Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is Jacky responding to anyone else?

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
surfbro

Is Jacky responding to anyone else?

#1 Post by surfbro » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:18 pm

**UPDATE**

I did receive my laptop as of 11/11/21! Thanks Jacky, sorry for doubting you!!!

**UPDATE**

Hey all, I purchased another x210 from Jacky around June 1.

Jacky said they had 1 machine left (then I also someone posting a similar promise on Reddit I believe).

Since then I've been getting, 'The machine hasn't left Hong Kong, once it does you will get a tracking" for the past 2 months from Jacky,

Not sure if anyone else is in communication with Jacky, or received a device in the past month, but I'd like to hear from others to see what's going on.

Take care
Last edited by surfbro on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greatzot

Re: Is Jacky responding to anyone else?

#2 Post by greatzot » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 am

I emailed him last week and he said he had one 3rd generation x210 board with the i7-8650u left. Is that what he told you, or was that a different one? Had some emails back and forth clarifying what the specs for a full laptop would be and he was pretty quick to respond. It then took a couple days to figure out a way to pay him that worked--he said he believed it was a Chinese govt restriction, and then one time he missed a digit in the ID. Anyway he said he'd let me know when he could ship. That was the last I heard and it was probably Sunday or Monday. As for the 10510U, he said "No have the 10510U yet".

So I guess we're in the same boat now, but you've been in it longer.

For comparison, I ordered an X2100 from Xue Yao at the beginning of January 2020 and received it in July 2021. Of course, that includes six months when the boards weren't available yet. But I've heard similar times from people who ordered X210s a couple years back from Jacky, so I wasn't really surprised, just disappointed it didn't end up being faster, particularly considering I heard of other people who ordered later than me getting their machine first. But maybe they chose a less high res display or something that made theirs quicker to finish, or maybe he just felt like finishing theirs first. Who knows.

surfbro

#3 Post by surfbro » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:29 pm

greatzot wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 am
I emailed him last week and he said he had one 3rd generation x210 board with the i7-8650u left. Is that what he told you, or was that a different one? Had some emails back and forth clarifying what the specs for a full laptop would be and he was pretty quick to respond. It then took a couple days to figure out a way to pay him that worked--he said he believed it was a Chinese govt restriction, and then one time he missed a digit in the ID. Anyway he said he'd let me know when he could ship. That was the last I heard and it was probably Sunday or Monday. As for the 10510U, he said "No have the 10510U yet".

So I guess we're in the same boat now, but you've been in it longer.

For comparison, I ordered an X2100 from Xue Yao at the beginning of January 2020 and received it in July 2021. Of course, that includes six months when the boards weren't available yet. But I've heard similar times from people who ordered X210s a couple years back from Jacky, so I wasn't really surprised, just disappointed it didn't end up being faster, particularly considering I heard of other people who ordered later than me getting their machine first. But maybe they chose a less high res display or something that made theirs quicker to finish, or maybe he just felt like finishing theirs first. Who knows.
Okay, yeah Jacky told me that I was to receive a 10510U, so I guess he's keeping his story straight for the time being.

I did receive a laptop from Jacky on a previous order before June, and that was about a month-month and a half to receive. However I placed this order I'm waiting on right after I received the first one, beginning of June, and we are in September.

I was now just told by a response from Jacky a few days ago that many laptops were 'seized' at customs, but he is shipping another one to me? I never heard a case where anyone was scammed, so I don't think that's happening, but at least Xue Yao was more honest with the times, and better to respond than Jacky. It's a tad frustrating is all...

adamantairman

#4 Post by adamantairman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:23 pm

I'll add my name to the list. Paid him for an X210 that he said he had in stock on August 6th, last message I received from him was on August 11th.

I've emailed a few times asking how stuff is going, but not feeling terribly confident at this point.
X200 Tablet, best 2-in-1 form factor out there

jvscholz

#5 Post by jvscholz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 pm

Yeah, I had this problem awhile ago with Jacky and a X63, try messaging him on WeChat- lcdfans

He was much more responsive there, sometimes responding within 20 minutes. Beware that WeChat is spyware, so use an unimportant device.

cheers :]

adamantairman

#6 Post by adamantairman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Any tips for registering for WeChat? It wants me to get someone else with an account to scan a QR code and I don't know anyone else with WeChat.

surfbro

#7 Post by surfbro » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:57 am

jvscholz wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 pm
Yeah, I had this problem awhile ago with Jacky and a X63, try messaging him on WeChat- lcdfans

He was much more responsive there, sometimes responding within 20 minutes. Beware that WeChat is spyware, so use an unimportant device.

cheers :]
Thanks for this tip, Ill find Jacky on Wechat! (That is if I can figure out how to use it lol)

surfbro

#8 Post by surfbro » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:06 am

adamantairman wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:09 pm
Any tips for registering for WeChat? It wants me to get someone else with an account to scan a QR code and I don't know anyone else with WeChat.
Good question, Ill see if I can figure it out soon...

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#9 Post by BillMorrow » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:25 am

heh..
coming into this thread just now..
just tell me who IS this jacky person..?
i advise care before sending $$ to HK unless you are dealing through ebay so you have a recovery route in the event of non-delivery..
just my 2 cents..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

greatzot

#10 Post by greatzot » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:45 am

FYI I got my order from Jacky last week--took maybe one month from the time I ordered to the time he shipped, then maybe a week and a half or two weeks for transit.

Jacky is a legit modder/seller. His English is a bit rough so there may be communication problems, and his site says he can ship "in stock" machines in a week when that's clearly not the case, but he's not some scammer swindling people out of their money without fulfilling orders. Also, I had a question about one of the port covers and NVME mount when I got the computer and he responded within a day or so on that.

surfbro

#11 Post by surfbro » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Just wanted to edit this thread that I did actually receive my laptop last week from Jacky,

So I want to confirm that I received my laptop and I am happy now!!!! Thanks Jacky!!

adamantairman

#12 Post by adamantairman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:02 pm

And here I am still waiting...
I did receive an email from him saying it was 'almost ready to ship out' on October 17th, and then...nothing.
He's obviously reading this thread, and knows who's who so, well, here I am still waiting with zero recourse except complaining on the internet.
I appreciate stuff has been hectic, but communication goes a long way. I'd rather not write off $1000+, but I don't expect anything else at this point.
Edit: I've emailed him asking for a refund, I'll update as I hear from him.

Update: finally got my X210 a little bit ago, and just got it up and running. Nice machine, not a fan of how they 'restore' the laptop chassis using what seems to be some sort of matte plastidip, but it works. The 3k display is very nice but it has some flicker, and BIOS settings are a bit of a crap shoot. Overall I am enjoying the laptop, but the experience is not for the faint of heart. I have to say that previously I did buy a T480 7-row conversion from Xue Yao, and while it did take some time he was far more straight forward with timelines and communicating.
Last edited by adamantairman on Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#13 Post by jamesfawcett » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:49 am

Just to let everyone know WeChat is much better for communicating with Jacky than email, going to be ordering a 5th Batch soon :)

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#14 Post by jamesfawcett » Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 am

Got my new display and display cables really fast from Jacky, + extras display cables too! Really happy with the service and communication was great, ordering the newer 5th batch motherboard next.

x40Dallas

#15 Post by x40Dallas » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm

Hey guys,
I've been trying to send money to Jacky for literally 3 years. (this is for an LED kit for my 'extra' X62, so it hasn't been a rush). Unfortunately, after 3 or 4 separate trips to his local Western Union office to try to collect my payment and a dozen emails about (the Western union tracking # / "MCN" or something), we both sortof gave up. The $90 bucks or whatever is just floating out there.

Can someone update me on the latest / best way to get money to the man?

thanks a lot!

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#16 Post by jamesfawcett » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:25 pm

When I sent it on western union it was there instantly for him to collect, like within seconds. I wondered if he did it online or was waiting at the shop maybe?

Another idea would be to pay via the WeChat app if you know anyone in China?

I’m happy with the service I got from Jacky, he was much more responsive and reliable than XYTech, I had to cancel my xytech order after chasing Xue for months! My 3000x2000 display has been perfect. I was just going to get a display cable but glad i got a full preassembled lid assembly it’s nicely made.

x40Dallas

#17 Post by x40Dallas » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:30 pm

Thank you. I may PM to compare Western Union payment details. I feel like what I had was really vague-- just a pretty common first and last name-- but it's been my only experience sending $ that way.

From the little I know about WeChat, I'll try to hold off for now.

jamesfawcett
Freshman Member

#18 Post by jamesfawcett » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 pm

I did feel like I was signing my life away accepting all the privacy policies and data access to get the WeChat app working! I heard it's Spyware, but I'm hoping the Apple Appstore version is a bit safer!

RMSMajestic

#19 Post by RMSMajestic » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:54 am

jamesfawcett wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:06 pm
I did feel like I was signing my life away accepting all the privacy policies and data access to get the WeChat app working! I heard it's Spyware, but I'm hoping the Apple Appstore version is a bit safer!
You are right. It indeed is more of a spyware than windows 10. I only use the wechat from UK Apple Appstore and turn off all the access. (Hope they still have the EU privacy laws in place after Brexit)

The sad part is, every one in China is using it cos every one is using it. And it's not because almost all other IM softwares are blocked here. I did try to build my own chat server but can't even pursuade my family to use it :/

And some news
https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/16/2317 ... hat-tiktok

Brace yourself and start learning how to set up own email server/ IM server, as well as how to pay for daily purchases in cash, and/or hoarder a lot of pay as you go SIM cards :mrgreen:

Back to the topic, if you wanna find Jacky in a timely fashion without installing wechat, you can use QQ/ TIM (in a virtual machine) instead. his number is 71070156, but I'm not sure if he logs on often anymore.
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.