Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How many of you have already got the X62? And any new interest?

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
dmdsoftware

Re: How many of you have already got the X62? And any new interest?

#31 Post by dmdsoftware » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

fourthree wrote:
dmdsoftware wrote:
Nope, there wasn't and isn't but I think someone was suggesting upgrading the CPU. They must think the CPU would be compatible with the motherboard.
So basically, desoldering and putting in a different CPU? Might as well go for an 5700hq.. just kidding!

Is the CPU soldered on? I really never took note when I was screwing on the fan.
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

fourthree
Freshman Member

#32 Post by fourthree » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 am

dmdsoftware wrote:
fourthree wrote: So basically, desoldering and putting in a different CPU? Might as well go for an 5700hq.. just kidding!

Is the CPU soldered on? I really never took note when I was screwing on the fan.
Should be on all laptops these days as Intel no longer offers socketed CPUs for laptops.
Dorkstation: T601f
Ultraportable: X61s

dmdsoftware

#33 Post by dmdsoftware » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 am

fourthree wrote:
dmdsoftware wrote:
Nope, there wasn't and isn't but I think someone was suggesting upgrading the CPU. They must think the CPU would be compatible with the motherboard.
So basically, desoldering and putting in a different CPU? Might as well go for an 5700hq.. just kidding!

Heating and wattage are concerns. There is a thread on the Chinese forum about the 5557u swap but no confirmation of someone actually reporting back on a success story with a swap.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

jaspen-meyer

#34 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 am

RMSMajestic wrote:
jaspen-meyer wrote:
Which screens can be used with the MB?
The original XGA screen and HV121P01(-100/-101)
So, if I have a basic x61 with a LTN121XJ-L07 screen, this motherboard is a drop in replacement??
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

dmdsoftware

#35 Post by dmdsoftware » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm

jaspen-meyer wrote:
RMSMajestic wrote:
The original XGA screen and HV121P01(-100/-101)
So, if I have a basic x61 with a LTN121XJ-L07 screen, this motherboard is a drop in replacement??
Yes, it does work.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

xsixt
Sophomore Member

#36 Post by xsixt » Mon May 15, 2017 5:42 am

I think a X62 would be a really useful form factor for my own application, but I am used to using quadro dedicated graphics (FX 880M), so I'm wondering how the HD 5500 fares?

I had an Intel HD 3000 (T420s) and it wasn't quite powerful enough for my needs.
T60p 15" UXGA T7600 | T61p 15.4" WUXGA T9500 |
Former: X61 T8300 [Slow GPU] | W510 FHD QM [Top screen but 16:9 sucks] | T420s [Portable but worst LCD ever] | X201 | X200 | X60T [Slow & hot]

FryPpy

#37 Post by FryPpy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:20 am

Greet me in;)

Got one from 4nd batch. Only single motherboard. Already assembled but can't understand how to use plastic spacer for docking port :?:

dmdsoftware

#38 Post by dmdsoftware » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Received my 4th batch unit and the previous issues seemed pretty much resolved.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

E350

#39 Post by E350 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:01 pm

FryPpy wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:20 am
Greet me in;)

Got one from 4nd batch. Only single motherboard. Already assembled but can't understand how to use plastic spacer for docking port :?:
FryPpy: Whoa, wait just one minute! Are you saying that I can put an X62 motherboard in my X61 and still be able to use the docking stations?

flyingfishfinger

#40 Post by flyingfishfinger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Sadly, no. He's probably talking about that 3D printed piece that covers where the dock connector is SUPPOSED to be.

The one I printed off doesn't fit very well either, I believe you line up the oval hole and sort of squish it in... that more or less did the trick for me.

R

twisting_edge

#41 Post by twisting_edge » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm

I've got my hands on a 3rd batch x62 board, with an x61 (not x61s) fan. It came with a palmrest (top case cover), not sure why that needs to be replaced. But there's no documentation. If anyone knows where there's any specific installation doc (other than the standard x61 maintenance manual), a link would be extremely welcome. I'm coming up dry on that front.

Someone suggested this would be a drop-in replacement in an x61, but I wasn't clear about the screen in their case. Will it require an IPS screen? I have one on order (along with an adaptor), but was planning to use it for a different project.

Also, paging through the manual, it looks like I might be able to get this into an x60. It's not that different from an x61. The sound & palmrest button connectors were the only differences that looked like they might be significant. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have two x60's floating around that I have no real use for. I do have two spare x61's, but I use them for things (specifically, Windows 10 and Snow Leopard). I could spare the Hackintosh, but I'd rather keep it to impress the natives.

Some background: I've swapped the lids on a pair of x40's (requires dismantling just about everything), and both victims survived. I'm not thrilled about opening a bezel (the mechanics of LCDs are not always forgiving), but could probably make it work. If I knew for sure something went together, I feel I can figure out how it works. If I have doc to follow, and it doesn't go together, I can usually figure out the workaround. If I have no doc and no idea if it's supposed to work, that's one more degree of freedom than I am comfortable with on the hardware side (but where the fun starts in software).

If nothing else, the x60's can serve as cadavers in a med school: practice patients you can't help, but are not expected to survive in any case.
X22, X32, X40, X41, 6 x X61, X1 Carbon 5th - all run just fine. There's justification for that "6 x X61"
Daily driver: X61 - the X1 is a work machine foisted upon me by my employer
I'm not actually a ThinkPad junkie, it just worked out that way.

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#42 Post by NonesensE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 am

twisting_edge wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm
I've got my hands on a 3rd batch x62 board, with an x61 (not x61s) fan. It came with a palmrest (top case cover), not sure why that needs to be replaced. But there's no documentation. If anyone knows where there's any specific installation doc (other than the standard x61 maintenance manual), a link would be extremely welcome. I'm coming up dry on that front.
It's really pretty much straight forward. My 3rd batch X62 board came from Jacky with 3d printed parts to close the holes and with a new clearplate sticker and a sticker to tape over the dock connector hole after inserting the 3d printed part. A new palmrest doesn't belong to the kit.
Someone suggested this would be a drop-in replacement in an x61, but I wasn't clear about the screen in their case. Will it require an IPS screen? I have one on order (along with an adaptor), but was planning to use it for a different project.
It's a drop-in replacement for X61 and X60, you can use any screen in the same way as on a regular X6x. My X62s is in a X60s shell with the TMD (ultralight) display, works fine.
Also, paging through the manual, it looks like I might be able to get this into an x60. It's not that different from an x61. The sound & palmrest button connectors were the only differences that looked like they might be significant. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have two x60's floating around that I have no real use for. I do have two spare x61's, but I use them for things (specifically, Windows 10 and Snow Leopard). I could spare the Hackintosh, but I'd rather keep it to impress the natives.
As said, works well in the X60. The sound connector on the X62 is stereo, simply use one of the channels. Stereo mods are possible. I don't know what you mean by palmrest buttons...
Some background: I've swapped the lids on a pair of x40's (requires dismantling just about everything), and both victims survived. I'm not thrilled about opening a bezel (the mechanics of LCDs are not always forgiving), but could probably make it work. If I knew for sure something went together, I feel I can figure out how it works. If I have doc to follow, and it doesn't go together, I can usually figure out the workaround. If I have no doc and no idea if it's supposed to work, that's one more degree of freedom than I am comfortable with on the hardware side (but where the fun starts in software).

If nothing else, the x60's can serve as cadavers in a med school: practice patients you can't help, but are not expected to survive in any case.
Shouldn't be too complicated for you. I think this thread had a few pictures describing the mod. On the LCDfans facebook site, there's an additional note to isolate a certain area: https://www.facebook.com/notes/lcdfans/ ... 045645232/

A few tips: Don't put a drive into the mSATA slot. It is placed above the CPU and gets pretty hot. If you want an mSATA drive, get a 2.5"SATA=>mSATA adapter. Use a more or less modern half-size wifi card for less heat (FRU cards are not supported! I use an Intel 7260 AC). And configure your OS so that it reaches package-C7 state for significantly reduced heat and huge power saving (and hardly any noise).
Sometimes coming over from the German forum...
X62s 3rd batch, [s]T61[/s] T70 14" 4:3 1st batch

dmdsoftware

#43 Post by dmdsoftware » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:42 am

twisting_edge wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm

I would personally sacrifice the X60 machines over the X61. The 32bit X60 is less useful today then the 64bit X61 (modified bios, SATA 2, etc, in addition to whole 32 vs 64 argument)

I agree with the advice of NonesensE, but I'll add a few more points from having done this mod 3 times now.

It sounds like you got this from ebay (I know the listing). Yes, indeed, it comes with a X62 fan and not the slimmer fan. The X62 regular fan version will fit either a X60/X61. The X62s slimmer fan fersion will fit a X60s/X60t/X61s/X61t.

For a X60/X61, first thing you need to do is remove all the screws on the bottom of the case. They are marked both keyboard and pc card. There is also an additional 1 screw (unmarked) near the VGA port that holds the motherboard in place. Remove this as well. This screw won't be going back into place on the new motherboard.

You don't need to remove the screen if you are not replacing it (nor the 4 screws that hold it in).

Now lift the keyboard (and disconnect) and the bezel (disconnect the fingerprint reader if it applies).

Remove the two screws holding holding down the LCD cable. There are also two screws holdings things down near the SATA connector + power connector. There are two screws near the PC card slot, remove those (you can put those aside, they won't be needed on the new board).

Disconnect the power cable, the speaker, the black cable running from modem jack to modem card, and the wifi antennas. There is no modem card on the new board, and I find the cable is a nuisance and likes to get in the way, so I trace it back to close to where it comes in, and I cut it. Just don't cut the power cable.

At this point you should be able to start lifting the motherboard up.

Regarding the wifi card, it was pointed out that original FRU card won't work. I can't say either way. Two of the X61 systems I modded had a more modern full-length wifi card (unlocked bios) and these cards that worked on the unlocked X61 worked on the X62. I was going to use a full-length FRU on the 3rd mod but I had issues finding a fastener to screw down the card, so I ended up locating a spare half-size card in the junk drawer (must have been pulled from an old T420).

The wifi card may be difficult to remove from the old motherboard (most tended to come tight with screws that strip easily). Depending on which you have, you may want to consider upgrading with a spare wifi card that maybe better. I didn't bother trying to remove mine. I just replaced it with a spare centrino n half-height card. The wifi card goes into the bottom slot on the new board. You may have issues holding down a full height card. wifi card won't work on the upper slot.

On the new motherboard, remove the 4 spring + screws holding down CPU brace. Apply some arctic silver or other compound to the cpu and then place the fan ontop so that the holes line up and the brace lines up. Then screw in the spring screws.

Connect the SATA daughterboard to the motherboard. Slide in the motherboard into the case. Place the audio daughterboard to the case (it will be loose but will be held in place when the case is assembled). Attach the ribbon cable to the motherboard so that the pins are facing down, towards the board. Likewise attach to the audio board.

You are going to need to buy a CMOS battery. Your ebay board doesn't have one and the X60/X61 is not compatible (not the same number of pins). One from a later thinkpad will work. The connector on your particular board is close to the audio ribbon cable connector.

Screw down the two screws near the SATA connector board. Attach the power cable. Attach the speaker to either the left two pins or right two pins. If you have another speaker handy or a proper stereo speaker, you can use that. Attach the wifi antennas. Attach the LCD cable (screws may not hold down the cable). Place the bezel back on (plugging in the finger print reader). Your ebay listing contained a bezel which is not needed. Your previous bezel will do the trick.

At this point I like to test out the unit by installing the memory and laying and plugging in the keyboard.

When you assemble the unit, no screw goes back into the slot near the VGA connector used sit.

For the dock port, since your ebay listing didn't contain them, and unless you are going to 3d print them, I found cutting out a piece of cardboard slightly bigger then the hole, and then taping it down (from the outside side) with black electrical tape was clean and adequate. Likewise on the left hand side with the display ports (unless you are going to use them).

If you are using a X61 case, you will also have an opening on the far right where the IR used to reside.
Last edited by dmdsoftware on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

dmdsoftware

#44 Post by dmdsoftware » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 am

I'll also followup about posting some X61t information for those who find this thread and wonder about the tablet conversion....

I've done one mod involving a X61t -> X62 (I had a great condition / like-new X61t and two tablet batteries -- only made sense). There is a user in Germany who posted instructions and photos of the mod. He went ahead and the the soldering mods to get the pen working. The pictures are helpful, the instructions are in German and some of the details are lost in translation.

For those who are contemplating the install, but not desiring to do the soldering work, it is very doable. I've done the mod without needing to do the soldering. Tablet pen/touch won't work unless you do the soldering mod, but I didn't want to use it as a tablet.

Here are the gotchas if you choose to do the mod without the soldering work:
1) the indicator lights on the top-outside of the LCD won't work -- no loss there, indicator lights except for charging work on the lower left inside
2) you lose bluetooth functionality (on the non-tablet, the bluetooth module plugs into the inverter board inside the LCD, on equipped systems), on the tablet version, it plugs motherboard near the keyboard connector and runs along a metallic cable to under the right hand palm rest
3) I assume fingerprint reader is non-functional since it is embedded in the LCD panel
4) the rotation controls in the panel are lost -- no loss there if you are not using in tablet mode -- power button on LCD does work.
5) you need to slightly cut down the USB port next to the fan exhaust on the bezel to get the bezel to snap back into place -- not a huge issue, it is only a small piece and scissors did the trick
6) the SATA board sits slightly more receded. I'm not sure why the modders decided to change the connector type and not make their SATA board 100% compatible with the original. The 2.5" SATA drive won't meet the connector. This is where I believe the German user also did some trickery and resoldered the new board's connector or soldered the new connector onto the old board. Can't really tell by translation. You could possibly cut down the case to allow the drive to push further back, to make the connection. I don't know how that would impact the battery. I had a spare M2 SATA drive, and a M2 SATA to 2.5" SATA board had arrived in time for my mod, so I used this instead. Worked great and I didn't need to modify anything.

Just one final note. You need to make sure to order the X62s slimmer fan. The X62 fat fan won't fit.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#45 Post by NonesensE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Great summary! A few minor annotations:
dmdsoftware wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:42 am
If you are using a X61 case, you will also have an opening on the far right where the IR used to reside.
Nope. The X60 has a tinted window for IR => stays there non-functional in the X62 mod. The X61 has no IR. Both however have Firewire which is ommitted in the X62 and leaves an opening.
dmdsoftware wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 am
2) you lose bluetooth functionality (on the non-tablet, the bluetooth module plugs into the inverter board inside the LCD, on equipped systems), on the tablet version, it plugs motherboard near the keyboard connector and runs along a metallic cable to under the right hand palm rest
3) I assume fingerprint reader is non-functional since it is embedded in the LCD panel
FPR works, bluetooth doesn't (or works half-way). The fingerprint sensor goes in where the bluetooth connector is and vice versa. Both are USB devices and the additional contacts at both the connector in the middle of the motherboard as well as within the display connector on the original boards carry additional bluetooth status signals for switching the LED etc. The X62 board however carries these signals on the display connector only. The easiest solution is to simply omit the bluetooth module and use a combined Wifi/BT card instead, e.g. the Intel 7260. You lose the functionality of the BT LED, though.
4) the rotation controls in the panel are lost -- no loss there if you are not using in tablet mode -- power button on LCD does work.
5) you need to slightly cut down the USB port next to the fan exhaust on the bezel to get the bezel to snap back into place -- not a huge issue, it is only a small piece and scissors did the trick
If I understood the google translations from 51nb correctly, this depends on the batch of the board and is not dependent on the X6x version. There was a picture with the USB mounted in three different heights.
6) the SATA board sits slightly more receded. I'm not sure why the modders decided to change the connector type and not make their SATA board 100% compatible with the original. The 2.5" SATA drive won't meet the connector. This is where I believe the German user also did some trickery and resoldered the new board's connector or soldered the new connector onto the old board. Can't really tell by translation.
He soldered a new connector onto the old board. The new connector is standard 2.54mm pitch multi-pin connector.
You could possibly cut down the case to allow the drive to push further back, to make the connection. I don't know how that would impact the battery.
You can't, it would.
I had a spare M2 SATA drive, and a M2 SATA to 2.5" SATA board had arrived in time for my mod, so I used this instead. Worked great and I didn't need to modify anything.
This is indeed the easier way. mSATA to 2.5"SATA adapter boards should work as well.

dmdsoftware

#46 Post by dmdsoftware » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 pm

NonesensE wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm
Nope. The X60 has a tinted window for IR => stays there non-functional in the X62 mod. The X61 has no IR. Both however have Firewire which is ommitted in the X62 and leaves an opening.
Ah, yes, correct you are. Forgot about the firewire, and I was looking down at my X61t-> X62 at the time of the post, but had forgotten that yes, there was a firewire port there.
dmdsoftware wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 am
FPR works, bluetooth doesn't (or works half-way). The fingerprint sensor goes in where the bluetooth connector is and vice versa. Both are USB devices and the additional contacts at both the connector in the middle of the motherboard as well as within the display connector on the original boards carry additional bluetooth status signals for switching the LED etc. The X62 board however carries these signals on the display connector only. The easiest solution is to simply omit the bluetooth module and use a combined Wifi/BT card instead, e.g. the Intel 7260. You lose the functionality of the BT LED, though.
Ah, I wasn't aware. Intriguing. Are the two connectors identical? I haven't compared them because it never crossed my mind they might be.
If I understood the google translations from 51nb correctly, this depends on the batch of the board and is not dependent on the X6x version. There was a picture with the USB mounted in three different heights.
[/quote]

Yes, there was an issue with some with the height. In this case, I actually had a X62 with slim fan installed in a X60s. Then I got a spare X62 with fat fan which I wanted to install in a X61t. So what I did was take the entire assembled X62 with slim fan out of the X60s and put it into the X61t. The bezel on the left side wouldn't snap back together because it was being obstructed. It was fine in the X60s. The port was slightly off in the X60s case, but port was useable and the bezel connected fine. But when I placed the same board in the X61t, the bezel had a plastic piece that was preventing the top part of the bezel from snapping to the bottom piece. The X61t bezel on my unit is two piece and all my non-tablet X60/X61 bezels are one piece. So the issue might be different. I believe the German user noted the same issue.
This is indeed the easier way. mSATA to 2.5"SATA adapter boards should work as well.
Most likely. The width of the board is what matters. I have a mSATA converter board and a 62GB mSATA SSD, but I didn't try it. I know from memory my particular converter board is wide, same width as a 2.5" SSD, which may run into the same problem of not fitting into the bay, possibly.
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD

past:
X20-X24, 390X

twisting_edge

#47 Post by twisting_edge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Many thanks for the timely response. I consider myself pretty much a script kiddie on hardware matters, but this should be enough to go on.
NonesensE wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 am
A few tips: Don't put a drive into the mSATA slot. It is placed above the CPU and gets pretty hot. If you want an mSATA drive, get a 2.5"SATA=>mSATA adapter. Use a more or less modern half-size wifi card for less heat (FRU cards are not supported! I use an Intel 7260 AC). And configure your OS so that it reaches package-C7 state for significantly reduced heat and huge power saving (and hardly any noise).
As far as the WiFi goes, the board came with a new card, Intel 7260HMW. For the drive I plan to use the 2.5" SATA drive that came with my first x61 (replaced with an SSD, it's been sitting a drawer, but should work). I'll transition the SSD after I decide the machine is stable enough to be my front-line x6x.
dmdsoftware wrote:
It sounds like you got this from ebay (I know the listing).
Weird coincidence probably not worth mentioning: the guy selling it lives about 15 miles from me. Detail worth mentioning: it came with RAM and the aforementioned WiFi card. That's (hopefully) two items off the list of bonehead errors. Given how many times I may have to go over that list, it's nice to have.
dmdsoftware wrote:
You don't need to remove the screen if you are not replacing it (nor the 4 screws that hold it in).
That could be a big time-saver. I recall an astounding amount of disassembly just to get at the hinges and connectors to remove the lid. Of course, I'll still have to access the connectors anyway, but it's one less thing to wrong during reassembly.
dmdsoftware wrote:
You are going to need to buy a CMOS battery. Your ebay board doesn't have one and the X60/X61 is not compatible (not the same number of pins). One from a later thinkpad will work. The connector on your particular board is close to the audio ribbon cable connector.
The CMOS battery did puzzle me for a bit, but there was a link on a 51nb site that linked to a page that would sell the appropriate battery. I read the serial numbers off the photo, but the only ex-Chinese sites carrying it were European sites listing it as an X300 (I think it was) battery. So I bought a US X300 CMOS battery. The news here will be if that doesn't work.

BTW, I use an x41 as my main laptop (outside work). I keep the x61 floating around because I suspect some day I will be forced to move beyond 2GB of RAM and a single thread. The only reason I have three of them is because I feel compelled to buy them when I see a good one going for a song. I've had to stop looking after I bought one off Goodwill (with so-so battery, 4Gb and a 250 HD) for $30.

My main rig is 3Ghz i7 desktop with a dedicated vertical monitor (one of three) & suchlike. I often find myself in the somewhat bizarre situation of using that rig as a dumb terminal to VNC to the x41's desktop to get some programming done. It's where all my interesting stuff gets done.
X22, X32, X40, X41, 6 x X61, X1 Carbon 5th - all run just fine. There's justification for that "6 x X61"
Daily driver: X61 - the X1 is a work machine foisted upon me by my employer
I'm not actually a ThinkPad junkie, it just worked out that way.

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#48 Post by NonesensE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:37 pm

dmdsoftware wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Ah, I wasn't aware. Intriguing. Are the two connectors identical? I haven't compared them because it never crossed my mind they might be.
Electrically yes, physically no. The tablet's bluetooth cable adapts from the FPR/BT connector in the middle of the motherboard to the connector type that is seated on the display cable in non-tablets. The BT modules are the same.

FryPpy

#49 Post by FryPpy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:27 am

E350 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:01 pm
FryPpy: Whoa, wait just one minute! Are you saying that I can put an X62 motherboard in my X61 and still be able to use the docking stations?
Sorry for leaving thread for long time... but the answer already written - NO. X62 m/b simply haven't docking connector but have 3D printed plastic spacer that don't want to snap in place for me.
NonesensE wrote:
My 3rd batch X62 board came from Jacky with 3d printed parts to close the holes and with a new clearplate sticker and a sticker to tape over the dock connector hole after inserting the 3d printed part.
My haven't any stickers - that's why i have asked the question... But double sided adhesive tape almost made trick for me.
NonesensE wrote:
The sound connector on the X62 is stereo, simply use one of the channels. Stereo mods are possible.
Interesting. I have connected speakers from T500 (to check the connector type and if it really stereo) and they sounds well. BUT where to place second speaker in X61 body? My plan - is to cut audio board and place speaker in rightmost corner. Any links to this mod will be very appriciated.

I have some spare speakers from X61 and X201 but no room for them. The space between m/b and sound board now ocupated with usb-WWAN adapter. USB connector (and cables) are taken from T60 modem harness (leaved as spare from time when i did T601fp and now helped).
Bad things. WWAN led constantly light up (even before i began WWAN mod). And i need some soldering to connect WWAN card in usb-WWAN adapter to Thinkpad's wireless switch.

As for my X62: I haven't any issues with USB3 port or SATA connector (SATA daughter board). Jacky on lcdfans have written advaise to insulate MG-frame under SATA daughter board and i did it. But my SATA daughter board already have thick adhesive tape attached to the bottom surface.

Haven't done any powersaving exercises yet;(