Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
jfrank4165

P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#1 Post by jfrank4165 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:16 pm

As a college student I am required to use MATLAB for my courses. When attempting to install MATLAB the computer came across an error in the installation. So, I deleted the matlab files and reinstalled matlab. After this, my laptop would occasionally crash and give me the 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart'. After digging around I believed it was a driver or firmware error so I followed this guide: https://neosmart.net/wiki/kernel-security-check-error/ I did steps 1 and 2, the system scan returned nothing and after doing the verification I now ocassionally boot into the boot menu as pictured. In the boot menu none of the options work as they bring back to the boot menu. In order to escape the boot menu I need to force restart (hold power button) and reboot. Both of these are random and infrequent, none of the programs I am using seem to be the cause as one isnt always open when these happen. I tried installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and that did not help.

Here are the images of boot menu and event logs: https://imgur.com/a/UAj0y

Any help is appreciated.

-Josh

thinkpadcollection

Re: P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Might need to install .net framework and C++ redistributable softwares.

Also look into testing with MATLAB with 1 memory module at a time otherwise replace with pair of new memory modules.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

jaspen-meyer

Re: P51s Randomly crashes "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" Also randomly boots into boot menu

#3 Post by jaspen-meyer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I would test the ram with memtest. Or, take your machine to your school's IT department and ask them for help.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

afrank

#4 Post by afrank » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:43 am

I have a similar problem, and would appreciate if someone would have additional ideas to solve this issue:
BSOD, no dump file, no report from mdsched.exe, even in safe mode

my system:
Lenovo ThinkPad P51s
System SKU LENOVO_MT_20HC_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad P51s
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N1VET55W (1.45 ), 2020-11-04

SMBIOS Version 3.0
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.804
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I have occasional BSODs since a few months. Sometimes after a crash, the system gets into the boot menu. In the boot menu I also have tried actually every item, but it ultimately always reverts into the boot menu. In order to restart. As jaspen-meyer has already descibed, I need to hold power button and reboot. Sometimes I even had to eject the battery and unplug in order to empty the cache as the system was stuck in an endless cycle. These breakdowns are random and infrequent.

I have the feeling as if they only occur when I have the system running while plugged in over the ACDC adapter (original part from Lenovo), or when on battery power.
When using my thinkpad thunderbolt3 docking station, where the power supply comes over the usb-c port I have not witnessed any breakdowns until now. But if I'm unplugging the laptop, the laptop almost always crashes imediately.

I have tried to find the cause according to the suggestions above and elsewhere, but never had any success. This means, more specifically:

I never get anything back from the system failure debugging dump file, i.e. there is none written: I have tried automatic memory dump and small memory dump and installed a little app called BlueScreenViewer, but no results. (I have checked the 'write an event to the system log' and 'automatic restart' in the system dialog.)

I have run checkdisk without any alerts (all seems ok).

I have run the mdsched.exe from ‘Safe Mode with Command Prompt’ – no report was generated or displayed after reboot, although the memory check was completed (99%).

According to Lenovo’s vantage check all drivers are up to date.

I am out of ideas what to do to find out what the problem is and would be grateful for help.

davidgurvich
Freshman Member

#5 Post by davidgurvich » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 pm

The image looks like laptop is having a problem with detecting system drive. Most likely to be a failing/failed system drive or loose/bad connector(cable,slot). If a known good drive doesn't work then it's likely a problem on the motherboard.
Egregious overbidder

afrank

#6 Post by afrank » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks davidgurvich for your thoughts.
What would you suggest me to do to find out?
Why do you think this is not happening when connected to the docking station?
Cheers.

davidgurvich
Freshman Member

#7 Post by davidgurvich » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:15 am

Might be a battery or charging issue of some sort. There's a known issue with usb-c/thunderbolt ports on the lenovo website https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/solu ... e%3Abv0as6
Egregious overbidder