Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Getting a x2100 4th batch, have some questions

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
akaiiii

Getting a x2100 4th batch, have some questions

#1 Post by akaiiii » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm

hey, im getting one in the next week but have a few questions - very new to the 51nb things, only ThinkPad experience was a t410 i ran until it cooked itself, and my partner has a t420 but that needs a lot of work done to it to be properly usable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpadsforsa ... ypal_cash/

here's the one i bought, have some questions here as you all would probably have a better idea than the normal ThinkPad reddit.

Mine seems to be x201s based, it hasnt arrived yet - bought and think it was modded outside of xytech's ones, even though its using parts sourced from them.

is there any way to get FireWire support? if not when im back with my partner i can use their t420, so thats not too massive but being able to use that would be appreciated

Is general disassembly the same as the normal x201s? its just got a lower peice with the trackpoint installed, coming with a lower palmrest with the trackpad but from what i understand it needs some modifications - i dont know how to do that and because I'm disabled im not gonna attempt it, but would there be any reccomendations or instructions on putting that palmrest and cutting it right so it fits?

also heard about it being picky with aftermarket batteries - its coming with a thankfully decent 6 cell, but im curious about getting a good 9 cell for it to last longer for when i travel, but i know they pull tons of current so its a bit of a risk -

also im really unsure of where to find english info about them, have no idea what to expect, what drivers to use.

L29Ah
Sophomore Member

Re: Getting a x2100 4th batch, have some questions

#2 Post by L29Ah » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm

I couldn't find a decent 9cell battery on the market (they all seem to contain 2A*h cells of questionable durability and balance) so i bought a [censored] one and good cells, and repacked it myself.
51nb X210 with community EC mod, me_cleaner and recelled 99W*h battery; X230 with coreboot, me_cleaner and nitrocaster's FHD mod as a backup; R500 for guests; T60 just for the looks.

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#3 Post by jamesfawcett » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm

Following thread! I've got one arriving in the next two months, I'm interested in your findings when yours arrives!

atagunov

#4 Post by atagunov » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi,
akaiiii wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm
is there any way to get FireWire support?
FireWire seems a bit dated these days.. never in my life was it useful. What do you need to connect?
I haven't seeen FireWire among the list of specs for X210/X2100 so I think it's not supported
akaiiii wrote:
Is general disassembly the same as the normal x201s?
I believe so, just a different motherboard and a different screen cable
akaiiii wrote:
its just got a lower peice with the trackpoint installed, coming with a lower palmrest with the trackpad but from what i understand it needs some modifications - i dont know how to do that and because I'm disabled im not gonna attempt it, but would there be any reccomendations or instructions on putting that palmrest and cutting it right so it fits?
I'm sorry. I have totally failed to understand what you are going to do.
Replace a palmrest without a trackpad with a palmrest with trackpad?
Replace a palmrest with a trackpad with one without?
Remove/disconnect fingerprint reader?
Either can be done without much trouble I believe.
akaiiii wrote:
also im really unsure of where to find english info about them, have no idea what to expect, what drivers to use.
Are you a windows user? I would expect most hardware to be absolutely standard. There is nothing fancy there. I would expect you to need no drivers at all - the system should recognize everything provided by the CPU and that includes graphics. USB-C is very standard too.

Maybe you're going to need a driver for keyboard/trackpad? I'm sorry I have never run Windows on Thinkpads.. I would expect same drivers as for X200/X201 should work?..
akaiiii wrote:
but im curious about getting a good 9 cell for it to last longer for when i travel, but i know they pull tons of current so its a bit of a risk -
I've got a KingSener batt waiting for X2100, it's form AliExpress but disappointingly the other KingSener that I'm using on X220 has started going straight to 0% from 40% in about 30 seconds. So much for this "brand"..
L29Ah wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm
I couldn't find a decent 9cell battery on the market (they all seem to contain 2A*h cells of questionable durability and balance) so i bought a [censored] one and good cells, and repacked it myself.
So which one did you buy? How fiddly was the process? How well made did you find it inside? Which microcontroller?
X220, 2 *T520

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#5 Post by jamesfawcett » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm

I'm also interested in the last question! I re-celled a genuine battery last month. I kept two cells always in parallel so the controller never saw 0v, but it just flashes the orange light when connected. Apparently the non-genuine battery controllers are much easier when re-celling.

L29Ah
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by L29Ah » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:56 pm

atagunov wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:26 pm
L29Ah wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm
So which one did you buy? How fiddly was the process? How well made did you find it inside? Which microcontroller?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32333747883.html
Fiddly: the case holds on glue and easy to break during disassembly, i didn't have a spot welder and soldered some wires instead, decided that they better be thick so they fit poorly. The result isn't pretty and holds on duct tape. I don't remember which controller was in.
51nb X210 with community EC mod, me_cleaner and recelled 99W*h battery; X230 with coreboot, me_cleaner and nitrocaster's FHD mod as a backup; R500 for guests; T60 just for the looks.

akaiiii

#7 Post by akaiiii » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm

atagunov wrote:
FireWire seems a bit dated these days.. never in my life was it useful. What do you need to connect?
I haven't seeen FireWire among the list of specs for X210/X2100 so I think it's not supported
I work with lots of DV cameras and also have some old audio hardware that's firewire only, i presume there's no more expresscard due to the mods - was curious but if it's not there then i can live with it
atagunov wrote:
I believe so, just a different motherboard and a different screen cable

Ah ok, alright. was worried about that so that's cool
atagunov wrote:
..I have totally failed to understand what you are going to do.
Yeah, that's what i was intending on doing, or if i don't trust risking my safety or the laptops with tools, i'll get someone else to do it. I believe the palmrest may need cutting or something to fit, however i am not too sure if there's any instructions or anything and i don't want to risk doing it myself unless there's clear instructions - it's coming with a palmrest with a trackpad, but currently it's got only the trackpoint as the only pointing device and has a palmrest without a trackpad if that makes sense
atagunov wrote:
Are you a windows user? I would expect most hardware to be absolutely standard. There is nothing fancy there. I would expect you to need no drivers at all - the system should recognize everything provided by the CPU and that includes graphics. USB-C is very standard too.

Maybe you're going to need a driver for keyboard/trackpad? I'm sorry I have never run Windows on Thinkpads.. I would expect same drivers as for X200/X201 should work?..
I intend on probably using windows until i have enough time to just mess around freely with other OS's, i may try linux and i gather that may be a smoother experience but i'm leaning towards hackintoshing it whenever i have the time to - if windows will work straight up however, that's awesome

atagunov wrote:
I've got a KingSener batt waiting for X2100, it's form AliExpress but disappointingly the other KingSener that I'm using on X220 has started going straight to 0% from 40% in about 30 seconds. So much for this "brand"..
ah, ok that's dissapointing, I'll try and see if there's any other actually decent alternatives, i did hear about issues with 9 cells but don't know how much an issue that actually is or if it impedes functioning of the laptop.

atagunov

#8 Post by atagunov » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:29 pm

akaiiii wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm
I work with lots of DV cameras and also have some old audio hardware that's firewire only, i presume there's no more expresscard due to the mods - was curious but if it's not there then i can live with it

So there is one super-capable and super-important USB-C port on X210 4th batch I understand. You can't feed power through that port. But you can connect many other things. If you want external monitor that's where you plug it. Not directly, via some interface device. The same interface device can give you USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports too. If it's USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 depends on this device. My belief is that if you go for USB 3.0 you might be sacrificing ability to drive a 4K display, not sure.

I'm not sure if you can plug into any of these anything that gives you a good Firewire interface.

It might be that X210/2100 is just not suitable for working with FireWire and indeed other models are to be used. Think my T520 has firewire and you're saying you know that T430 has it.. I don't see any on my X220. So perhaps T420/T520/W520/T430/T530/W530 are more suitable?..
atagunov wrote:
akaiiii wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm
Yeah, that's what i was intending on doing, or if i don't trust risking my safety or the laptops with tools, i'll get someone else to do it. I believe the palmrest may need cutting or something to fit, however i am not too sure if there's any instructions or anything and i don't want to risk doing it myself unless there's clear instructions - it's coming with a palmrest with a trackpad, but currently it's got only the trackpoint as the only pointing device and has a palmrest without a trackpad if that makes sense
Oh I see. I'm not an expert on X201/X200.. I know that X200 has no trackpad while X201 does have it. So your question basically boils down to "How do I install X201 palmrest on X200?" Perhaps somebody in the know comes into this topic. Or I guess you could start a new topic with a title like this and I'm sure there will be people to answer your question.
atagunov wrote:
atagunov wrote:
ah, ok that's dissapointing, I'll try and see if there's any other actually decent alternatives, i did hear about issues with 9 cells but don't know how much an issue that actually is or if it impedes functioning of the laptop.
It's disappointing indeed. I have one X220 KingSener batt that developed this bad behavior several months into use and I have two more KingSener batts just sitting here waiting for other Thinkpads.. I really wonder if this is a one-off or a systemic problem..

BTW are you sure 9-cell batts specifically are problematic?.. That's kind of surprising.. but again I'm no expert on X200/X201..
X220, 2 *T520

Yao2000
Freshman Member

#9 Post by Yao2000 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:08 pm

you'll enjoy it. just make sure it has the latest bios and latest EC patch for the proper battery reporting, charging and power usage.
be VERY CAREFUL when you install the bios. read all the github documentation and you MUST do it via Linux for the EC patch.

i suggest you contact the seller to see if he did it already. that would be a huge plus if he already installed the latest bios and EC patch.

also, from looking at the pics, its the regular X201 and not the X201s exterior body shell. I see the larger BULGE at the fan area. There is not much difference in size of X201 vs X201s, so its totally fine.

enjoy this beast of a machine!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:55 am

@akaiiii:
only read this today, so a bit late.
Palmrests are easily swappable.
If you haven't done so, get the X200/X201 manual from the HMM link at the top of this page.

You can get Firewire to work via e.g. these adapters: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FireWire-Adapt ... =430445031
If that x2100 also has USB-C, a bit more complicated: https://www.recordingbase.com/firewire- ... olt-usb-c/
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine