Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Vista move/copy files

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Ashe Too

Vista move/copy files

#1 Post by Ashe Too » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

My experience with Vista before I downgraded to XP in Dec was that (even after SP1 was released) moving or coping files in Windows Explorer (or in Outlook for that matter) was insufferably slow - so slow that I had to downgrade to XP. Does anyone know if Vista SP2 has improved the file move/copy speed? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Ashe Lockhart
LockhartHornby.com
Charlotte, NC

mgo
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Re: Vista move/copy files

#2 Post by mgo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Ashe Too wrote:My experience with Vista before I downgraded to XP in Dec was that (even after SP1 was released) moving or coping files in Windows Explorer (or in Outlook for that matter) was insufferably slow - so slow that I had to downgrade to XP. Does anyone know if Vista SP2 has improved the file move/copy speed? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
What has amazed me since Vista RC1 is the lack of solutions and workarounds that could have helped. Seems like the "computer journalism geniuses" just never wrote about this gargantuan Vista bug.

Yes, today's Vista is faster in copy and paste, but still not exactly quick. If you have to do copy and move jobs a lot, try Vista's own Robocopy. It has always been super fast.

Copy and paste actions within Windows Explorer are the slowest way to go, and drag and drop is risky because you can accidentally drop things into the wrong folder.

If you seek more of an interface type of copy program try Syncback, which is very fast and free.

Ashe Too

#3 Post by Ashe Too » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks. Does anyone know how Windows 7 does with file move/copy/delete?
Ashe Lockhart
LockhartHornby.com
Charlotte, NC

tomh009
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by tomh009 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Ashe Too wrote:My experience with Vista before I downgraded to XP in Dec was that (even after SP1 was released) moving or coping files in Windows Explorer (or in Outlook for that matter) was insufferably slow - so slow that I had to downgrade to XP. Does anyone know if Vista SP2 has improved the file move/copy speed? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
In my experience, moving files (on the same disk) is fast, as it should be. Copying, it's not so fast but it's acceptable to me, given how infrequently I do it. (And Outlook's copy/move speed will have little to do with the Windows version -- it's just disk writes to an NTFS file, apart from the file system, the OS is not involved.)

This really should be in the Vista forum, though.
X220 (4287-2W5, Windows 8 Pro) / X31 (2672-CXU, XP Pro) / X61s (7668-CTO, Windows 8 Pro)

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by bill bolton » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:22 am

mgo wrote:Seems like the "computer journalism geniuses" just never wrote about this gargantuan Vista bug.
Perhaps the gargantuan issue has been in your system configuration!

Cheers,

Bill B.

Marin85
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Marin85 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:05 pm

I rather have the feeling that the slow copy/moving files is some myth remained from the beta period of Vista that was really long long time ago :) I have never been able to find any difference in file copy/move speeds between XP and Vista or, for that matter, Windows 7 beta. In fact, Vista and Win 7 seems to perform better when copying from one HD to another. Maybe a few points for the OP to consider:
1) When copying/moving from/to another HD, make sure you have selected maximum performance for this device in Device Manager
2) There are those Sata Power Management and USB Power Management Vista hotfixes from Lenovo. Believe me, the second one makes quite a difference when using an attached USB storage. I don´t know whether those hotfixes are applicable to your system (which is?), though.
3) Make sure you have Intel Matrix Storage Driver is installed.

Cheers,

Marin
IBM Lenovo Z61p | 15.4'' WUXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2x 2.16GHz | 4 GB Kingston HyperX | Hitachi 7K500 500 GB + WD 1TB (USB) | ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 | ThinkPad Atheros a/b/g | Analog Devices AD1981HD | Win 7 x86 + ArchLinux 2009.08 x64 (number crunching)

closersource
Freshman Member

#7 Post by closersource » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:26 am

Actually this problem has been documented many times and unfortunately for multiple small files Vista in general is slower than XP. Nonetheless Vista SP2 X64 speeds everything up a little.

Anyway moves should be fast though and large files don't copy slow. A lot depends on your setup and it seems you might have a configuration problem.

As to the advice above do not enable "Advanced Performance" unless the drive has battery backup. A sudden power loss could corrupt the data stored on the drive.
WORK: X250
TRAVEL: X220T
PAST: T42P / T61P / X61T / T400 / T410S / W520 / T430

Marin85
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Marin85 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:33 pm

closersource wrote:As to the advice above do not enable "Advanced Performance" unless the drive has battery backup. A sudden power loss could corrupt the data stored on the drive.
I believe you rather mean the write caching than the toggle between "optimize for performance" and "optimize for quick removal"...

I believe that in general both Vista and XP copy small files slower than bigger ones, but I don´t have the impression that Vista does that slower than XP. The only exception IMHO is copying pictures/photos, yet I believe it´s rather the user´s perception due to the extra animation added to Vista over XP. Nevertheless, there is a lot more to be desired here, especially for a modern OS like Vista, and for that matter for Windows 7 too, for the latter one seems to be suffering from the very same issue :x
IBM Lenovo Z61p | 15.4'' WUXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2x 2.16GHz | 4 GB Kingston HyperX | Hitachi 7K500 500 GB + WD 1TB (USB) | ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 | ThinkPad Atheros a/b/g | Analog Devices AD1981HD | Win 7 x86 + ArchLinux 2009.08 x64 (number crunching)

OldManClayton

#9 Post by OldManClayton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 pm

I had trouble with it, but for some reason it went away. Doesn't matter though, since I'm now using Teracopy, which hasn't failed me once! :D

But this is an old topic, I believe.
560, 560, 560, (all in various stages of completion/possession of a screen) 600E that's pretty dead, and a spiffy new X61 Tablet.