Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

XP Recovery Techniques

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

XP Recovery Techniques

#1 Post by Kyocera » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Windows XP Recovery Techniques (from Cybex MCSA/SE WinXPPro 3rd Edition)

Event Viewer - If the Windows XP operating system can be loaded through Normal or Safe Mode, one of the first places to look for hints about the problem is Event Viewer. Event Viewer displays System, Security and Application Logs.

Safe Mode - This is generally your starting point for system recovery. Safe Mode loads the absolute minimum of services and drivers that are needed to boot Windows XP. If you can load Safe Mode, you may be able to troubleshoot devices or services that keep Windows XP from loading normally.

Last Known Good Configuration - This option can help if you made changes to your computer and are now having problems. Last Known Good Configuration is an Advanced Options Menu item that you can select during startup. IT loads the configuration that was used the last time the computer booted successfully. This option will not help if you have a hardware problem.

Driver Rollback - Driver Rollback is used to restore a driver to a previous version that has been saved. This option is used when you update a driver and it is not functioning properly.

Dr. Watson - This utility helps when you are experiencing problems with an application. Dr. Watson is used to diagnose and troubleshoot application errors.

Backup - You should use this utility to safeguard your computer. Through the Backup Utility you can back up the sytem or parts of the system and restore data from the backups that you have made.

Recovery Console
- You can use this option if none of the other options or utilities works. The Recovery Console starts Windows XP without the graphical interface and allows the administrator limited capabilities, such as adding or replacing files and enabling/disabling services.

dfumento

#2 Post by dfumento » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Everyone with T60, X60, Z60 should download and install the following:
MIGR-62909 which is the SATA drivers for the disk.

If you have a Windows XP CD and want to do a reinstall or do a repair you must have this driver on a "floppy" to load.

I had a problem with a dual boot Linux install and I thought it overwrote the MBR.

At any rate, it would not boot. I had to:
1. in the BIOS, for SATA Driver, switch to "compatiblility mode"
2. download migr-62909 and expand and install (install.cmd).
3. reboot and in BIOS, switch back to AHCP mode.

Also, as I mentioned, need this on a seperate disk to load in drivers if have the Windows XP CDs.
X201s: 1440x900 LED backlit 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, 160 GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Verizon 4G LTE USB modem, USB 2.0 external optical drive, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
Previous Models: A21p, A30p, A31p, T42, X41T, X60s, X61s, X200s

deepti123

Re: XP Recovery Techniques

#3 Post by deepti123 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:51 am

Safe Mode - This is generally your starting point for system recovery. Safe Mode loads the absolute minimum of services and drivers that are needed to boot Windows XP. If you can load Safe Mode, you may be able to troubleshoot devices or services that keep Windows XP from loading normally.
How to start system on safe mode??

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by Harryc » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 am

ozzymud

#5 Post by ozzymud » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:58 pm

ANYONE who has a sata machine and still uses XP should use nLite to make a custom XP CD/DVD with at minimum the SATA drivers on it...

nLite can do MUCH MUCH more then this though, it can integrate all other drivers, servicepacks, hotfixes into the CD, it can tweak all kinds of settings that the XP install normally would ask for or that people commonly change after install, it can integrate software (if there is a silent installer available) during setup... much much more.

Here is a pretty good tutorial for people new to nLite:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install- ... 7807.shtml

here is another that is equally good:
http://teamtutorials.com/windows-tutori ... ll-w-nlite

You can make a custom dvd for just a single machine, or one that works on all your machines, setup just the way YOU like it :)
(2)701C,(1)760EL,(6)760XL,(1)760XD
(4)CD Drives (5)int floppies (3)ext floppy (4)2.1GB
(10)CF/IDE w/2 or 4GB 133x CF (1)760XL restore CD
(1)Belkin USB 2.0 32bit Cardbus (2)WPC54G(S) Wifi Cardbus
(1)Belkin F5D5020 NIC (1)Giga-Byte GN-WLM01 Wifi
(1)Backpack CD (1) Xircom REM56G-10 + misc

BootSectorVirus
Freshman Member

#6 Post by BootSectorVirus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:47 am

Best tool I have ever found for XP is ERD commander Boot disc, not publicly available but can be found.

Makes Windows repair and recovery so easy.

They have versions for Vista and W7 also.

Its part of the MSDaRT package for each OS.

I also do this for all my XP PC's
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

TRS-80
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by TRS-80 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 pm

ozzymud wrote:ANYONE who has a sata machine and still uses XP should use nLite to make a custom XP CD/DVD with at minimum the SATA drivers on it...

nLite can do MUCH MUCH more then this though, it can integrate all other drivers, servicepacks, hotfixes into the CD, it can tweak all kinds of settings that the XP install normally would ask for or that people commonly change after install, it can integrate software (if there is a silent installer available) during setup... much much more.

Here is a pretty good tutorial for people new to nLite:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install- ... 7807.shtml

here is another that is equally good:
http://teamtutorials.com/windows-tutori ... ll-w-nlite

You can make a custom dvd for just a single machine, or one that works on all your machines, setup just the way YOU like it :)
Or, get everything installed, drivers updated, tweaked, minimum software installed (AV, whatever else you really, really need, maybe Office, PDF viewer, you know, all the basic stuff) and then clone an image of your disk using Acronis, Clonezilla, or similar utility. It will save a ton of time in the event reinstall becomes necessary. Especially if you keep your OS (and maybe programs) in one partition, and data in another. Malware, virus, other issue? No problem, just restore the image of your OS partition. Maybe even do it every once in a while after XP starts to slow down and not be so fresh, fast, and clean as it was when you first installed it!
All good things are Wild and Free.

What is free software and why is it so important for society?

(2022) Actively on the lookout for for 15" T60 FlexView / Hydis LED displays and parts, for my own usage. Kindly PM me your demands if you are willing to part with anything. :D