Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X2100 4th batch, BIOS update issues

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
akaiiii

X2100 4th batch, BIOS update issues

#1 Post by akaiiii » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Hey, been a while. Saw on 6th June that a new BIOS update for the x2100 released. I installed it on windows, followed the instructions on Xue's site for windows bios installs, still ended up screwing something up.

Now any time I boot it's impossbible to get to windows. Bringing up a boot device selection brings up nothing. The SSD is still recognised as a 2nd port SATA device, but there's no way i can find, or figure out out of fear to actually get it to be set as a boot disk or get it to actually boot to my windows install on the SSD. I'm currently isolating, so getting a USB is out the question and i gave my other laptop to my girlfriend.

So what the hell do i do? tried enabling, disabling, messing some settings around with secure boot, fast boot, something with SATA devices in the bios too and still got nowhere. Any time I leave the BIOS I get kicked back.. well to the BIOS

Before the update it was all fine, whenever I'd boot there'd be garbage scrolling down for half a second before the 51NB logo appeared then it'd boot straight to windows, now there's none of the garbage, just the 51NB logo, then it kicks me back to bios. I'll throw a quick video up: https://youtu.be/Z4QR9hIDA7Y

But i have no idea what to do, don't think google will help. will anyone else here be of any help lol

atagunov

Re: X2100 4th batch, BIOS update issues

#2 Post by atagunov » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi there. Have you tried 'Boot Override' from 'Save & Exit' screen? It seems the intention there is that you choose your device and machine boots into it - possibly without saving that device permanently.

Do you see any difference between plugged in and on battery btw?

I also have recently received X2100 from XueYao, it's probably one of the last built so also 4th batch.
I never updated the BIOS but it seems I have same version as you.
The machine has come like this from XueYao.
I'm also seeing "Version 2.20.1276" at the bottom of the screen. I'm also seeing

Code: Select all

Core Version 5.17
Project version 1AWDV 0.21 x64
Build Date and Time 07/13/2020 15:45:23
I've also been having trouble with this machine from day 0.
Your trouble looks even more extreme than mine though.
Firstly I don't remember that blue "Please select boot device" window that I see in your video.

Here's how my X2100 is behaving:

- you switch the machine on
- it sits there for about 1 minute with screen completely black
- then I get garbage on screen and 51nb logo, then white cursor on black
- then it seems to restart itself another time going through garbage and 51nb logo again
- then it complains there is no boot device, white letters on black like in 1990 when your 5.25" floppy was missing
- then I press Ctrl+Alt+Del
- then I get garbage on the screen, 51nb logo and it goes to that white on black message again
- if instead after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del I hit "Del" or "Esc" to enter BIOS then BIOS screen does it enter
- I can then go to "Boot" screen
- I can select "[ubuntu (PM981a NVme Samsung 1024GB)] as my Boot Option #1
- I can then "Save Changes and Exit"
- and then machine does boot into Ubuntu without issues
- I think I can even restart and it reboots fine

I've been blaming a dead CMOS battery, but I haven't opened the machine yet to check.

I'm also having 2nd trouble: I'm using an X201 KingSener battery and after booting into Ubuntu when on battery the battery charge level keeps literally jumping between 33% and 100%. I run `tlp-stat -b` several times in a row - one run gives me 33% the next one gives me 100%. I left the machine running for a while to test, I was putting some load on the CPU and eventually it will reach 0% and go to sleep. I had to wake it up a few times, my Ubuntu keeps going to sleep, perhaps correctly. Then I think I wake it up from sleep and battery is partially charged again.

I've been meaning to build an extension cord and test the machine with other genuine batteries but never got around to that.

P.S. I feel for you for having to isolate.. It seems you at least have some other kind of a backup computer? Or are you writing from your phone? I'd hate to isolate and not have any working computer.. Re USB you should probably be able to get an Amazon delivery?..

P.P.S. For me this means that X220/T520 continue being on my daily menu despite presence of this mighty X2100

P.P.P.S. I can confirm I have three options for "Boot Option #1":

PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB
ubuntu (PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB)
Disabled
once I get into BIOS after waiting a minute as described above it's set to "PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB". Attempting to "Save Changes & Exit" like that leads to an almost immediate

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
this white-on-black message from 1990. Only selecting "ubuntu (PM981a NVMe Samsung 1024GB)" yields a working machine, but this option does not stick as if CMOS battery was dead.. but then I haven't removed my main batt? But then it could have thought that batt is at 0% and switched off anyway?.. no idea, maybe I'm just having a dead CMOS batt
X220, 2 *T520

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#3 Post by jamesfawcett » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 pm

I now have a X2100 from KK Mod shop now and it's been perfect. Boots very fast.

If I can help in any way or check settings on mine please let me know. I haven't touched anything in the bios except the PL1/PL2 settings from here: https://www.xyte.ch/support/51nb-x210-x ... e-support/

Battery management is working well in Mac OS Big sur, boot time is very quick. I also see the 51nb logo and a bit of text overlapping in the top left for half a second, then I boot to an EFI I have on the internal Sata drive.

My boot is:

Press power button (hold for 0.5s)
51nb logo for half a second
Opencore boot menu from the EFI on the internal SATA
Choose Mac OS, Windows Boot Manager (for win 7 and win 10), or Manjaro (which is a custom entry in OpenCore)

I'm absolutely thilled with the machine, its a massive upgrade from the X330 I had. It runs at really low temps, even working outside in the sunshine.

The only one thing I don't like so much, is the glossy screen. Reflections are so bad outside. I've been considering a matte screen protector from Amazon.

I'm also really impressed with the USB-C port, it works great with an Apple Mac USB-C charger, and a 65W charger has been more than enough as a secondary power adapter. I'm not sure why there's advice to use a 90W charger.

Last edited by jamesfawcett on Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#4 Post by jamesfawcett » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 pm

I checked my bios version, I am on:

atagunov

#5 Post by atagunov » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:13 am

jamesfawcett wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 pm
I checked my bios version, I am on:

Hi, happy to hear your machine works for you :) I'm seeing the same version at the bottom of my BIOS screen as you. Could you please also confirm if you're seeing this in your BIOS:

Core Version 5.17
Project version 1AWDV 0.21 x64
Build Date and Time 07/13/2020 15:45:23
What battery are you using?

BTW this 3000x2000 screen is what I love the most about this machine. So good. I wish I could actually start using it. It's interesting that you're seeing text overlapping during boot. I'm just seeing screen garbage for a short period of time - which I certainly don't mind on its own.
X220, 2 *T520

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#6 Post by jamesfawcett » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 am

I am using an original Lenovo battery, it was factory sealed but new-old-stock on ebay. Battery reporting is working great, seems to last about 4 hours running Mac OS Big Sur.

I can't seem to find those numbers in my bios, where do I need to go to get those?

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#7 Post by jamesfawcett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:36 pm

I wanted to post an update to this thread. My 4th batch motherboard died, completely unresponsive.

I purchased a 5th batch motherboard which I installed today, I’m now having all the boot issues you are having above and the blank screen. I also cannot boot an EFI folder from an internal drive (nvme or sata) it just goes to a black screen with a flashing underline symbol.

If I put my EFI on an external usb I can boot an OS, but, it takes a few attempts and there’s the long wait with the black screen.

Did you manage to find a solution?