Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[Solved] KpyM SSH doesn't run on X41 but runs on R51

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
omero72

[Solved] KpyM SSH doesn't run on X41 but runs on R51

#1 Post by omero72 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:40 am

Hello

I've installed the KpyM SSH Server http://www.kpym.com/2/kpym/index.htm and configured it as a service using the nssm https://nssm.cc on my R51 and it's been running perfectly fine: I can access it from PuTTY both from localhost and network and macOS's terminal.

So I've decided to install the same KpyM on X41 and configured it using the same nssm, but when I try to access it whether from localhost or network using PuTTY it always gives "Network error: Connection refused" error. When I check the daemon.exe which is the KpyM binary, it's there on task list, up and running.

I can't get help on KpyM's web forum because it's been flooded with spam for the last 9 months.

I can't think of any reasons why it can run on one machine but not on another with the same OS.

Update: The problem's solved. After I've taken a closer look at the installation folder I've noticed two .bat files one of them being setup.bat I've opened it on ConEmu (an advanced version of CMD.exe) and a list of options has appeared. The first of them was "install service" I've selected it and it installed the daemon.exe as a service. then I've selected the last option named "generate RSA key" . The KpyM SSH server then started to run perfectly. Problem's solved
Last edited by omero72 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: KpyM SSH doesn't run on X41 but runs on R51

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am

Maybe change the IP-address?
Or check if the MAC-address is used anywhere.
Modify the settings to reflect a different laptop?
No idea what else, since I know nothing about what you are doing.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

omero72

Re: KpyM SSH doesn't run on X41 but runs on R51

#3 Post by omero72 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:49 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am
The KpyM SSH server doesn't depend on the IP or MAC address so it won' t make any difference.

Btw, assuming you're not using a SSH server, it's a very useful app if you're using several computers on different rooms, stairs, or buildings because you can safely carry out many tasks on remote computers such as viewing/editing copying text files, shut down the computer, etc.

I still try to make it run on X41. I've just noticed that on X41 the KpyM doesn't even start up properly, it doesn't srart logging and I can't see any log files to tell what's going wrong. So I should first make it start up properly.