Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to Fresh Install Win XP (Step-by-Step Guide)

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
RogerPodacter

#181 Post by RogerPodacter » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Just a quick question. I've been reading through the forums here because i am about to do a fresh install. I've already created my slipstreamed WinXP CD with SP2. I used the Unattend.txt file to get me CD Key, i wrote down the key from the back of my machine, and i also used magic jelly bean which gave me a different cd key.

So i have 3 different windows xp cd keys and i am not sure which one to use to activate my freshly installed copy (when i actually do it). i want to use the key that my current installation (the one from the factory since i havent formatted my drive since i bought the thinkpad) is using. Thanks,

RP

Eriol

#182 Post by Eriol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:59 pm

evo VIII wrote:Hi all.

My question is; After following the great tutorial and installing a fresh xp on the system, we will be able to use all 40gig of hdd, isnt it? (actually probably 39ish of it...)

And we will not be able to use the "access IBM" button again, ever is it? Can we ever get back to the original setup?

And after the install, if we like to use fingerprint reader, hd protection system, vs.. are we able to download it from the ibm.com and use it as we have used it on the initial setup, I mean is it plug and play easy or makes you tweak bios or so? (I know we can download everyting except dvdplayer vs..)

Last, what the hack all of these programs do, besides FP reader, hdd protection and maybe trackpoint tweaker, what are their use, which to install which to delete. (cant find detailed info in the forum)

Thanx all
Most of the software is obtainable off the IBM/Lenovo site. I've read that if you have an IBMTOOLS or VALUEADD directory, you need to back that up beforehand, as those are value-added software by third parties.

RogerPodacter wrote:Just a quick question. I've been reading through the forums here because i am about to do a fresh install. I've already created my slipstreamed WinXP CD with SP2. I used the Unattend.txt file to get me CD Key, i wrote down the key from the back of my machine, and i also used magic jelly bean which gave me a different cd key.

So i have 3 different windows xp cd keys and i am not sure which one to use to activate my freshly installed copy (when i actually do it). i want to use the key that my current installation (the one from the factory since i havent formatted my drive since i bought the thinkpad) is using. Thanks,

RP
According to the link to the instructions, the key from the unattend.txt is the key to use if you don't want the activation to activate. The machine's pre-installed Windows is pre-activated, so going through the activation again with the other keys might cause confusion.
T43 2686M5U

kuma
Freshman Member

#183 Post by kuma » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:30 pm

How computer savvy do I have to be to do this?
I'm concerned that I'll be stuck with a broken computer.
So far I have made a copy of Drivers, i386, IBMTools, IBMshare, Valueadd, support, and Icons. Anything else?
I have xp home, and an XP Pro upgrade cd that I was going to do the install with. Will this work?
Thanks.
T42 -2373H6U
1 gig Ram
60 gig 7200rpm HD
DVD-Burner
New PC owner, I had an iBook.

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

#184 Post by krosenstein » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:04 pm

The best guide for doing a fresh install can be found here:

http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_ ... /index.htm

kuma
Freshman Member

#185 Post by kuma » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:10 am

This seems very complicated. I'm in the process of making the 7 recovery discs now. What is the reason that IBM takes so much of the hard drive?
Is there a way to make it a smaller size?
What and how do you partition your hard drive? Say if I plan on having about 20 gigs of music on my computer.
Should I install my "upgrade XP Pro" cd, and then make the make a bootable cd from this info?

Is the reason people make a bootable cd is if there computer catches a nasty virus or has some other problem they can reinstall?

Thank you.
T42 -2373H6U
1 gig Ram
60 gig 7200rpm HD
DVD-Burner
New PC owner, I had an iBook.

borez

#186 Post by borez » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:56 am

Hi all,

Feeling excited about creating a CD for my T43.
Just to check, my T43 shipped does not have an I386 folder in C:/.

Is it possible for me to use the I386 in C:/WINDOWS instead?
Thanks a lot.. :)

p9939068

#187 Post by p9939068 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:37 am

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is the guide only for thinkpads that came with xp-pro installed (hence the i386 folder contains xp-pro data)? What about thinkpads that came with xp-home, but wish to be changed to xp-pro?

c333
Freshman Member

#188 Post by c333 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:13 pm

I am about to attempt this for a fresh install. I was wondering, what factor does the security chip have? I have Client Security Software installed, but don't use it much. Will the security chip try to prevent a reinstall? Isn't it a seperate chip on the mobo that prevents stuff like this? Do I have to deactivate it?

Thanks,
Chris
IBM T43: 2687-D3U

GomJabbar

#189 Post by GomJabbar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:07 am

You can always disable the Security Chip in the BIOS prior to your fresh install. That's what I would do.
DKB

icantux

#190 Post by icantux » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Thanks very much for the heads up everyone!

I've not only managed to slipstream SP2 on a newly created XP (from the I386 dir), but I did something else as well - I created a tailor-made bootable mini-dvd with the following features:

- XP slipstreamed SP2 with various drivers, extras (movie maker, etc) removed but with integrated cumulative hotfixes/security patches up to Jan 25, 2006
- integrated self-installed IBM's chiputils for 745 chipset (installs without user prompts)
- integrated self-installed IBM's software installation utility (installs without user prompts)
- added all updated IBM Thinkpad drivers (and 3rd party software from my original backup)

I can now use the mini-dvd to boot into XP installation and perform an automated install of Windows XP SP2 without user prompts at all - everything from time zone, to the way my shortcuts behave, to how much space is allocated for system restore. I managed to tweak the installation enough to remove unnecessary drivers and other MS add-ons (got rid of all the bloatware and unnecessary languages) and include a master directory containing IBM's most recent drivers and all the 3rd party software that originally shipped with my T-pad. All I need to carry around with me as a backup is a little tiny mini-dvd. 8)

This method really isn't intended for those unacustomed with code writing but the results are great and the product fantastic. Here are sites I used as reference to create this little dvd:

:!: the following is NOT a set of instructions for what I did. I merely used these sites as reference to create a tailor-made IBM WinXP SP2 install for my T42!!! You will NOT find anything illegal in these sites.

- http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_ ... /index.htm (main idea site)
- http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=90510#90510 (thisrob's thread)
- http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=313
- Find your current XP key by looking in this How To
- slipstreaming, tweaking made easy using nLite
- all post-SP2 Microsoft hotfixes are listed HERE

I used VMWare Player (free download) and this set of instructions HERE to test my final product on my own laptop before committing to the final re-installation of WinXP.

Over the course of my research and testing I noted the following issues:

- If you have XP running on your thinkpad, the install serial number is dug in somwhere in WinXP which you can extract and use for a re-installation of WinXP (as long as the XP you're running isn't bootlegged). If it's not in the "unattend.txt or unattend.GOL" files, use the method I pointed out in the URL above. It will find it for you - regardless this is the only key you should use! You can use that with any combination of install.
Example 1: you got your thinkpad and it's preloaded with XP SP1 - your key is valid and WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY if you decide to slipstream XP with SP2 later on.
Example 2: you received your Thinkpad with SP2 installed, but you want to make yourself an XP disk. Use the method mentioned above to obtain your current WinXP key. IT WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY.

- Your XP key will NOT work on a vmware test on another machine - only on a thinkpad laptop (so download and use the free vm player noted above). The OEM version of XP has a BIOS verification utility integrated in the OS and checks for the presence of IBM code in the BIOS. If it does not find this info no MS Windows key will work in its stead.

- As stated in the set of instructions linked in the first post: make sure you install IBM's chip installation utility before installing any other drivers - this tweaks all subsequent driver and software installation to perform better on your Thinkpad.

... if something else comes up I'll add to this post.
T420 2.6Ghz HD+, 16GB RAM, 80GB mSATA, 500GB WD Black

GoEatFood
Sophomore Member

#191 Post by GoEatFood » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:54 pm

but, where can I get the XP CD's? my system crashed and I'm totally screwed. I'm running a liveCD version of linux untill I figure something out...

can I call IBM/Lenovo and ask for some CD's or am I just really screwed.
T42 2378-FVU : 1.7 GHz, 512 MB Ram, 40 GB HD, ATI Radeon MOBILITY 9600

likely

#192 Post by likely » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:37 am

does it matter where the i386 files come from? im asking because my thinkpad (that has its own cd key) is completely blank. will this bootable cd work if i use the core i386 files from my desktop pc (from retail xp cd)?

icantux

#193 Post by icantux » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:58 am

@GoEatFood: you could order the CDs from IBM but they may charge you for the set ($45 from what I understand... still cheaper than getting a new copy of XP) ... check around on the site to get more views on that.

@likely: any old OEM i386 folder may not do because the key on your machine will only work with a i386 folder that contains certain checksums - it's actually a BIOS check. Your key may therefore not work with a non-IBM OEM CD and will certainly not work with a retail cd either. If you can get your hands on an IBM thinkpad OEM i386 folder, you'll then be able to install XP using the product key listed on the sticker on your thinkpad.
T420 2.6Ghz HD+, 16GB RAM, 80GB mSATA, 500GB WD Black

tappa

XP-home to XP Pro upgrade

#194 Post by tappa » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:02 am

p9939068 wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong, but is the guide only for thinkpads that came with xp-pro installed (hence the i386 folder contains xp-pro data)? What about thinkpads that came with xp-home, but wish to be changed to xp-pro?
i have a similar problem, how does one upgrade from XP Home without losing the IBM utilities.

tks for your help.

BruisedQuasar

#195 Post by BruisedQuasar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:42 pm

This may sound crazy but it works. In a pinch, a copy of full install Windows 2000 will get you around some hurdles. Being an ex-marine, I believe in Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

A friend, novice to Linux tried to dual boot Mandrake on his XP dell system. He ended up with no Windows, no Linux and his recovery disks could not reinstall XP. I knew back full versions of Windows never gave me a problem loading cold turkey on a hard drive. Since 2000 and XP are close cousins, I threw a 2000 CD into the drive and installed Win 2000. Worked like a charm. I then installed the recovery Win XP CD. No problem. My friend tried to dual boot Linux because SP2 was giving him a slow PC and a big headache.

So, I suggested we leave XP factory condition and install a wireless router with two firewalls, and a slew of top security programs. Months later and this Dell XP continues to function just fine and its as fast as when it was new.

From then on, when someone needs a fresh XP install and it cannot be done, I install Xandros Linux, then Win 2000, then XP. Actual time is small because we do not sit there the entire time.

Sounds crazy but it works.
The More I Learn, the Less I Think I Know
The Less I Think I Know, the More I Learn
I'M... Still Learning
--Bruised

syben

#196 Post by syben » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:44 pm

aamsel wrote:OK, for another scenario:
If I am putting in a new, blank hard drive, and I have my own copy of XP Pro (not what came with the T42, but a true XP Pro CD with license and key), then I don't need to do any of this correct??
I also have a TX41t without the original HD. Have installed XPpro 3 times, each time un-successfully trying to get the (downloaded) IBM Restore & Recovery Files onto the new 40G HD with a single NTFS primary. Gave up trying and purchased a set of IBM R&R discs @$45. Discovered the X41 won't even boot from these discs (with BIOS set for USB-CD). So I'm in the process of trying this superb guide by www.4saad.com on "fresh install with SP2 slipstreamed".
QUESTION: Will I have to re-partition(w/Partion Magic) the HD with a hidden boot Part'n, or will the R&R discs do this for me. Then when doing the clean SP2 install, will this hidden partition get erased? I have also scanned several posts where contributors have suggested additional files should be downloaded from IBM. Are these necessary?
I also have encountered a problem when downloading the M/S SP2 files. (all original set-ups being done on my desktop). The first 70% completed within 2 -3 min. The last 30% have been (as I'm writing this) taken over 1 hr!!!
And I have copied the i386 files from the X41t which are dramatically smaller than on the original XPpro discs. Am I missing something?.
When all is successfully completed I will post a big 'thank you' to all the great and informative contributors of this outstanding BB and 'install' topic

keleko

#197 Post by keleko » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:40 am

RogerPodacter wrote:Just a quick question. I've been reading through the forums here because i am about to do a fresh install. I've already created my slipstreamed WinXP CD with SP2. I used the Unattend.txt file to get me CD Key, i wrote down the key from the back of my machine, and i also used magic jelly bean which gave me a different cd key.

RP
Anyone who might be able to provide an answer to Roger's question yet?
I encountered the very same thing (i.e. having 3 KEYS: 1st from the underside of TP, 2nd from C:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT and last but not least a 3rd key when using MagicJellyBean). So, yeah, which one of the last two mentioned do people have to use in order to avoid activation? What's going on here? Which one is proper? Are they interdependent?

Icantux? Anyone?

And yes, they are all different keys... :)

EDIT: sure looks like noone cares...anyway, for what it's worth... IT'S KEY #3.
So instead of the one found in the original I386/unattend.txt (which was even rejected during Windows Setup) the one that will work is the one found by MagicJellyBean's KeyFinder.

Sleepy

#198 Post by Sleepy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:51 pm

My T43 became a bit slow so I decided to clean install XP and everything worked perfectly! Absolutelly no problems at all. The correct key was the one from MagicJellyBean.

shinjiplus
Freshman Member

#199 Post by shinjiplus » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:46 pm

on a newer machine (i just got an X41) do you still need to slipstream SP2? i know that some providers have pre-slipstreamed SP2 cd's.

serpico

T60 fresh install

#200 Post by serpico » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:19 pm

To use this guide with T60s, we need to modify:

Step 13: Install Intel Chipset Support.

Use the Intel Chipset Support 5 package that is already in the IBMTOOLS folder (which you will have backed up in one of the early steps in the guide), or you can download it from Lenovo.

RaysMD

#201 Post by RaysMD » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 am

with regards to the cd key, see my first post on this subject in 6/2004 (go to the end).
X300 gone... Last of the T61p 14.1"

f1reverb
Freshman Member

A clean install is easily done using the original i386 . . .

#202 Post by f1reverb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 am

directory and (not really needed) the tools/work directories. This is on a new R52 I got about a month ago. I pulled the IBM drive (slug 40gb 4.2k) without ever turning the computer on even once, plugged it into a W98 desktop and copied the whole drive to another drive and DVDR/CDR (copied, not cloned). On my R52 the i386 is SP2. I purchased an Hitachi 7k 80gb and just fdisked and formatted it up with a w98 boot disk via a USB floppy. I then copied the i386 directory from the cd to my f: drive (formatted the 80gb with four 20gb logicals), ran the 16-bit setup (winnt.exe) and installed XP Pro (reformatting the c: drive with the install to get that stupid 8mb partition, and as fat32 for everything) as supplied from IBM. Once installed, I used a USB G adapter, went to Lenovo and installed all the drivers/programs. Nice and easy, plus I still can put in any of the other software (if I so choose-not) from the work directory. No fuss and nice and fast and tight, with all the IBM software, and suprisingly everything worked properly including the wireless with the ibm software (the 2200). You only get that request for the SP2 disk if it thinks you're trying to do an upgrade (changed my mind on something so tried a fresh install with the other copy still there instead of formatting or deleting again).

The IBM i386 install in conjunction with the R52 key from the bottom of the unit worked fine on the R52, and just for fun since I was switching a bunch of drives around and reformatting a bunch, I took the same IBM i386 with the R52 key and installed it on a Fry's GQ3202 (ECS G320) and then on an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo'd homebuilt. It installed perfectly on both. There's nothing IBM specific about the IBM i386 directory or files (doing things in this manner versus a sysprep install). And no, I didn't leave the other computers with copies as the GQ became an MSDOS/WFW311 machine and the ASUS a W98 machine. I still have never used the original R52 drive, and keep it in case I have to put in a drive for warranty purposes. Very interesting to poke around the IBM pre first-boot drive and easy as it's fat32.

BearVsShark1013

connecting to internet

#203 Post by BearVsShark1013 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:00 pm

So i just installed fresh copy of XP, and now i can't connect the the internet to download the drivers and such. It says it can't find the hardware. I have SBC global DSL over a Lynksys wireless router.

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#204 Post by Kyocera » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:34 pm

Did a retail version install last week on my t42, it found the LAN card ok but I did have to obtain the wireless driver from my backup disk. If you can, try to connect wired, make sure you are able to obtain an IP address from your router, if not use a static, make sure all your IP settings are correct.

BearVsShark1013

connecting

#205 Post by BearVsShark1013 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:07 pm

so i just figured out that i have no hardware for my network adapter and other such things. did i back these up through the clean install of XP process? if i didn't, how would i go through getting these drivers again? :(

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#206 Post by Kyocera » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:34 pm

You can get them throuh the ibm web site, download the software installer program and it will provide the necessary drivers for your system. Try using add/remove hardware wizard in XP to load a driver for your lan card, this will give you accessability to the internet. It seems to me unless you have a very old thinkpad XP will have a driver for your Lan card, does anything show up in the network connections folder, or device manager under network adapters?

BearVsShark1013

#207 Post by BearVsShark1013 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:51 pm

So, in my device manager, it cannot find hardware for ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, pci modem, or video controller; and under network adapters all it has are 2 things for Bluetooth. I went onto ibm website and downloaded 2 drivers, one for the 802.11 b/g wireless and one for the Ethernet PRO 10/100/1000, transfered it to my labtop and installed it to the default directory, but my device manager doesn't change.

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#208 Post by Kyocera » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:54 pm

Did you run the programs after installing them? There should be something in C with intel, look for drivers and find the setup.exe or something like that.

Whatever the drivers were named when you downloaded them find the folders they are in and find the executable and run it. Or you could use add remove hardware again and point to the folders to extract the drivers.

BearVsShark1013

#209 Post by BearVsShark1013 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:16 pm

yes i do that, i run the executable. But then in device manager it says i still don't have the hardware for them, and i try to install them manually by pointing it to the folders they are installed to, but there are so many sub folders... i try pointing it to random folders to install but none of them work.

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#210 Post by Kyocera » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:21 pm

try going to device manager and right click and remove the ethernet controller, reboot, see if windows will try to find the drivers.