Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 98SE "Clouds" Wallpaper

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
raybay

#1 Post by raybay » Mon May 17, 2004 12:06 am

An embarrasingly stoopid question. But I cannot remember the answer.

I have a client whose Thinkpad I have just repaired. She has a thinkpad 600X with Windows 98, which I have just reinstalled.

She wants me to put the "Clouds" wallpaper on it, so that she has that pretty set of clouds on a blue sky. I have tried three different versions of Windows 98SE and cannot find it. So I assume I am just too dumb to figger it out, as I have installed by accident a number of times.

Can anyone take pity on me, and tell me how to load this wallpaper. I have had others tell me that it is a supplemental install on ALL Windows 98SE full install or upgrades. I am going to bill her for this, but I will buy you a six-pack at the next Thinkpad Forums convention... provided it is not in Florida, or whereever Markowitz lives. That is ONE six-pack, Bruce.

Thank you
Only those who attempt the absurd
can achieve the impossible.

G-Man
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Windows 98SE "Clouds" Wallpaper

#2 Post by G-Man » Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 am

Well, if it's Windows 98SE then it might be included in one of the original desktop themes. I think if you do a typical, portable or compact install then the themes are not installed, you have to install it manally (add windows components or what).

Here is the list of the themes originaly came with 98SE: Baseball, Dangerous Creatures, Inside Your Computer, Jungle, Leonardo DaVinci, More Windows, Mystery, Nature, Science, Space, Sports, The 60's USA, The Golden Era, Travel, Underwater, Windows 98.

One of the themes might include the desired "Clouds" wallpaper.

Regards,
G-Man

Rick Aguinaldo
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Rick Aguinaldo » Mon May 17, 2004 2:54 am

As stated above, a compact install of win98se may not include the desktop wallpaper. Check control panel/add-remove programs/windows setup/accessories if the desktop wallpaper component is installed. It is also possible that the desktop wallpaper component is installed but the corresponding bitmap file is omitted in the installation cd. The bitmap file is called clouds.bmp so if it is missing in the Thinkpad's Windows folder, copy it from a known win98se installation which has the file. You may also search the net for a clouds.bmp or you can make your own by taking a digital snapshot of a cloudy sky and save it as a bitmap file in the Windows directory :D .