Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help change x62 screen

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
3ic

Help change x62 screen

#1 Post by 3ic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 am

HiI hope can make me understand...my english its quite poor....hugs from Spain!!

Last year i get an x62 motherboard for my x61s. I really love it!!!!! its awsome

BUT, the original screen/display its really bad..i wish i can have a better screen forr my x62!
I have been looking how to change it but i dont find it...
There was some LED kits from Monty, but i cant find it now....

Could you please help me to choose the correct kit or screen for my x62 and some instrucctions of how to do it??

¡ ¡ ¡ Thanks !!!

3ic

atagunov

Re: Help change x62 screen

#2 Post by atagunov » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 am

Hi, welcome. Would you like to replace your screen panel or to fit LED backlight into the current panel?

Monty's kits were kits to install LED backlight instead of CCFL
Monty is no longer making them
They purchase kits from China every couple of years on thinkpad-forum.de, here's the last round
The kits from China are probably not as good but better than nothing
Monty's kit consisted of a small board (so called "TLD") to mod the inverter and a LED strip
You can make the board yourself. I have a .zip of documents related to that. I think there may be a forum member in Australia who can send you one - however his board will be untested, he doesn't have a LED strip to test. This is from private messages to him.
Making the led strip is a bigger problem. Some specialized equipment is needed for soldering and most importantly it's hard to get the right LED-s.

You may be interested to join discussion in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131315
There a forum member is replacing CCFL for LED backlight in a 15" 4:3 R60. This is a task very similar to yours.
You can ask him where he got the LED strip and if he is happy with it. He also purchased a matching board to work with this strip. The board is one of those sold from China. You can ask him about his experiences with it to. I think X61s backlight should be similar to R60 backlight. I would expect the inverter to be nearly identical. Forum members, please correct me if I'm wrong

BTW you might also be able to just replace the CCFL tube in that screen. Not advising anything but wanted to mention the option. Or just get a new (unused) panel and hope it will be bright enough for you.
X220, 2 *T520