Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 95 recovery disks stuck with fat16

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

Windows 95 recovery disks stuck with fat16

#1 Post by onespeedbiker » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 pm

So, I have been using a recovery disk to install Windows 95 on my 385ed, and discovered one has no choice, using the IBM recovery disk boot disk than allow the recovery disk to partition and format a hard drive with fat16; max 2gb partitions. Is there a boot disk out there that works with the old recovery disks that will use fat32?

onespeedbiker
Sophomore Member

Re: Windows 95 recovery disks stuck with fat16

#2 Post by onespeedbiker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Well I figured it out. First, Windows 95 DOS fdisk supports Fat32, so if you have a hdd larger than 4GB, you can run fdisk after the win95 install. FAT16 will create a primary partition up to 2GB and any subsequent extended partition up to 2GB, so you would need a hdd larger than 4 GB to take advantage of a logical driver over 2 GB). There is also a conversion utility, CVT.exe that can be found with Win98 (or download from the web), that will convert any FAT16 partition to FAT32, including the Windows 95 primary DOS partition leaving the operating system (windows 9x) still functional, with no need for an reinstall. The only caveat is the Primary DOS partition will still have a max size of 2GB, but any other logical drives can be made up to 2TB.