Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

**Issue Resolved** USB Memory not recognized in Vista

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
azimi3

**Issue Resolved** USB Memory not recognized in Vista

#1 Post by azimi3 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded from an x60 (XP Pro) to x61t (Vista Business). I went into using Vista with an open mind. I have ran into numerous problems such as slow key response in IE7, slow overall performance and constant hard drive usage, etc. I have been able to look past these shortcomings and fix some but the one that I need fixed badly is access to USB memory keys.

I have tried 4 different USB keys and had the same problem with all. Vista starts installing new drivers, it says it successfully installs:

1. New drivers for USB Mass storage device
2. Device specific drivers (i.e. samsung, swissbit, etc...)

However, there is a third driver that it fails to install on each. Each time when it gets to this third part it tells me the driver was not found and allows me to "Locate and install drivers". I select this option, it checks my computer and the web and comes back telling me it found nothing. I then direct it to look in C:\Windows\inf where it finds the driver for the "Generic Host Driver" (usbstor.inf) but fails to install it.

I have spent over 4 hours searching the web for solutions and tried all of them and none of them work. My only hope is that maybe my usbstor.inf file is corrupt and needs to be replaced.

If anyone can locate their usbstor.inf file in "C:\Windows\inf" in Vista and email it to me I would appreciate it. Otherwise, there is a downgrade CD with my name on it.

Thanks

Edit: Added **Issue Resolved** tag to title.
Last edited by azimi3 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

azimi3

#2 Post by azimi3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:04 am

The problem seems to be fixed now. I installed SP1 beta and it recognizes all my USB devices. Looks like SP1 repaired the usbstor.inf file.