Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

P50/P70 and later specific matters only
jfrank4165

P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#1 Post by jfrank4165 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:16 pm

As a college student I am required to use MATLAB for my courses. When attempting to install MATLAB the computer came across an error in the installation. So, I deleted the matlab files and reinstalled matlab. After this, my laptop would occasionally crash and give me the 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart'. After digging around I believed it was a driver or firmware error so I followed this guide: https://neosmart.net/wiki/kernel-security-check-error/ I did steps 1 and 2, the system scan returned nothing and after doing the verification I now ocassionally boot into the boot menu as pictured. In the boot menu none of the options work as they bring back to the boot menu. In order to escape the boot menu I need to force restart (hold power button) and reboot. Both of these are random and infrequent, none of the programs I am using seem to be the cause as one isnt always open when these happen. I tried installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and that did not help.

Here are the images of boot menu and event logs: https://imgur.com/a/UAj0y

Any help is appreciated.

-Josh

thinkpadcollection

Re: P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Might need to install .net framework and C++ redistributable softwares.

Also look into testing with MATLAB with 1 memory module at a time otherwise replace with pair of new memory modules.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

jaspen-meyer

Re: P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#3 Post by jaspen-meyer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I would test the ram with memtest. Or, take your machine to your school's IT department and ask them for help.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led