Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X210 WWAN /mSATA port does mPCIE!

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62 / T50 / T70 / etc.
flyingfishfinger

X210 WWAN /mSATA port does mPCIE!

#1 Post by flyingfishfinger » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi-
Just wanted to inform the community of an undocumented revelation I just tried - KBL-R has "Flex-I/O" SATA + PCIE ports. OOTB, the 2nd slot is advertised as WWAN / mSATA only.

However, if the slot is connected to one of these Flex I/O ports, then it should be remappable to (m)PCIe (assuming the right additional signals are wired). Turns out, you can flip this using the Intel FIT tool - change "SATA/PCIE Combo Port 0" from SATA to PCIe in the IFD.

Bingo, 2nd mPCIE port :D

Cheers,
R

mjg59

Re: X210 WWAN /mSATA port does mPCIE!

#2 Post by mjg59 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Oh *seriously*? Things I wish I'd known a year ago. Is this entirely controlled by the FIT/FSP, or can the firmware reconfigure it?

flyingfishfinger

#3 Post by flyingfishfinger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

mjg59 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:57 pm
can the firmware reconfigure it?
I have no idea. There's also a 3rd option, "GPIO", it's the same way the M.2 port decides between NVME or SATA-based drives...some pin could be set. Without schematics though we'll never know if that pin goes anywhere.

Also, turns out I might have spoken too soon...while my WiFi card fully works in the slot (i.e it does actually communicate via PCIe), so far nothing else does. In particular, I tried connecting my NVME drive at x1 speeds to it (which works in the lower slot), but it doesn't show up. Also my Sunix UDP2018 USB3.1 controller doesn't work in that slot, so it's not just something particular to the drive.

Note that the PORT shows up if I insert things, but it thinks nothing is connected.

Any clues on that front? There are only so many ways I can think of to wake up a mPCIe card, and clearly the slot is *almost* wired correctly...I'm sure it's a matter of tying some pin high or low...

R

mjg59

#4 Post by mjg59 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Did some more digging - in theory the GPIO option is controlled using SATAXPCIE0, with the polarity option choosing whether the GPIO high/low gives mSATA/PCIe or the reverse. I'd /expect/ SATAXPCIE0 to be wired up given that it's in the same block as the other SATA wires, but obviously no guarantees there.

flyingfishfinger

#5 Post by flyingfishfinger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Hmm, where would that be routed to normally? They could just tie it one way or the other ..

R