Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X2100 3k x 2k display gone bad

Old(er) Thinkpads with New(er) Intestines: X62/T50/T70/X210/X330 etc.
greatzot

X2100 3k x 2k display gone bad

#1 Post by greatzot » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:35 pm

Just for everyone's info, the 2k display on my x2100 (received from Xue Yao in mid-2021) seems to have gone bad recently. There's a roughly 3.5cm bar at the left that started showing grey flickers at times, and now is displaying a variety of similar glitchy behavior--sometimes it works, sometimes it's impossible to see anything in that area of the screen. An ordinary screenshot shows nothing unusual in what Windows is trying to display, so it seems it's probably a hardware issue with the display. When it does get glitchy, handling it in that area (touching or pressing slightly) affects exactly how the glitch looks.

Info about the displays Xue Yao said he used in these x2100 builds can be found at Xue Yao's website. Not blaming him at all--there's no way to predict this sort of thing. I have not taken the computer apart so not entirely sure what model/part number this one is, but the issue reminds me of an ASUS smartphone I had a few years ago where the display failed in similar fashion and had to be replaced. I also found a report of a Dell monitor with the same kind of thing--also had to be replaced. So your mileage may vary, but the potential for this sort of failure is why I ordered a second, full HD monitor from Xue Yao when I bought the x2100. I figured if the first went bad, I'd have a replacement on hand ready to go, albeit a lower-resolution one. I have external monitors handy and other things I need to get done over the next week or two, though, so will be a while before I get around to taking this apart.