Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Returning from Hibernation Re-Hibernate Feature of XP

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Nick Y

Returning from Hibernation Re-Hibernate Feature of XP

#1 Post by Nick Y » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:15 am

I have two laptops I often power up first thing in the morning, while having breakfast. Both (a T43 and a Gateway, both with XP XP3) had been powered down via hibernate the previous day. often when I get back, after about 10 minutes, I have noticed that one or other -or both, are back in hibernation; BTW I have no hibernation timers set.

I decided to try and look into this today and found that it is a feature of XP, so I thought that I would post info for others in case anyone else is bugged by this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp
'Returning from hibernation sets the inactivity timer to five minutes on a Windows XP-based computer' describes it exactly, with no solution, although I may try embedding my own solution into my script to stop the two beeps when I power up the T43 with a 320GB non-IBM HD.

Quoting part of the above link:
SYMPTOMS
After a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer returns (or "wakes up") from hibernation, it may enter hibernation again after five minutes of inactivity, regardless of the settings you have configured in the Power Options tool in Control Panel.

MORE INFORMATION
The computer's BIOS performs a full boot while it returns from hibernation and clears any wakeup signals that might be active. Therefore, Windows cannot determine why the computer woke up. Windows then returns to hibernation after five minutes of inactivity to avoid certain situations. For example, Windows may then return to hibernation to prevent a program from waking up the computer and causing the battery to drain while the computer is not being used.

This problem may also occur in Windows Vista. After you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from hibernation, the computer may enter hibernation again after two minutes of inactivity. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
929734 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734/ ) You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG

GomJabbar

Re: Returning from Hibernation Re-Hibernate Feature of XP

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:16 am

Interesting. I have seen this happen a few times, but I never read anything before about why this happens. Thanks for the info. :)
DKB

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by mpcook » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Wow this is amazing to me that this information is not generally known. I have had an occasional case of mysterious hibernation and was worried I had an unknown hardware fault or a Thinkpad poltergeist. Now I know what's going on.

Mike
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s

mgo
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#4 Post by mgo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Nick Y wrote:I have two laptops I often power up first thing in the morning, while having breakfast. Both (a T43 and a Gateway, both with XP XP3) had been powered down via hibernate the previous day. often when I get back, after about 10 minutes, I have noticed that one or other -or both, are back in hibernation; BTW I have no hibernation timers set.
Ha! This is oh so very much like Microsoft to explain away a dumb bug by claiming that it's a "feature"!

Many computer users consider Sleep and Hibernate to be some sort of black magic voodoo and refuse to use it. That's why not that many have complained about it over the years.

Nick Y

#5 Post by Nick Y » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:54 am

mgo wrote:Many computer users consider Sleep and Hibernate to be some sort of black magic voodoo and refuse to use it.
I used to have a lot of problems with it; mainly in the form of system tray utilities not restarting, so I have only recently started trying it again and then noticed the occasional re-hibernate. I have to admit that 'feature' was a term I used. I almost put 'bijou feature' as the article is at issue 2.1, from 2007 and so has been around for a long time, just not fixed!
IBM ThinkPad T43-2668-F5G,
T41p-2373-GEG & a T61-6466-9YG

burns334

#6 Post by burns334 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread and my problem is very similar. My T43/R52 always goes back to standby, if it was in standby or back to hibernation, if it was hibernating but it takes 20 seconds for it to happen. I already decided it must be in the BIOS and not the xp software as I swapped out a known good HDD and the same thing still happens. I want to roll back my embedded controller one rev but not sure I feel like risking the machine. Did not really mean to double post but maybe it's better here as a s/w problem.

burns, TIA for any help

Return to “Windows OS (Versions prior to Windows 7)”