Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230 Can't find correct edp cable for 2k 16:10 from xytech

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
Cruelify

x230 Can't find correct edp cable for 2k 16:10 from xytech

#1 Post by Cruelify » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm

I bought a kit from xytech a few months ago and had this project set aside as I had to wait for a friend to solder my adapter.
I've realized that I probably got scammed as I was sent the wrong display. I ordered a "2k 16:10" display but it turned out to be another display which wasn't the "AUO B133QAN02.0" he advertised.
Here is the display https://imgur.com/a/Ucyt6Lk with the cable it came with (I wasn't sent another cable) The display is a "lp130qp1-spa1"
The cable is a 40pin to 30pin and touch? which isn't compatible with the adapter he sent me: https://imgur.com/a/39UicsC I've sent him an email a couple weeks ago but he hasn't responded.
The display doesn't fit with the 16:10 bezel he sent me either shown here: https://imgur.com/a/539OyMN There is space in between the side bezels and the display goes past the top bezel.

I may be able to use a cnc machine to correct the bezel for the display I have now, I just have no idea where to get the correct edp connector for it. What options do I have? Do I have to order the "AUO B133QAN02.0" display? If so, what is the correct edp cable for that?

Wish xytech could help

greatzot

Re: x230 Can't find correct edp cable for 2k 16:10 from xytech

#2 Post by greatzot » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:07 pm

Cruelify wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm
I bought a kit from xytech a few months ago and had this project set aside as I had to wait for a friend to solder my adapter.
I've realized that I probably got scammed as I was sent the wrong display. I ordered a "2k 16:10" display but it turned out to be another display which wasn't the "AUO B133QAN02.0" he advertised.
I do not see any reason to believe Xue Yao intentionally deceived you. He does make mistakes, and he does sometimes change his mind about certain things. In my case, I ordered an X2100 in January 2020. He did not fulfill the order until around June or July 2021. This is not really unusuall--for prior generations, I read similar wait times for people ordering from Jacky. (I've also ordered from Jacky since then and have no qualms about him, either.)

For my x2100, Xue Yao mistakenly put in the wrong power cord. I'm not sure which country it was for, but not Japan. He refunded me enough to cover the cost of a new cable. Also, while when I ordered he asked us to specify if we wanted extra ventilation ports cut into the casing, and I said yes, he did not do that. When I asked he explained he found it didn't make any real difference, which isn't that surprising based on my experience with other computers.

Later, the motherboard failed. He took the computer back and replaced it at no charge. I'm not sure if it was just defective or if it's somehow my fault for not immediately setting the power settings as he suggested, but either way, he didn't blame me, even though I told him if he thought it was my fault he could bill me for the cost of the new board. Would a scammer cover the cost himself?

He has posted on his site that he is busy and has had family issues to deal with for the past couple of years. I can relate to that and will say that family comes first, so while he may have bitten off more than he can chew right now for his hobby of doing mods (this is not a full-time job for him), it's understandable and not really unusual.

As for my order from Jacky, I couldn't fit my NVME drive into it correctly at first, because one of the plastic parts was partly blocking the screw hole. I emailed him with pics, and he responded, then I looked more carefully and found out the piece was just stuck a little bit at the wrong angle in the side of the casing, and once I got it fitting properly, the screw hole was accessible.

For some perspective, I am also a musician and have seen people wait 2 years to get "custom made" guitars from various makers, and one guitar I ordered three years ago was defective from the factory (electronics installed incorrectly), then the bridge on the replacement I got a couple weeks later broke only two months later, and then 3 years later the bridge on the replacement for that one broke, and after pressing the manufacturer with a couple emails over summer, they finally sent my concerns up the chain of command, and the guy who responded said I was correct that it was a defect, due to the material they used for the bridge (something called "tecwood"), and they were producing new versions with a different wood and they would send me one of those when they were ready, probably at the end of January or so. I'm still waiting to hear about the replacement, but I trust they will follow through, and if I don't hear back soon enough, I'll press them again. It'd be nice if it all went fast and smooth, but we all have our issues to deal with, and in spite of the issues I'm thankful they are willing to take responsibility for their unfortunate material choice and replace the broken guitar even though it was technically no longer under warranty when it broke.

I realize none of this helps you get the right part right now, but perhaps it will help frame the problem so you can find the solution with less stress.

Cruelify

Re: x230 Can't find correct edp cable for 2k 16:10 from xytech

#3 Post by Cruelify » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:54 pm

Thank you for your response. I understand that this is a very niche hobby and that it's not a full-time job for him. It's pretty amazing how niche and special this hobby is for many others and that's what I love about it. Thanks for putting this situation in another light for me, I'll play the waiting game and see what comes next. I'll trust that he'll come back and help me with my situation. I thought your experience of guitar struggles was very inspiring in a situation like this haha.

Thanks again