Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Coreboot on the X210

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
mjg59

Coreboot on the X210

#1 Post by mjg59 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:52 am

Hi! I've just finished a first attempt at a port of Coreboot (www.coreboot.org) to the X210. For those who are unaware, Coreboot is a (mostly) open source firmware implementation that replaces the system firmware. I'm running it as my primary firmware now, and it boots Linux happily but probably wouldn't work so well with Windows at the moment. The source code is at github.com/mjg59/coreboot, but please bear in mind that making any kind of mistake during the build or flash process (such as not including the embedded controller firmware) will render your machine unbootable and you'll need additional hardware to recover it. This is primarily something I've done for my own interest, but if anyone else is enthusiastic about running it I'll see if I can make some binaries available and provide instructions for flashing it.

flyingfishfinger

Re: Coreboot on the X210

#2 Post by flyingfishfinger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:09 am

Very nice project!

Personally I'd be more interested in an X62 variant, but I wish you the best with the completion of this one. Can't help you test due to lack of X210 though, sorry.

R

tadfisher

#3 Post by tadfisher » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Very cool! I'd love binaries as building coreboot is quite involved if the distribution doesn't provide the build infrastructure for it (e.g. NixOS).

mjg59

#4 Post by mjg59 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:06 am

I'll post binaries shortly - I'm just trying to track down an issue where everything works fine on my machine but wlan doesn't show up on another (nominally identical) board.

jlee

#5 Post by jlee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Wow. this is pretty cool. How's battery life comparing coreboot to the default bios?