Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Weird Problem: Applications not loading up

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
h dawg

Weird Problem: Applications not loading up

#1 Post by h dawg » Thu May 06, 2004 9:11 pm

Hi there,

I'm having this weird problem with my T41p lately: After the 4th installation already the problem happens again and again. At some point after installing software all IBM Programs (such as Access Connection, Message Center, Harddisk Protection etc.) and MSN messenger, Anit Virus protection wont load up. It took me some time to figure out that in my registry the Windows/Currentversion/run directory was empty.
I cannot say its a specifc applications fault as this problem occurs randomly after rebooting the thinkpad. System Restore brings back everything except for the application I installed before. Reinstalling it does not necessarily mean the problem will occur again, so there is no pattern in my Thinkpads behavior...
I am really disappointed with IBM, technical support couldnt help me of course saying its the other softwares fault. At least Bluetooth works now thanks to badlydrawn & co.

Maybe you guys can provide some help - thanks

hdawg

BILLCROCKER
Freshman Member

#2 Post by BILLCROCKER » Fri May 07, 2004 11:00 am

What's the software you're trying to install?
-Bill

T41p: Never had a fan problem or a hard drive crash

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Fri May 07, 2004 11:06 am

If you are willing, try reinstalling (reimaging) your machine with F11. Backup data first. Reinstall via F11, do all available Windows patches and upgrades, download and install the latest versions of all your IBM software. Then re-install your applications. I have run through 4 Thinkpads (A22e, T23, T30 and now T41). Never had that problem, and all four worked well and as advertised. ... jdhurst

h dawg

#4 Post by h dawg » Fri May 07, 2004 8:44 pm

Sorry, I meant it was the 4th installation from the preload. I even got myself a new preload and had the same problem again.
Its not a specific program that causes these apps to disappear, it just happens sometimes after rebooting...