Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Crucial P3 Plus 4TB NVME on Thinkpad P1 Gen 6 issue

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Powergrade

Crucial P3 Plus 4TB NVME on Thinkpad P1 Gen 6 issue

#1 Post by Powergrade » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 am

Apologies if this topic has appeared previously. I have a new P1 Gen 6 to which several upgrades I've carried out, RAM upgrade to 48GB was no issue. The issue I have is with a Crucial P3 Plus 4TB Gen 4 NVME M.2. I cloned the factory Kioxia 512GB to the Crucial via an external enclosure with no problem. I then inserted the Crucial into the specified Gen4 slot. There is no issue with the physical connection. On powerup the Thinkpad sits on a black screen with the ESC LED on for several minutes before eventually the Lenovo red splash appears on which you would normally be able to hit ENTER to interrupt the boot etc. Hitting the key at this point has no effect. The machine appears locked up with the Logo on screen requiring a forced power down. I then tried the Crucial into the M2.0 slot replacing the Kioxia SSD, I'm assuming this slot is a Gen3 and backwards. In this slot the Lenovo posts at normal speed but gives a "2100 - Detection error on storage device M2.0" and bombs out back to the BIOS so clearly it doesnt like the SSD in that slot either albeit with different error. The Crucial itself is fine and boots up in another desktop PC. Can anyone shed any light on this issue. Ive googled and seen a couple posts with similar issues on other Lenovo devices but no clear solution. Thank you in advance for any comments.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB NVME on Thinkpad P1 Gen 6 issue

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:23 am

Welcome to the Forum.
The problem might be the cloning software.
Also, check if the Kioxia has encryption and/or different UEFI/MBR settings from the Crucial.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Powergrade

Re: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB NVME on Thinkpad P1 Gen 6 issue

#3 Post by Powergrade » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Thanks for your comments. I have resolved the problem by updating the firmware on the Crucial 4TB P3 Plus. The firmware update notes actually say "resolves BIOS enumeration issues with Lenovo devices". One for the black book.