Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anyone with a 1st batch X210 willing to help me run some tests?

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
flyingfishfinger

Anyone with a 1st batch X210 willing to help me run some tests?

#1 Post by flyingfishfinger » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi all-
I've recently had some time to revisit my Thunderbolt 3 project for my X210. One of the outstanding issues is that it relies on having the mSATA slot reflashed to mPCIE so I can use that, which I've posted about before I think.

The required change can be made with Intel CSME / Flash Descriptor tools, but my results have been disappointing. It "works" in that I have a WiFi card that's fully functional (which proves that the change CAN be made and PCIE indeed is wired correctly on the slot), but none of my NVME drives work.

I talked to Yue (xytech) and he helped me test this on an X2100, (which in theory should be the same in this regard), and NVME drives work with no issues for him.

So my question is, do I have an X210 with an issue, or is there a difference between later batches and the first batch PCBs? We'll never know from a design perspective, and I don't have a 2nd machine to try this on.

If you have a first batch X210 and are willing to help me try this out, you'll need to reflash the BIOS and try an NVME drive with an adapter in the upper mPCIE slot.

Any takers? I'll mail you an adapter if you like, too.

Cheers,
R