Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A few questions about the x62

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
mugenn

A few questions about the x62

#1 Post by mugenn » Sun May 06, 2018 12:00 am

So, my two main concerns and reasons why I'm interested in the x62 are battery life and screen/resolution. The next most important thing would be price. I know it can come in various configurations, but what would be the cheapest with the best battery life? How many hours could I get on it if I for example were contnuously were watching youtube videos?
I want to buy one, possibly from here, but I'm not so sure what to ask for.

Icewobs
Sophomore Member

Re: A few questions about the x62

#2 Post by Icewobs » Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 am

If battery life and price are so important, why an x62 (over say, for example) an X61 with T9300 CPU. (Yes, I realize this is a biased look because I have my own sitting with me in the Marketplace.)

But you also mention the screen's resolution. I have an SXGA IPS screen but I would probably charge dearly for it. These are hard to come by pre-built and perhaps all the more costly in sourcing parts and the time to do it right when doing the modifications yourself.

I suppose if you really want the X62, you are looking for a board with a very modern CPU. Or perhaps all you really want is an X61 with high specs.

YouTube videos, by the way, are not necessarily battery intensive - you can probably still get a few hours from a 9-cell battery, whether you are using the X61 or X62.

I think this is as far as I can help you, with the concerns you have currently defined.
Greetings from Tokyo,
IceWobs
, IBM Thinkpad Enthusiast

Daily Driver Thinkpads: X250 16gb
Under Construction: PC110
Occasional Use: X200 P8600 AFFS , piano black s30
For Sale: X200 P8700 base, X250 8gb Japanese kb, X250 FHD IPS Lid

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by NonesensE » Sun May 06, 2018 2:36 pm

With the power saving features properly set up (CPU reaching package C-state 7), you can expect 4-5hrs of web surfing on a 4 cell and 8-10hrs on an 8 cell battery. This won't vary much between the i5 and i7 versions. Never tried YouTube for such a long time, but playing GTA V, I get about half the battery life. With YouTube, it will last something in between.

Depending on your use case, an original X61 might be sufficient and would save you a few hundred dollars but sacrifice some battery life.
Sometimes coming over from the German forum...
X62s 3rd batch, [s]T61[/s] T70 14" 4:3 1st batch

mugenn

#4 Post by mugenn » Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 pm

I would get a regular x61 but I think I can get more with the x62. It's nice to know I can get that much battery with it.
The problem would be the price now. I guess being a student in a third world country isn't so good when it comes to paying.