Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

mini DP to HDMI -- explanation?

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
sona1111

mini DP to HDMI -- explanation?

#1 Post by sona1111 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Hello All,

I am still very happy with the T70 which I have been using for the past few years. Does anyone know what happened to LCDFans? I messaged them again to order another board but they never responded...

Anyhoo, I have recently wanted to attach a HDMI monitor to the T70, specifically it is actually the monitor connection of the "Wacom One" entry level graphics tablet. The tablet runs in regular HD (1080), not 4K. I have tested the tablet with another computer that has standard HDMI, and it works great. I have also tested the displayport connection on the T70 with a 4k displayport monitor, and that works great. However, I am having trouble converting the mini-displayport to HDMI with any success. I have so far tried two cables from online, both work as if there is no connection made. There is no log in dmesg and no signal detected on the display. Also, most of the cables I try to buy are listed as "for macbook pro" or "for windows surface" -- I thought the mini-displayport was a defined standard, and it didn't matter which company manufactured the device, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, if anyone has some idea why this might not be working I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks much!

flyingfishfinger

Re: mini DP to HDMI -- explanation?

#2 Post by flyingfishfinger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Not sure about the hardware you have, but for HDMI conversion to work a passive adapter, you need what's called DP++:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPo ... ode_(DP++)

Otherwise you'll need an active adapter.

R

SynbiosVyse

#3 Post by SynbiosVyse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:55 pm

mDP to HDMI usually works if it's a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 port.

My X62s has mDP and mini-HDMI, but it has no thunderbolt support. The mDP only works when going to DP or VGA.

mDP -> HDMI or mDP -> multi adapters don't work.

sona1111

#4 Post by sona1111 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:06 pm

So I ended up finding, as you mentioned, that it works with VGA hub not HDMI passive adapters. Luckily, after getting specifically an 'active' adapter from rosewill, all was well.

Thank you for the suggestions.