Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to improve your machine (warning: Some dollars involved)

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
jdhurst
Admin
Admin

How to improve your machine (warning: Some dollars involved)

#1 Post by jdhurst » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:55 pm

I have been experimenting with tools for my ThinkPad (and on my NetVista Desktop) with some positive results.

Summary: That processes slow down a machine - Myth. That properly maintained Windows slows down over time - Myth. That a properly maintained Preload is crap and slow - Myth.

Here are things that *work*

1. IE Temporary files. The default setting is 1.2 Gb and *that* will slow down your machine. Purchase a copy of Cache Sentry Pro, set the IE cache to 80 Mb max, set Cache Sentry for 20 Mb and IE temporary files will be a thing of the past. Set and forget.

2. Defrag your hard drive regularly. I recommend PerfectDisk. I am running PD V8 Beta build 15 and it just flies. Excellent tool. I run it every day at noon (because I don't leave my laptop on overnight). Set and forget.

3. Get rid of SpyWare and Malware. I recommend AdAware Pro. Set it to be ruthless, set it to run each day and auto update using Windows Scheduler ("C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe" /smart +update +silent +auto). Spyware will be a thing of the past. Set and forget.

4. Keep your registry fresh. I recommend Registry First Aid. The newest version (5.1) maintains its excellence for registry garbage collection and now adds registry defrag. I have run the registry defrag twice now on my laptop (about a month apart). I am saving nearly a minute at start up time. This one is manual - run it monthly.

5. I run FreeMem Pro V5.2. This manages memory and frees up memory that applications don't free up on exit. V5.2 works very well. Version 5.3 is out, but it does not free up as well. I can recommend V5.2 but not 5.3 at this point. Runs with Windows automatically.

6. I run the 60Gb 7200-rpm hard drive. Very fast.

I do these six things (amongst others). I have 80 processes running. CPU runs less than 2 percent 95 percent of the time. I always have at least 256Mb of free ram at any point in time unless I have a second simultaneous machine running.

And most importantly: My ThinkPad is just flying. It is every bit as fast as when it was new. There is no crap of any kind. I have not had to reinstall Windows to solve a problem. I have every Windows update there is, I have every IBM update there is (for the apps I run), I have every Office 2003 update there is, and I have the newest revision of every application I run (except FreeMem Pro noted above).

Cheers, ... JD Hurst
Last edited by jdhurst on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjesusfreak01

#2 Post by jjesusfreak01 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Question: How did you get the PerfectDisc Beta, and do you have any idea when it is going commercial. I bought V7 last night, and have 90 days to upgrade free if the new version comes out.
Lenovo X230 Tablet CTO modded with 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM
Lenovo T60 2637-UN6 (Retired)

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:53 pm

I had talked to Raxco some time back and they invited me into the V7 Beta and then recently into the V8 Beta. I don't know yet when V8 will go commercial, but I will want to upgrade myself. I started with V6 and found V7 to be a bit slower than V6, and now find V8 to be as fast or faster than V6. ... JD Hurst

DavidNZ

#4 Post by DavidNZ » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Good tips, JD. For those with slow HDDs like me (X40), PerfectDisk is quite good. I bought it a while back (version 7) and I immediately noticed a difference in day-to-day performance/disk access. For registry cleaning, I use RegSupreme 1.3. Might investigate Registry First Aid as I know JD has been recommending it for quite some time.

I generally do not run a software firewall at home as I'm the only computer behind a NAT router. At the office I'll turn on Windows firewall, just to protect from those also within the network.
X40 (2371-6EM) w/ 768 RAM
XPP SP2
DLINK DI-614+

jjesusfreak01

#5 Post by jjesusfreak01 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:49 pm

jdhurst wrote:I had talked to Raxco some time back and they invited me into the V7 Beta and then recently into the V8 Beta. I don't know yet when V8 will go commercial, but I will want to upgrade myself. I started with V6 and found V7 to be a bit slower than V6, and now find V8 to be as fast or faster than V6. ... JD Hurst
Well, thats good. Thanks for the info. I have contacted them, and I hope they will let me into the beta program.

akhavan
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#6 Post by akhavan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:08 am

Hi,

I had a coupon and bought Registry First Aid Platinum.

Good news

It found over 2200 invalid registry which surprised me because I don't download anything except when I need it and usually I purchase it. I still use my window 98 on 770z without a problem (touch wood!)

Now the bad news

1- After reboot I did not notice any improvement in speed

2- The backup program SyncBackSE did not work anymore for backing my documents. I got 12 errors. In Event viewer there was Error for window shadow backup. Error Vss according to MS one of my registry sub Keys were wrong. They suggested to check each one of them. Yes right

3- After reboot I did the def rag the registry after it finished it ask for a reboot. Right after IBM Logo I got an error message "window32/Congi is missing or corrupted" it suggested for me to put my Window XP CD for repair. Of course I do not have a Window XP CD . I ghost from my backup disk and updated my data. I was lucky didn't miss any data except some time.

Have not decided if I will ask for refund. But I suggest for anybody else to make a backup before trying it.

Sepehr

P.S. This registry cleaner from MS seems to be safer and free but not as through

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/center/cleanup.htm

vikingboy

#7 Post by vikingboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:26 am

akhavan wrote:Hi,

I had a coupon and bought Registry First Aid Platinum.
an you share the coupon with us (or PM me).
Im going to give it a go.

thx
Ian

PS if this breaks forum rules, sorry :)
IBM X31, 1.7Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB 7200rpm
IBM X60, 1.8Ghz, 2.0GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm

sco1984
Sophomore Member

Re: How to improve your machine (warning: Some dollars invol

#8 Post by sco1984 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:51 pm

jdhurst wrote:I have been experimenting with tools for my ThinkPad (and on my NetVista Desktop) with some positive results.

4. Keep your registry fresh. I recommend Registry First Aid. The newest version (5.1) maintains its excellence for registry garbage collection and now adds registry defrag. I have run the registry defrag twice now on my laptop (about a month apart). I am saving nearly a minute at start up time. This one is manual - run it monthly.

Cheers, ... JD Hurst

My question is, after Registery cleaner removes bad registries and
in case my OS crahes, then will "IBM Rescue and Recovery" work
even after some registry entries has been deleted ? :?

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by jdhurst » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:08 pm

I can't comment on Rescue and Recovery. I have not had Registry First Aid go bad on me (and that goes back through several sub-versions into version 4). It has removed entries on my ThinkPad that were mucking up Access Connections (errors of my own making) and I was grateful for that.

In the case of Registry cleaners, always read the documentation and the warnings. I initially backed up the registry, and then (as well as now) I review all the entries it will remove. If I have any questions, I uncheck the entry. Also, I let Registry First Aid make a file of removed entries. That allows you to restore them.

I use this application on two computers (Desktop and Laptop) and it has not broken either, but registry cleaners always come with abundant warnings.
... JD Hurst

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

Cache Sentry question

#10 Post by krosenstein » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm

JD-

Great recommendations! I bought Registry 1st Aid and was able to get a copy of FreeMem v.5.2.

I have a question about Cache Sentry. I use Firefox, so is Cache Sentry still necessary because of all the admin stuff the IE does?

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#11 Post by asiafish » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Wow Jim, this is the most useful post I've read on this forum, and I've read many useful posts. Just killing the browser cache in IE (which I very rarely use) sped my machine up noticeably, while cleaning the registry gave me another speed boost as I cleared out over 900 entries.

Sadly the 7200RPM drive isn't an option on the X41, but after the cleanup my computer is just flying along.

Also, I totally second your recommendation of PerfectDisk. I don't have the beta and yes, Version 7 is a bit slow, but it does an outstanding job and has gotten faster in recent builds.
"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins, 2002

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

Re: Cache Sentry question

#12 Post by jdhurst » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 pm

krosenstein wrote:<snip>
I have a question about Cache Sentry. I use Firefox, so is Cache Sentry still necessary because of all the admin stuff the IE does?
Cache Sentry automates cache at a useable level. IE can clear it each time, but frequent site visits cause extra reloading. Necessary? No. Really, really nice to have? Yes.
... JD Hurst

Qrmunoz

#13 Post by Qrmunoz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:53 pm

jdhurst wrote:I have been experimenting with tools for my ThinkPad (and on my NetVista Desktop) with some positive results.

Summary: That processes slow down a machine - Myth. That properly maintained Windows slows down over time - Myth. That a properly maintained Preload is crap and slow - Myth.

Here are things that *work*

1. IE Temporary files. The default setting is 1.2 Gb and *that* will slow down your machine. Purchase a copy of Cache Sentry Pro, set the IE cache to 80 Mb max, set Cache Sentry for 20 Mb and IE temporary files will be a thing of the past. Set and forget.

2. Defrag your hard drive regularly. I recommend PerfectDisk. I am running PD V8 Beta build 15 and it just flies. Excellent tool. I run it every day at noon (because I don't leave my laptop on overnight). Set and forget.

3. Get rid of SpyWare and Malware. I recommend AdAware Pro. Set it to be ruthless, set it to run each day and auto update using Windows Scheduler ("C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe" /smart +update +silent +auto). Spyware will be a thing of the past. Set and forget.

5. I run FreeMem Pro V5.2. This manages memory and frees up memory that applications don't free up on exit. V5.2 works very well. Version 5.3 is out, but it does not free up as well. I can recommend V5.2 but not 5.3 at this point. Runs with Windows automatically.

6. I run the 60Gb 7200-rpm hard drive. Very fast.

I do these six things (amongst others). I have 80 processes running. CPU runs less than 2 percent 95 percent of the time. I always have at least 256Mb of free ram at any point in time unless I have a second simultaneous machine running.

And most importantly: My ThinkPad is just flying. It is every bit as fast as when it was new. There is no crap of any kind. I have not had to reinstall Windows to solve a problem. I have every Windows update there is, I have every IBM update there is (for the apps I run), I have every Office 2003 update there is, and I have the newest revision of every application I run (except FreeMem Pro noted above).

Cheers, ... JD Hurst
Deleting Or making your tempory files folder will not help at all if anything it will slow down your machine becuse sites access your temp internet files instead of the web for faster speed just like cookies.

Why would you pay for a defragger when the defualt windows on Is just as good.

use regseeker to clean out the regestry its free and Works great.

Why would you run FreeMem Pro V5.2 when its the same thing as restarting your machine. RAM memory is cleared on a restart

and 80 proceesses on a windows machine is ALOT use msconfig to turn off unneeded proceses you can easily get down to 16 With no problems

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by jdhurst » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:05 am

Qrmunoz wrote:<snip>
Deleting Or making your tempory files folder will not help at all if anything it will slow down your machine becuse sites access your temp internet files instead of the web for faster speed just like cookies.

Why would you pay for a defragger when the defualt windows on Is just as good.

use regseeker to clean out the regestry its free and Works great.

Why would you run FreeMem Pro V5.2 when its the same thing as restarting your machine. RAM memory is cleared on a restart

and 80 proceesses on a windows machine is ALOT use msconfig to turn off unneeded proceses you can easily get down to 16 With no problems
1. Keeping my cache at 20Mb keeps recent cache available and does not slow the machine down. I use Cache Sentry so as not to delete it all (The IE clear on exit function)
2. Perfect Disk is *vastly* superior to the built-in defragger. It is *much* faster; totally automatic; and can be used by restricted users.
3. I do not turn my desktop off at all. Three years later (except for a couple of vacations) it remains running and Freemem cleans up. I even see the value on my laptop.
4. Once again, processes do not slow down a machine if they are not in use, and most aren't at any point in time.

Remember the thesis of the original post: Here are things that work (for the most part) silently and automatically. You are correct that you don't need to use these tools. I am not pushing anyone.
... JD Hurst

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by jdhurst » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:47 pm

jjesusfreak01 wrote:Question: How did you get the PerfectDisc Beta, and do you have any idea when it is going commercial. I bought V7 last night, and have 90 days to upgrade free if the new version comes out.
I now have V8 running. It will be released September 12, but they made it available to me a couple of days ago. The production version runs great - it is the best of V6, V7 and V8. ... JD Hurst

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#16 Post by mattbiernat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:16 pm

jdhurst wrote: Summary: That processes slow down a machine - Myth. That properly maintained Windows slows down over time - Myth. That a properly maintained Preload is crap and slow - Myth.
Jd,
is there any chance that this topic could become a "Sticky." i think the information you provided here is very helpful. it basicly gave me answer to the most common problems that i had with windows. a lot of other people who don't know a lot about windows could benefit from this too. and "Sticky" would make it more acessible for everyone.
-matt

truthiness
Freshman Member

#17 Post by truthiness » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm

I've been using CCleaner and have been happy with the results.

It's freeware and regularly updated: http://www.ccleaner.com/

jjesusfreak01

#18 Post by jjesusfreak01 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:30 pm

jdhurst wrote:
jjesusfreak01 wrote:Question: How did you get the PerfectDisc Beta, and do you have any idea when it is going commercial. I bought V7 last night, and have 90 days to upgrade free if the new version comes out.
I now have V8 running. It will be released September 12, but they made it available to me a couple of days ago. The production version runs great - it is the best of V6, V7 and V8. ... JD Hurst
Well, thats cool. Ive got the Beta, and am going to stick with it til the 12th to ask for an upgrade. The beta has been very good. There were no versions I tested that were unstable.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by jdhurst » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 pm

mattbiernat wrote:<snip>
Jd,
is there any chance that this topic could become a "Sticky." i think the information you provided here is very helpful. it basicly gave me answer to the most common problems that i had with windows. a lot of other people who don't know a lot about windows could benefit from this too. and "Sticky" would make it more acessible for everyone.
-matt
Thank you, Matt. Done. JDH

Nick Y

#20 Post by Nick Y » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:01 am

Just to add my two-pennyworth:

I use PerfectDisc every couple of weeks, although I do notice at times that it leaves holes. Hence I also use the ever-so-slow system defragger every few months; this also has the advantage in that it will run in safe mode, whereas PerfectDisc will not. (Looking forward to version 8.)

I use CCleaner, set to clear IE and Firefox caches at startup. (I almost always shutdown, rather than go to standby.) For shutdown, standby, restart, etc. I have found a handy little system-tray tool called 'Quick Shutdown', which I prefer to use. (Free at http://www.winutility.com/?from=prog_qsd)

Finally, may I recommend http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... lities.htm with an email (free) subscription to get even more. Title says it all.

Nick
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG

dfumento

#21 Post by dfumento » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:05 pm

From Tom's Hardware: Optimizing Your Laptop.
http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/10/24/ ... _computer/
X201s: 1440x900 LED backlit 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, 160 GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Verizon 4G LTE USB modem, USB 2.0 external optical drive, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
Previous Models: A21p, A30p, A31p, T42, X41T, X60s, X61s, X200s

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by jdhurst » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:28 pm

The main hypothesis of that article was to remove startup processes. The article allowed that you needed a bunch for later operation.

I can say (from running my Desktop non-stop for years) that startup processes do NOT, by themselves, slow down a computer. Set right, and maintained, my CPU runs under 2 percent 99 percent of the time and the computer is NOT slow.

It is slow to start (so is my laptop) and I have always said so. But once started, they are fast (and that was the hypothesis of my original post). If you don't want tasks running - fine and dandy, but there is no value in being a lemming.
... JD Hurst

Hamid
Freshman Member

#23 Post by Hamid » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:24 pm

I do agree that running processes don't necessarily slow down a computer directly if they are not active and don't use the CPU, but they have a noticeable INDIRECT impact on the performance of your machine; processes do consume RAM and the more processes you run the less amount of RAM will be available to the rest of your applications. This will result in more PAGING done by your OS and since the hard disk is the slowest part, you will notice excessive pagings easily.

You may have not noticed the slow down since most people don't push their systems that much and don't run RAM hungry applications that much.

Hamid
T2500(2GHz), 1GB RAM, 100GB 5400rpm HDD, 15" SXGA+, 128MB ATI X1400, Intel 802.11abg, NMB keyboard !!!

pkiff

#24 Post by pkiff » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:14 pm

dfumento wrote:From Tom's Hardware: Optimizing Your Laptop.
http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/10/24/ ... _computer/
I did a quick skim through this article and most of it makes reasonable sense to me, but I have a question about one recommendation.

The OP does not include "turn off System Restore" as a means of speeding up XP. The article however lists this as one of the first steps.

I've seen apparently reasonable website articles about tweaking XP that say that turning off system restore will not in fact speed up your system in any noticeable/real way. (See also: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP from Microsoft). I currently have them turned off on my 600X PIII 850, but I cannot say that I've noticed any performance increase (though I haven't tested either).

Does anyone have any solid experience or knowledge with the effect of System Restore on performace in XP?

Phil.
X1E Gen 4 · X1T 3rd Gen · W520 · Legacy: P52, T60p, X61T, 600X, 770Z
Nostalgic for: 600X PIII 850MHz in a SelectaDock III with 64MB Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#25 Post by jdhurst » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:39 pm

I have run it both ways and see no impact on performance. I leave it on now, and don't have any issues with it. ... JD Hurst

ashleys

#26 Post by ashleys » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:17 pm

I do agree that running processes don't necessarily slow down a computer directly if they are not active and don't use the CPU, but they have a noticeable INDIRECT impact on the performance of your machine; processes do consume RAM and the more processes you run the less amount of RAM will be available to the rest of your applications. This will result in more PAGING done by your OS and since the hard disk is the slowest part, you will notice excessive pagings easily.

Truly idle applications should not cause excessive paging because they will have been swapped out well before then (swapping being a more efficient mechanism than paging).

On a similar topic, does anyone know whether W2K or XP implemented block paging ?

dfumento

#27 Post by dfumento » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 pm

http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/11/30/ ... page9.html

Info on Perfect Disk 8.0. I have been using it and advantages over Windows and other defrags:
1. Will run with 5% free disk instead of the 15-20% of others.
2. Will run when screen saver is running.
3. Boot time defrag for system files,etc.
4. Can be set to defrag and then set the system off.
X201s: 1440x900 LED backlit 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, 160 GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Verizon 4G LTE USB modem, USB 2.0 external optical drive, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
Previous Models: A21p, A30p, A31p, T42, X41T, X60s, X61s, X200s

pedromsouza

#28 Post by pedromsouza » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Why don't you use Windows programs instead? To defrag, etc.
IBM Thinkpad T30 2367-DL2
Original configuration
Windows XP SP2

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#29 Post by jdhurst » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Because Perfect Disk is easily about a billion times better than the Windows tool.

It is faster (much faster).
It works better.
It can be more easily scheduled.
It works silently (while you are working).
And (BIG AND) it works in restricted user mode.

One of the few tools, like SpinRite, that does what it says on the box with no ifs, no ands, no buts, and no fuss.

Best software spend you can make.
... JD Hurst

andrewb
Freshman Member

#30 Post by andrewb » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:17 am

I am sold, and my $40 has been handed over with pleasure. I have just finished trialling Perfect Disk and my machine is running like new. A superb recommendation, and so much more effective than the Windows tool.

Thank you to the knowledgable contributors here for sharing your widsom on this, and much more besides.