Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad P50 Thunderbolt port working for anyone?

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
hargock

Thinkpad P50 Thunderbolt port working for anyone?

#1 Post by hargock » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:12 am

Hi,
I got a Thinkpad P50 and today my Dell Thunderbolt Dock arrived.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work at all (= it is not recognized), although Dell claims the dock also works with non-Dell Thunderbolt 3 machines.
I've fiddled all day trying to update all related drivers.

However, I get the impression that the Thunderbolt port isn't installed at all, even after installaing the Intel Thunderbolt Software from the P50's driver page.
I can't see any Thunderbolt devices/controllers in the Windows Device Manager and a few days a ago, Lenovo released an "Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware" for the P70. But there's no such firmware on the P50's site, just the Intel Thunderbolt Software (which seems to be someting else)

Right now, maybe there is no Thunderbolt firmware available for the P50? Has anyone ever got a Thunderbolt 3 device working on the P50?
Does anyone see anything related to Thunderbolt in their Windows Device Manager?

Troels
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad P50 Thunderbolt port working for anyone?

#2 Post by Troels » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi,
I have recently ordered a P50, but have note received it yet. It will replace my T60p which has become defective and too slow for most tasks.
You should know that there are many quirks yet to be ironed out with the P50. One of the Issues that HDMI doesn't always work, which was confirmed by Lenovo to be a Thunderbolt issue, since everything is handled by the same ASIC when it comes to video outputs. They were working on a firmware fix, which might have fixed the problems.
Please see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P ... -p/2264525

Maybe the BIOS update will also fix your issue?
http://support.lenovo.com/dk/da/downloads/ds106108

By the way, which configuration did you get - and what do you think of the screen?

hargock

#3 Post by hargock » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Yeah, I already noticed the quirks with the HDMI port :( I've updated the BIOS to 1.17, too.

One of the reasons for buying the machine was that it *should* be able to drive three external 4K displays (1 via miniDP, 2 via Thunderbolt 3).
But I'm starting to get afraid that those are not three individual Displayport "lanes", but that those of the Thunderbolt controller are shared with the miniDP port. Thats what I hoped finding out when I finally got the dock, but it's not doing anything, probably because the Thunderbolt controller in the P50 isn't working at all right now :(
In a week, my 14 day window of returning the P50 will close, if it's not fixed by then I will have to return it, although I like the machine itself. But I don't want to risk being stuck with a machine that does not support 3x4K in the end.

Concerning the display: I originally got the 4K one, but returned it because of its pathetic viewing angles. I'm now pleasantly suprsied by the FHD one. I read in a test that the FDH one is darker than the 4K one (specification wise), but it turns out they are similar. But the FHD version has acceptable viewing angles.

I'm feeling sorry for my retailer if I have to return the second machine as well, I just wish Lenovo would release working Laptops in the first place. Early adopter life isn't pleasant right now ;)

i2000s
Freshman Member

#4 Post by i2000s » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:10 am

So, no drivers are required? Just my ignorance--I haven't thought about dockers other than Lenovo's...

Update: I have installed the Thunderbolt driver, seems working for me...
X31 (since 2003), X61T (2007), X200T (2009), ThinkPad Tablet 2 (2013), P50 (2016).
Considering more Thinkpads. Retiring my X200T. PM me if anyone wants to home it.

Mark435

#5 Post by Mark435 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm new to all this Thunderbolt stuff. When I received my TP P50 it was installed and showed in device manager. Since then it disappeared for unknown reasons, and cannot reinstall driver, firmware, nothing. Tried system update, no good.
How do I reinstall the driver & firmware, which is first?
And if I can install both, what devices can I use for the speed it's supposed to move data at? I have GIGS of data to move from one external HD to another. If I need to purchase new drives that support TB3 so be it, not a problem. Have no idea where to find them or which type to get.
Any help appreciated to get me started in right direction with all this Thunderbolt 3 tech stuff. Thx.