Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
- Sophomore Member
- Posts: 205
- Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 pm
- Location: San Jose
I don't know about copyrights though, because I don't believe I seen any disclaimer to the documents, but since you mentioned it I think I would rather not post on the net, I don't want to be sued.
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:54 pm
- Location: Boone, NC, USA
This tread has a lot of old information in it. Let's see if we can not come up with something a bit simpler:
1. Backup My Documents (if you want to save your personal data).
2. Find your old Windows XP Pro CD.
3. Download N-Lite (freeware).
4. Download the latest service pack from microsoft (currnently SP3)
5. Use N-Light to copy your CD to the hard drive.
6. Use N-Light to slipstream the service pack into the copy.
6a. N-Lite has a lot of other options you may want to investigate.
7. Use N-Lite to burn a new bootable CD of the slipstreamed copy of Windows.
8. Boot up the CD and do a new install.
9. Install Thinkpad drivers from Lenovo's site.*
10. Install desired software (This is a good time to upgrade).
11. Restore My Documents if you backed it up.
I just did this for a HD upgrade on my X24 this weekend, so know it works. It would have been simpler if I had all the software in one place before I started. It has been the quickest full install, I have ever done (even figuring the N-Lite learning curve in).
*NOTE: I discovered that the only drivers I actually needed from Lenovo were the PowerManagement Driver, and the Display Driver. The others seem to be optional as Windows has something that works for everything else.
- Senior ThinkPadder
- Posts: 2975
- Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: Munich, Germany
Do you think it makes difference if you install Lenovo drivers after installing XP or just integrate them in the XP install CD using nLite?
IBM Lenovo Z61p | 15.4'' WUXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2x 2.16GHz | 4 GB Kingston HyperX | Hitachi 7K500 500 GB + WD 1TB (USB) | ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 | ThinkPad Atheros a/b/g | Analog Devices AD1981HD | Win 7 x86 + ArchLinux 2009.08 x64 (number crunching)
- Freshman Member
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:28 pm
- Location: 9170x
Has anyone used a Dell XP Pro reinstallation disc instead? It is almost identical to a normal XP disc. I suppose I could extract the i386 folder from the Dell disc and use this guide to make a disc but if I can avoid doing this that would be great.
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:47 am
- Location: Delhi, India
- 2 Replies
- 397 Views
Last post by GrifterGuru
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm
- 1 Replies
- 378 Views
Last post by MikalE
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:42 pm
- 0 Replies
- 1207 Views
Last post by J Walker
Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 pm
- 5 Replies
- 891 Views
Last post by AndyMH
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests