Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X62 problems, quirks, and fixes

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
mdancer

Re: X62 problems, quirks, and fixes

#31 Post by mdancer » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:19 am

mrj47 wrote:
mdancer wrote:
Here are some photos how it looks like

http://pasteboard.co/6gQ2RBmsQ.jpg
http://pasteboard.co/6gP8No4yF.jpg
Was the original x62 fan just taped on?
No, but you cannot simply replace the fan. How I did it looks not very elegant but works perfectly. This was x62s fan which could be different from x62 fan.

scrfce

#32 Post by scrfce » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:09 pm

I got audio working in Ubuntu, got better translation at 51nb.com for the guide I linked earlier:

You need to install alsa-tools

Create snd-hda-intel.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/ and add this line into it:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto index=1,0

Add these lines to /etc/rc.local:

/usr/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x01
/usr/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIRECTION 0x01
/usr/bin/hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x00

Then restart computer and run alsamixer. Intel PCH should show as selected soundcard. Be sure that "Master" and "Speaker" isn't muted. And its done!
Last edited by scrfce on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bibin

#33 Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:17 pm

That's great that the fix for the audio is available. The horrible audio interference and the inability to properly drive headphones must still be fixed.

Seggybop

#34 Post by Seggybop » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:34 pm

I'd like to report that I successfully tested an external GPU (egpu) through the mini pci-e slot. Here's a screenshot. I used a PE4C 3.0 adapter with an old Quadro 600 to test. The external GPU functions fine, but the internal GPU was disabled. This should be fixable with some additional work, but the main thing is that the slot on the x62 will definitely work. Later on I plan to try with a GTX 1080 and a mini pci-e extension ribbon feeding out from the pcmcia slot to produce an arrangement that's actually usable.

fatpolomanjr
Sophomore Member

#35 Post by fatpolomanjr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:19 pm

scrfce wrote:I got audio working in Ubuntu, got better translation at 51nb.com for the guide I linked earlier (yes, I'm nkwsky, but lost my pass and cannot recover it):

-nkwsky
I can confirm this fix works in Xubuntu 16.04.1. It wouldn't work for me at first due to all the other stuff I did to the audio and I was too lazy to try to pick it all apart, so I had to reinstall the OS. But it is now working 100%. Thanks nkwsky!

All I personally want now is some sort of fan control.
T14s | AUO 14" FHD Low Power 400 nit | Ryzen 7 4750u | Windows 10
T70 | 15" UXGA LED with RealBlackStuff LED-Cable-Mod | i7-7700HQ | Windows 10
X62 | 12.1" SXGA+ Xiphmont LED | i7-5500U | Xubuntu / Windows 10

quintus

#36 Post by quintus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 am

scrfce wrote:I got audio working in Ubuntu, got better translation at 51nb.com for the guide I linked earlier (yes, I'm nkwsky, but lost my pass and cannot recover it):

You need to install alsa-tools

Create snd-hda-intel.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/ and add this line into it:

Add these lines to /etc/rc.local:

Then restart computer and run alsamixer. Intel PCH should show as selected soundcard. Be sure that "Master" and "Speaker" isn't muted. And its done!

-nkwsky
Hi there.

Just a reminder that the GPIO would be reset after resume. We need to set it again in the resume scripts. By the way, I have updated the 51nb forum post to include the resume scripts and English translation. Hope that helps. i.e. http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1712217-1-1.html
--
Quintus
p.s.
BTW, I am the author of the 51nb forum post. :)

quintus

#37 Post by quintus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:30 am

quintus wrote:
Hi there.

Just a reminder that the GPIO would be reset after resume. We need to set it again in the resume scripts. By the way, I have updated the 51nb forum post to include the resume scripts and English translation. Hope that helps. i.e. http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1712217-1-1.html
--
Quintus
p.s.
BTW, I am the author of the 51nb forum post. :)
Here are the settings:

This fix requires the alsa command line tool: hda-verb
You could install the tool in Debian/Ubuntu by sudo apt-get install alas-tools.

Steps:

Add a modprobe conf /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf for telling snd_hda_intel to set the ALC662 card as the first one.

Code: Select all

# -- X62 Intel HDA order ------
Add a script /usr/local/bin/x62-speaker-fix for changing the ALC662 GPIO to turn on the external amplifier PAM8403.

#!/bin/sh
#
# -- X62 ALC662 GPIO fix ------
(
) > /dev/null 2>&1
Make it executable.

chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/x62-speaker-fix
Modify /etc/rc.local to include the script so that the ALC662 GPIO is set during boot up.

# -- X62 ALC662 GPIO fix ------
/usr/local/bin/x62-speaker-fix
4a.
For pm-utils
Add a resume script /etc/pm/sleep.d/80-x62-alsa to fix the GPIO when the machine resumes from suspend.

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
    thaw|resume)
        echo "set ALC662 GPIO, 2 seconds after resume..."
        sleep 2
        # Set ALC662 GPIO
        ;;
    *)  echo "do nothing."
        ;;
esac
Make it executable.

chmod a+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/80-x62-alsa
4b.
For systemd
Add a resume script /lib/systemd/system-sleep/x62-alsa to fix the GPIO when the machine resumes from suspend.

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
  post)
    sleep 2
    # Set ALC662 GPIO
    ;;
esac
Make it executable.

chmod a+x /lib/systemd/system-sleep/x62-alsa
After adding the scripts and configs, a reboot is needed. You may need to unmute the speaker by using alsamixer after reboot.

scrfce

#38 Post by scrfce » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks quintus! I'll try it.

creshal

#39 Post by creshal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:43 pm

The fix works, btw, and I've taken the liberty to make a systemd version for Arch. Should also work with Debian 8+ and whichever Ubuntu versions ship with systemd.

I'm not happy with the amount of work the X200 fan mod takes, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't solve the underlying problem and it's still relatively loud.

dmdsoftware

#40 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:18 pm

If you don't mind headphones, I reckon you can use a good USB audio adapter?

I'm used to the Raspberry Pi, and the Raspberry 2-3 have a lot of interference over the built in audio. Not nearly as bad on the Raspberry Pi A or B.

I picked up one of those USB Audio adapters (one that is Linux and Pi friendly),
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

smugiri

#41 Post by smugiri » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Seggybop wrote:I'm having trouble with the mini displayport. It works for a few seconds, but then gets stuck in a continuous loop of connecting/disconnecting the display, causing both the laptop and external display to turn on and off as long as it's plugged in. I'm using a Dell 3007WFP-HC with dual-link DVI to mDP adapter, but I don't think that should matter. Windows 10, latest drivers. Has anyone experienced something like this?

I have the same display with the same problem + others, specifically, not getting full 2560*1600 resolution from the monitor. I found that the only solution that always worked was to get an active DVI to DisplayPort adapter and then top that off with a displayport to miniDisplay port adapter. This is because the 3007WFP-HC can be very picky about which cables and PCs it will play nicely with at full resolution.

See this link on dell.com describing the underlying issue (and even more about the issue here, still on dell.com, where they directly link to a product ) as well as this listing on Amazon for the Accell Active Dual Display Adapter listing - this is the specific adapter I got to solve this problem and I have been more than happy with it. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

I know that your symptoms sound a little different but if you are trying to output from Displayport into the 3007WFP''s dual-link DVI, the problem is almost certainly this.

Drop me an email if you want to learn more about all of this. Can send you more details, pictures etc. Certainly understand why you would not want to give up the 3007WFP.

Don't be tempted to got the passive adapter route. They don't work. I tried 4 of them. If you Google 3007WFP + DisplayPort, you will get tons of other folks who found that passive adapters don't work. You need an active dual-link adapter and the Accell here is one of the best. You will also need a dual-link DVI cable which I guess you must have as you have been using the monitor to this point in time at full resolution (I'm guessing this was with a card that outputs full resolution to a physical dual-link capable DVI port).
Steve

Qing Dao
Sophomore Member

#42 Post by Qing Dao » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:06 am

I finally got my X62 up and running. I have had the motherboard for three months. I took it to work to put it together, but got annoyed by the relatively low quality things seemed and shoved it away somewhere. I brought it home about a week ago and got it up with Linux Mint. The computer runs fine.

Two things I've noticed with mine are that it runs cool and the fan is quiet. The fan barely comes on during normal use. The room I'm in now is about 19 degrees. Also my battery shows that it is charging and displays how much time is left.

The USB 2.0 ports on the right side are not working for me. They have no power. The cable seems to be installed correctly. I can't figure it out. I didn't do the audio fix yet, but I can hear a little static when plugging and unplugging the headphones, so they must be connected.

I guess the computer is "good enough," but don't expect to turn your X61 into a macbook air.
Four 15" T61 Frankenpads collecting dust and one X62 that sees no use, but X201 and X230 in service.

dmdsoftware

#43 Post by dmdsoftware » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Did anyone else have issues with wifi? I tried two different wifi cards (one Atheos from an X60s and a intel bluetooth combo card from a X61s), both in the full length slot (top slot) and neither card is detected in linux. Either an issue with the card or it thinks wifi is turned off -- it does not detect any wifi.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

dmdsoftware

#44 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 am

Here is a summary of my observations with my x62 board. I swapped it into a X60s (I also have a X61s that I compared things to, but my X60s is less worn out).

- I used a 's' version fan that was designed for this board. There was no tape holding it together, etc. It was all black. It does run most of the time, but vey quiet. goes on at a higher rate when system temperature goes above 57 C
- The speaker in both my X machines is a single speaker with a 2 pin connector. The X62 motherboard only accepts a 4 pin connector. Checking online, this appears to accept a two speaker configuration like the T420. I have access to a T420, so I will be trying the speaker.
- The CMOS battery connector on the board is a 2 pin connector, The CMOS battery on a X60/1 is a 3 pin connector. Checking online, this appears to be a similar CMOS battery as the T420.
- The system doesn't complain there is no CMOS battery, but I do have to modify the date.
- The system's default system date is June 2016. I must gather that this is when the board was assembled.
- When I plug the system in, it seems to "auto turn on". The bluetooth light is also on. I can't seem to get it to successfully boot up from this initial plugged in state (kernel panic). But if I turn it off and turn it back on, the bluetooth light goes off and the system boots up. I suspect once I have a system battery or a CMOS battery installed, I won't have to worry about this "auto on".
- I tried two X60 WIFI cards (a 2 wire and a 3 wire combo adapter). Neither were detected when I had it installed into the upper bay. When I installed into the lower bay, the issue was resolved.
- Without a speaker yet connected, I did try out the headphone jack. Audio quality was good -- no noise or interference. It also worked by default in kernel 4.5 debian install without any modifications or tweaks. [ I noticed others had issue here around the quality of the audio and the need to tweak the driver/settings to get to load]
- Playback of youtube 720p video did not raise the system temperature and fan remained quiet.
- I'm using a SXGA+ screen that was originally extracted from a X61t SXGA+ system.
- USB 3 port worked, and I did not find it difficult to plug into, and I did not find that the bezel blocked or squished the port
- My last surviving X60/1 battery was in a deep sleep. It originally didn't detect when plugged in. I plugged it into a X60s and let it cycle through that state to get it back into a charging state (lights go from fully charged to blinking as if there is an issue with the battery, to charging). Once I did that, I plugged it into the X62 (I do admit at this time I was cold booting the system instead of plugging it into a system already booted up). It detected the battery and charge light was a steady amber, and linux battery indicator steadily increasing.
- My core system temperature when using a web browser (6 tabs) but not actively watching videos is 45 C.
- I applied Arctic Silver MX -4 paste when attaching the fan (I may have used a tad too much, time will tell).
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

binbash

#45 Post by binbash » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:43 am

Hello everyone,

I'm big thinkpad fan too :)
Thinkpad X60 was one of my favorite one, so I can't wait to receive my X62. I was able to choose a case with old colored IBM logo (thanks Jacky!)

I also want to help fixing the two main problems : oversimplified fan control and cheap audio.

Regarding the audio problem:
Bibin wrote:I'm not sure if that helps, but in my case I ripped out the amplifier and constructed my own solution in hardware for the speakers. The amplifier the X62 comes with has serious interference issues, with both the fan and GSM signals.
Can you please explain how you was able to do it? Which parts did you use? Some pictures would be so nice too!

Regarding the fan control power, Is someone working on a bios fix? Is this something "easy" to fix? I mean a real fix that allows the OS (linux for my part) to communicate with the chip.

I really want to make this laptop perfect, because for me it's already so close to perfection!

dmdsoftware

#46 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:58 am

binbash wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm big thinkpad fan too :)
Thinkpad X60 was one of my favorite one, so I can't wait to receive my X62. I was able to choose a case with old colored IBM logo (thanks Jacky!)

I also want to help fixing the two main problems : oversimplified fan control and cheap audio.

Regarding the audio problem:
Bibin wrote:I'm not sure if that helps, but in my case I ripped out the amplifier and constructed my own solution in hardware for the speakers. The amplifier the X62 comes with has serious interference issues, with both the fan and GSM signals.
Can you please explain how you was able to do it? Which parts did you use? Some pictures would be so nice too!

Regarding the fan control power, Is someone working on a bios fix? Is this something "easy" to fix? I mean a real fix that allows the OS (linux for my part) to communicate with the chip.

I really want to make this laptop perfect, because for me it's already so close to perfection!
I got the X62 going yesterday and this morning I worked on the speaker. I haven't witnessed the issues talked about in the thread. Perhaps it's a newer board? The timestamp on the 06/07/2016. Perhaps I got a revised one?

I also didn't notice any fan issues. It is on a lot, but usually low. Right now I'm on battery, typing in an absolute quiet room, cpu temperature is 44 C and the fan is off. All you can hear is the patter of the keyboard typing.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

binbash

#47 Post by binbash » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Sounds fantastic! Hope I will be as lucky as you!

dmdsoftware

#48 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:01 pm

binbash wrote:Sounds fantastic! Hope I will be as lucky as you!

I think and hope you will be happy with yours.

I loved my X60 when I bought it in 2006 to replace a X30. Bought a X61 (SXGA) years later for the boost. Retired the X61 only in 2014 with a Carbon X1. Although I love the Carbon X1 and I trained myself to detach myself from the small size of the X61, I'm glad to have my X61 back in use.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

binbash

#49 Post by binbash » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm almost sure I will love it :wink:
It's soo cool to have a 4/3 old school beast in 2017 :lol:

I also have a Carbon X1 3 with touchscreen hidpi screen now, but I don't like it because of non detachable battery, lack of normal ethernet port and neverending problem with linux and hidpi screen... And the feature I love the most with old thinkpads is the possibility to swap the hard drive without having to open the case, and the thinklight too :P

harryK
Sophomore Member

Non existent power management

#50 Post by harryK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 am

I got my X62 (second batch, I believe) a couple of days ago.

Installed an Intel 7260 wlan card and upgraded the BIOS (20161210) and EC (EC0718). The EC update made the trick, and now the fan is very quiet most of the time. However one huge problem under Linux is power consumption. As per i7z the processor never seems to get to a cstate above C1, the idle power draw is around 12-14W, almost double that of my X230.

I have everything in place: ASPM is working, TLP is set up, the GPU should be able to reach RC6. ALPM and DEVSLEEP are turned on the BIOS.

I understand the CCFL screen is a big power hog. I will install xiphmont's led kit today and see if anything improves, but the cpu never reaching the deeper states is really a show stopper.

Has anyone managed to sort this?
Last edited by harryK on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmdsoftware

Re: Non existent power management

#51 Post by dmdsoftware » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:31 am

harryK wrote:I got my X62 (second batch, I believe) a couple of days ago.

Installed an Intel 7260 wlan card and upgraded the BIOS (20161210) and EC (EC0718). The EC update made the trick, and now the fan is very quiet most of the times. However one huge problem under Linux is power consumption. As per i7z the processor never seems to get to a cstate above C1, the idle power draw is around 12-14W, almost double that of my X230.

I have everything in place ASPM is working, TLP is set up, the GPU should be able to reach RC6. ALPM and DEVSLEEP are turned on the BIOS.

I understand the CCFL screen is a big power hog. I will install xiphmont's led kit today and see if anything improves, but the cpu never reaching the deeper states is really a show stopper.

I'll check my machine today. Where did you get the BIOS update from?
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

harryK
Sophomore Member

#52 Post by harryK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:21 am

dmdsoftware wrote:Where did you get the BIOS update from?
51nb.

BIOS is here --> http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1729972-1-1.html (also contains an update to the EC, but that's aimed at the third batch and makes the fan of the second batch go bananas)

EC (flash after bios) --> http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1692049-1-1.html

creshal

#53 Post by creshal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 pm

How do I even figure out what batch my board is?

harryK
Sophomore Member

#54 Post by harryK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

creshal wrote:How do I even figure out what batch my board is?
If you bought it with the reddit thing is probably second.

dmdsoftware

#55 Post by dmdsoftware » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:09 pm

harryK wrote:I got my X62 (second batch, I believe) a couple of days ago.

Installed an Intel 7260 wlan card and upgraded the BIOS (20161210) and EC (EC0718). The EC update made the trick, and now the fan is very quiet most of the time. However one huge problem under Linux is power consumption. As per i7z the processor never seems to get to a cstate above C1, the idle power draw is around 12-14W, almost double that of my X230.

I have everything in place: ASPM is working, TLP is set up, the GPU should be able to reach RC6. ALPM and DEVSLEEP are turned on the BIOS.

Few minutes while playing a video

Package   |             Core    |            CPU 0       CPU 2
                    |                     | C0 active  11.5%       11.7%
                    |                     | POLL        0.0%    0.5 ms  0.0%    0.0 ms
                    |                     | C1          8.7%    0.4 ms  7.4%    0.3 ms
C2 (pc2)   11.1%    |                     | C2         33.2%    0.9 ms 28.5%    1.1 ms
C3 (pc3)   41.8%    | C3 (cc3)    0.0%    | C3         47.0%    1.4 ms 52.8%    1.6 ms
C6 (pc6)    0.0%    | C6 (cc6)    0.0%    |
C7 (pc7)    0.0%    | C7 (cc7)   67.8%    |
C8 (pc8)    0.0%    |                     |
C9 (pc9)    0.0%    |                     |
C10 (pc10)  0.0%    |                     |

|             Core    |            CPU 1       CPU 3
                    |                     | C0 active  12.1%        9.9%
                    |                     | POLL        0.0%    0.0 ms  0.0%    0.0 ms
                    |                     | C1          9.7%    0.3 ms  6.1%    0.4 ms
                    |                     | C2         26.4%    0.8 ms 21.0%    1.1 ms
                    | C3 (cc3)    0.0%    | C3         52.1%    1.7 ms 63.3%    1.9 ms
                    | C6 (cc6)    0.0%    |
                    | C7 (cc7)   68.6%    |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |

|             GPU     |
                    |                     |
                    | Powered On  0.1%    |
                    | RC6        99.9%    |
                    | RC6p        0.0%    |
                    | RC6pp       0.0%    |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

fatpolomanjr
Sophomore Member

#56 Post by fatpolomanjr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 pm

harryK wrote:BIOS is here --> http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1729972-1-1.html (also contains an update to the EC, but that's aimed at the third batch and makes the fan of the second batch go bananas)

Was the BIOS update without the EC supposed to help with the fan speed? Also, how do you flash it? I can't find the thread with instructions. Something about setting up a DOS disk.
Last edited by fatpolomanjr on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T14s | AUO 14" FHD Low Power 400 nit | Ryzen 7 4750u | Windows 10
T70 | 15" UXGA LED with RealBlackStuff LED-Cable-Mod | i7-7700HQ | Windows 10
X62 | 12.1" SXGA+ Xiphmont LED | i7-5500U | Xubuntu / Windows 10

dmdsoftware

#57 Post by dmdsoftware » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

fatpolomanjr wrote:Was the BIOS update without the EC supposed to help with the fan speed? Also, how do you flash it? I can't find the thread with instructions. Something about setting up a DOS disk.
I haven't flashed my BIOS. I want to get a CMOS battery first before I attempt it.

My system date always resets to June 2016, so this is likely the date the BIOS image was prepared.

I'm not having any fan issues.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

harryK
Sophomore Member

#58 Post by harryK » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:42 pm

fatpolomanjr wrote:
harryK wrote:BIOS is here --> http://forum.51nb.com/thread-1729972-1-1.html (also contains an update to the EC, but that's aimed at the third batch and makes the fan of the second batch go bananas)

Was the BIOS update without the EC supposed to help with the fan speed? Also, how do you flash it? I can't find the thread with instructions. Something about setting up a DOS disk.
Only the EC update deals with the fan. The BIOS release updates to a newer version, so I thought it would be nice to have. Didn't spot any visible changes, at least nothing changed in the setup menu.

To flash you need to create a bootable DOS usb stick (FreeDos is good), uncompress the files into it, boot from it, and lauch the .bat file.

creshal

#59 Post by creshal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Powertop pre BIOS update, not sure if that changes anything:

PowerTOP 2.8      Overview   Idle stats   Frequency stats   Device stats   Tunables                                     

Package   |             Core    |            CPU 0       CPU 2
                    |                     | C0 active   1.8%        1.0%
                    |                     | C1E-BDW     3.1%    0.8 ms  1.8%    1.9 ms
C2 (pc2)    6.9%    |                     |
C3 (pc3)   59.8%    | C3 (cc3)    1.0%    | C3-BDW      1.3%    0.5 ms  0.3%    0.6 ms
C6 (pc6)    0.0%    | C6 (cc6)    0.4%    | C6-BDW      0.5%    0.6 ms  0.1%    0.7 ms
C7 (pc7)    0.0%    | C7 (cc7)   77.7%    | C7s-BDW     3.5%    1.1 ms  0.7%    1.2 ms
C8 (pc8)    0.0%    |                     | C8-BDW      8.1%    1.7 ms  2.3%    2.2 ms
C9 (pc9)    0.0%    |                     | C9-BDW     38.6%    4.1 ms 15.6%    5.3 ms
C10 (pc10)  0.0%    |                     | C10-BDW    36.9%   11.7 ms 69.6%   21.4 ms

|             Core    |            CPU 1       CPU 3
                    |                     | C0 active   1.3%        1.2%
                    |                     | C1E-BDW     3.8%    2.8 ms  0.2%    0.7 ms
                    |                     |
                    | C3 (cc3)    0.5%    | C3-BDW      0.5%    0.4 ms  0.4%    1.0 ms
                    | C6 (cc6)    0.1%    | C6-BDW      0.1%    0.2 ms  0.1%    0.6 ms
                    | C7 (cc7)   77.3%    | C7s-BDW     1.5%    0.9 ms  0.8%    1.4 ms
                    |                     | C8-BDW      2.9%    1.4 ms  2.4%    1.9 ms
                    |                     | C9-BDW     17.7%    4.7 ms 12.4%    5.4 ms
                    |                     | C10-BDW    62.8%   18.7 ms 72.5%   24.2 ms

|             GPU     |
                    |                     |
                    | Powered On  3.7%    |
                    | RC6        96.3%    |
                    | RC6p        0.0%    |
                    | RC6pp       0.0%    |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
Looks pretty reasonable, apart from package sleep. dmdsoftware, what kernel are you running that you don't get the Broadwell sleep states?

harryK
Sophomore Member

#60 Post by harryK » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

creshal wrote:Powertop pre BIOS update, not sure if that changes anything:

Looks pretty reasonable, apart from package sleep. dmdsoftware, what kernel are you running that you don't get the Broadwell sleep states?
What is your idle power draw?