Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X330 Review

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X330 Review

#31 Post by TPFanatic » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:20 pm

Can you boot with an external monitor and adjust settings in a way that turns on the internal display?

Or Have you already flashed the X330 version of 1vyra1n Modified BIOS or x330 version of Coreboot?

Because of the nature of the mod, the laptop actually treats the new display as an external monitor. So by default, with stock bios, you won't see it.

sandIP

#32 Post by sandIP » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:54 pm

Thank you for the response.
I haven't flashed the BIOS, so my system is still running on the stock BIOS.
Unfortunately, I do not have an external monitor.
I was not aware the default BIOS might hinder the display modification's functionality.
What settings do I have to adjust in order to turn on the internal display?

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#33 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:00 am

You'll want to get it to display out to either Displayport 1 or Displayport 2, as they are referred to within BIOS. From within an OS, you'd select your screen from within Display Settings.

It's been over a year since I last messed with stock BIOS on my x330 so I'm really fuzzy on the normal behavior of the machine and the best practices to sort it out. Good luck.

Bionicman
Freshman Member

#34 Post by Bionicman » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:54 am

sandIP wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:56 am
Hey everyone,

A while back, I acquired an X330 display adapter from xytech, and recently, I decided to solder this display kit onto my x230 board. However, I've been facing some issues. It seems that I can no longer access the mod page for x330, possibly due to the xytech website being down.

My main concern right now is to determine the supported displays for the 16:9 aspect ratio category. I attempted to use the LP133WF4-SPA2 panel, which is a Full HD panel manufactured by LG. Unfortunately, this panel doesn't seem to work as expected. It either turns off by itself or remains on but displays nothing.

I'm reaching out to this community to ask for assistance. Could anyone provide me with a list of panels that the X330 adapter is known to support? I'm specifically interested in panels that fit the 16:9 aspect ratio. If you have experience with this adapter or information on compatible panels, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you in advance for your help!
I don't know where to search for such a list, but I can tell you my 13.3 16:9 panel - LTN133HL18
T420 -> W500 -> T601 Frankenpad -> X200s -> X330 -> modded T420

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#35 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:09 am

I encountered a funny behavior with the modified x330 BIOS, it’s probably already well-known in the mod community but I didn’t know about it so I’ll share it here. Switching the BIOS to UEFI Only CSM off for Secure Boot breaks the USB brightness control and counteracts the BIOS-level disabling of the internal display, so everything pre-OS is just blank.

Managed to undo it blind but that was no fun lol.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#36 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:18 am

Returning to share a sadness that with the i7-3615qe the machine has lost its vt-x hypervisor capability, necessary to run linux x64 VMs in virtualbox. I can still run an x86 linux VM or x64 windows VM with an older version of virtualbox, or dual-boot. But this does complicate the total practical utility of my X330. I need a machine to take with me to engineering school, classic ThinkPad is obviously my preferred laptop, I may have to enlist my old T430 for this role!

Possibly this is a limitation of the lenovo-based/1vyra1n bios, but I’m not a coreboot person.

edit to add:

Haha, silly me. Turns out this was a 1vyrain quirk all along. It just moved the Virtualization options to the Security tab, and they have to be enabled there, rather than under the Advanced tab. Now I have Virtualization enabled on the X330 with no problems. :roll: Guess I'll be taking this thing with me after all, when I had just gotten the T430 up and running to replace it.

Return to “51nb and other modded Thinkpads”