Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

51nb's X62: latest update

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
Post Reply
Message
Author

binbash
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am
Location: geneva, switzerland

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#272 Post by binbash » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Does anyone here with a X62 want to give QubesOS a try? If the board is well supported, with 32 GB of memory, one could create tons of VMs and the i7 cpu should handle them well. You can create:
  • NetVM : basically a minimal linux acting as virtual router. You can configure it with a vpn, or any other network.
  • FirewallVM: you can associate these with NetVMs
  • AppVM: You separate your different uses (banking, trading, work, networking) in different VM totally isolated each other.
  • TemplateVM: Linux distribution like fedora, debian, arch, ubuntu or whonix (or even kali, blackarch) on wich AppVM are based. If you update a template VM, all the Appvm applications of Appvm based on this template will be updated, because they are in fact the same applications, but running virtually, compartmentalized 8)
  • DisposableVM: VM without persistence, a bit like an CD live iso.
You can also create a Windows7 templateVM, and it will integrate in the UI remakably well. If you lauch paint, you will only have the paint window, in a linux environement, running other distibution of linux linked with different NetVM and ProxyVM. Each VM type is recognizable by a different windows decoration color.
That's really the best OS I know, for the moment, and the only way to afford using windows :banghead:

dmdsoftware
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#273 Post by dmdsoftware » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:23 pm

binbash wrote:Does anyone here with a X62 want to give QubesOS a try? If the board is well supported, with 32 GB of memory, one could create tons of VMs and the i7 cpu should handle them well. You can create:
  • NetVM : basically a minimal linux acting as virtual router. You can configure it with a vpn, or any other network.
  • FirewallVM: you can associate these with NetVMs
  • AppVM: You separate your different uses (banking, trading, work, networking) in different VM totally isolated each other.
  • TemplateVM: Linux distribution like fedora, debian, arch, ubuntu or whonix (or even kali, blackarch) on wich AppVM are based. If you update a template VM, all the Appvm applications of Appvm based on this template will be updated, because they are in fact the same applications, but running virtually, compartmentalized 8)
  • DisposableVM: VM without persistence, a bit like an CD live iso.
You can also create a Windows7 templateVM, and it will integrate in the UI remakably well. If you lauch paint, you will only have the paint window, in a linux environement, running other distibution of linux linked with different NetVM and ProxyVM. Each VM type is recognizable by a different windows decoration color.
That's really the best OS I know, for the moment, and the only way to afford using windows :banghead:
I honestly just go linux host in read-only mode and container everything if I need/want isolated components. I've even given up on Windows VMs. Just kick around a MAC OS VM for those "just won't work on Linux" apps. Haven't encountered a need for Windows for some time. I owe that to MAC OS X which made companies get out of the Windows-only pidgin-hole.

Again, PC gaming is a different story and thankfully I'm not into that -- console + retropi scratches that itch just fine.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

binbash
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am
Location: geneva, switzerland

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#274 Post by binbash » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:58 pm

What's your favorite linux distro dmdsoftware? What OS are you using on your X62

dmdsoftware
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#275 Post by dmdsoftware » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm

binbash wrote:What's your favorite linux distro dmdsoftware? What OS are you using on your X62

Went full circle. Started in my infancy years with Debian, went to Slackware in the 2000s, decided I needed a little insanity offered by Gentoo, chilled with Ubuntu in the 2010s and came back home to Debian back in 2012. To be matter of fact, it is Linux Mint Debian Edition that got me back to where I belong. Armbian, cubian, and raspbian flavours for Debian on embedded.

Ubuntu is always best at "it just works", but Debian is always best of optimizing and good-and-reliable performance, once you figure out how to get things working.

I have a central x64 and an arm Debian install that I clone and push to devices using BTRFS. I have a little older Debian Jessie 8.4 with kernel 4.5 on that X62, because that is just what happened to be on the SSD I had free to plop in it. When I get some time, I'll push the newest 8.7 with kernel 4.8 to the computer. It has some tweaked graphic drivers that work better for Broadwell and Skylake processors.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

binbash
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am
Location: geneva, switzerland

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#276 Post by binbash » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 pm

dmdsoftware wrote:
binbash wrote:What's your favorite linux distro dmdsoftware? What OS are you using on your X62

Went full circle. Started in my infancy years with Debian, went to Slackware in the 2000s, decided I needed a little insanity offered by Gentoo, chilled with Ubuntu in the 2010s and came back home to Debian back in 2012. To be matter of fact, it is Linux Mint Debian Edition that got me back to where I belong. Armbian, cubian, and raspbian flavours for Debian on embedded.
Nice! Never tried Gentoo but it seems really cool. I also love Debian. I have been using it as a main OS last 3 years, but now I am on arch. I will give Linux Mint Debian a try if you say it's good. :thumbs-UP:

binbash
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am
Location: geneva, switzerland

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#277 Post by binbash » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 am

I've just bought a WLE200NX wifi pci card with AR9280 chipset. Hope there is nothing in bios that will prevent me to use it. I had to reflash my x230 bios using a beaglebone in order to use another atheros based card.

This wifi card seems really good, I'm looking forward to testing it.
The Compex WLE200NX miniPCI Express wireless card has been brought in for use with PcEngines APU boards to give wireless connectivity. We have testing the Compex card with PfSense and can confirm that it is compatible. Product options are available on the PfSense packages.

dmdsoftware
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#278 Post by dmdsoftware » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:04 pm

binbash wrote:I've just bought a WLE200NX wifi pci card with AR9280 chipset. Hope there is nothing in bios that will prevent me to use it. I had to reflash my x230 bios using a beaglebone in order to use another atheros based card.

This wifi card seems really good, I'm looking forward to testing it.
The Compex WLE200NX miniPCI Express wireless card has been brought in for use with PcEngines APU boards to give wireless connectivity. We have testing the Compex card with PfSense and can confirm that it is compatible. Product options are available on the PfSense packages.
No blacklist or whitelist on x62. Card should work.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

OhneHerren
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 am
Location: Footscray, Australia

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#279 Post by OhneHerren » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 am

Does an SXGA+ (HV121P01-100) work with the X62? I'm using the standard LCD cable but the screen isn't working. From the responses here it looks like the screen works with the standard cable, but I want to confirm before I go hunting down another panel. Speaking of which, where can I find a good quality panel? I see a few on Aliexpress and eBay. Does anyone have any experience buying these?

Besides the sound (terrible) the X62 is amazing. Issues of fit can be mostly ameliorated with tinkering. Does anyone have any ideas about fixing the impedance issue on the soundboard?

dmdsoftware
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#280 Post by dmdsoftware » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 pm

OhneHerren wrote:Does an SXGA+ (HV121P01-100) work with the X62? I'm using the standard LCD cable but the screen isn't working. From the responses here it looks like the screen works with the standard cable, but I want to confirm before I go hunting down another panel. Speaking of which, where can I find a good quality panel? I see a few on Aliexpress and eBay. Does anyone have any experience buying these?

Besides the sound (terrible) the X62 is amazing. Issues of fit can be mostly ameliorated with tinkering. Does anyone have any ideas about fixing the impedance issue on the soundboard?

I think you need a special cable. I recall seeing someone showing the custom cable that comes with the SXGA+ units shipped from 51nb. I believe the only display SXGA+ panels that will work with the standard LCD cable is the X60/X61 is the SXGA+ screens that came with the tablets.

I haven't had any terrible sound issues using speaker or headphones on my X62 in linux. The only issue is the fact I need to modify the GPIO setting for the speaker
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

OhneHerren
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 am
Location: Footscray, Australia

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#281 Post by OhneHerren » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 am

dmdsoftware wrote:
OhneHerren wrote:Does an SXGA+ (HV121P01-100) work with the X62? I'm using the standard LCD cable but the screen isn't working. From the responses here it looks like the screen works with the standard cable, but I want to confirm before I go hunting down another panel. Speaking of which, where can I find a good quality panel? I see a few on Aliexpress and eBay. Does anyone have any experience buying these?
I think you need a special cable. I recall seeing someone showing the custom cable that comes with the SXGA+ units shipped from 51nb. I believe the only display SXGA+ panels that will work with the standard LCD cable is the X60/X61 is the SXGA+ screens that came with the tablets.
As far as I know the tablet panels are the same model that 51nb are using in their assembled units. In any case if I do need a special cable that's good news; my screen might not be broken.
dmdsoftware wrote:
OhneHerren wrote:Besides the sound (terrible) the X62 is amazing. Issues of fit can be mostly ameliorated with tinkering. Does anyone have any ideas about fixing the impedance issue on the soundboard?
I haven't had any terrible sound issues using speaker or headphones on my X62 in linux. The only issue is the fact I need to modify the GPIO setting for the speaker
I have a third-revision board and the sound is okay (for some values of okay). It certainly is flawed in a way that any modern laptop soundcard isn't. At least to my ears. It's significantly worse than the X61. I'm no audiophile so I can't give specific language about the problems, but it definitely sounds like the soundcard is underperforming (as has been discussed by others more knowledgeable in this thread). When a few sounds are playing it is not so noticeable, but when a busy song is playing it is very noticeable. This is with headphones.

dmdsoftware
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#282 Post by dmdsoftware » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

OhneHerren wrote:
dmdsoftware wrote:I think you need a special cable. I recall seeing someone showing the custom cable that comes with the SXGA+ units shipped from 51nb. I believe the only display SXGA+ panels that will work with the standard LCD cable is the X60/X61 is the SXGA+ screens that came with the tablets.
As far as I know the tablet panels are the same model that 51nb are using in their assembled units. In any case if I do need a special cable that's good news; my screen might not be broken.
dmdsoftware wrote:I haven't had any terrible sound issues using speaker or headphones on my X62 in linux. The only issue is the fact I need to modify the GPIO setting for the speaker
I have a third-revision board and the sound is okay (for some values of okay). It certainly is flawed in a way that any modern laptop soundcard isn't. At least to my ears. It's significantly worse than the X61. I'm no audiophile so I can't give specific language about the problems, but it definitely sounds like the soundcard is underperforming (as has been discussed by others more knowledgeable in this thread). When a few sounds are playing it is not so noticeable, but when a busy song is playing it is very noticeable. This is with headphones.
Yes, the screen is probably good. Just need that special cable. There used to be people on this forum who used to crimp the cable but it was $300. The pic I saw of the x62 provided one is just individual wires. Not high quality but gets the job done. Maybe check for a driver board for that panel. Maybe you can repurpose it with some modification to make it work on the x62. I'm definitely interested ina screen upgrade myself. My sxga+ is from a tablet and has developed many air bubbles (still useable but won't last another many years).

I had the speaker loud today and a system sound was horrible sounding. Normally have it layout mid volume. But I understand your observation. I also atune to listening using a raspberry pi which has worst onboard sound.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

mrj47
Freshman Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:20 am
Location: IL, USA

Re: 51nb's X62: latest update

#283 Post by mrj47 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to the latest Bios and EC? Is this it? https://pan.baidu.com/s/1i5yYD0L - I see a bunch of bin files and not sure what file should be used to flash.

Also what are the steps to create a bootable usb - do you use the x61 bootable bios from Lenovo?

Thanks!

Edit: I was able to sort it out.

Edit: Here are the steps, in case anyone else is stuck.

1. Download FreeDOS: http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FULL.zip
2. Extract FreeDOS
3. Create USB Disk from the FreeDOS image
4. Copy the C117 dir to the FreeDOS usb drive
5. Plug in the USB and boot into FreeDOS, select use DOS - don't need to install it
6. cd into the C117 directory
7. run update.BAT
8. System will shutdown when done

Assuming you are using Linux, the steps might look something like this:

Code: Select all

export X62_USB_DEVICE_LETTER="letter_of_the_usb_device"
mkdir -p /tmp/x62/mount
cd /tmp/x62
wget http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FULL.zip
unzip FD12FULL.zip
sudo dd if=FD12FULL.img of=/dev/sd$X62_USB_DEVICE_LETTER status=progress
sudo mount /dev/sd$X62_USB_DEVICE_LETTER /tmp/x62/mount
cp -r $PATH_TO_C117_DIR /tmp/x62/mount
sudo umount /tmp/x62/mount 
x220, w520, x201 (WXGA+), x61t (SXGA+)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “51nb and other modded Thinkpads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests