue:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... vistasetup and got it resolved by following one of the methods.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

taichi

Re: Windows Update Problem

#3 Post by taichi » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, the story seems to have a happy ending.

I had run across the article you linked to, and some others, but they all seem to have an inordinate number of complicated steps, and in many cases no good conclusion.

So I used administrative tools and checked processes. Trustedinstaller was there, but the service had been stopped for some unknown reason. The reason the repair module could not find it was not because it was not there, but because the process had been stopped. Similarly, a file search was unable to find it.

So I set it from manual to automatic, hit Start, Apply, and OK, crossed my fingers, and restarted the computer.

Lo and behold, the 89 megabytes of downloads popped up quickly, downloaded, and installed.

I'm still going to analyze what could have stopped the service. I suspect that it was the installation of the game Hitman 2, as WU started acting wonky around that time, before stopping altogether weeks later. Nevertheless., I'm glad that I'm up and running again.