Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem installing a 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - incorrect bytes recognized

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
baertracks
Sophomore Member

Problem installing a 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - incorrect bytes recognized

#1 Post by baertracks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 pm

I just purchased a P52 ThinkPad to replace my P50 (which has served me well). The new laptop came with a i7-8850H, 16GB RAM and a 500GB 2.5" hard drive. My plan is to install 3 (or maybe 4) SSDs and upgrade memory to 128GB RAM. This is my dream computer that I want to take to the max!

I began by installing a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro SSD into one of the M.2 NVMe slots. I installed a new OS onto that drive. No problem. I then removed the 500GB drive and will replace it (eventually) with a 4TB Samsung 680 Pro for data storage.

Meanwhile, I installed a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO in the second M.2 NVMe slot. However, when I rebooted my computer only recognized a 232GB drive in that space. I deleted the volume, and re-formatted with the same result. It's like the drive is being recognized as a 250GB SSD rather than a 2TB SSD.

I suspect that this may be a faulty SSD. However, before returning it to Amazon, I wanted to check with the experts in this forum to see if there may be another explanation. What do you think? Is there a disk configuration issue for M.2 NVMe SSD that I'm missing? Or, is this simply a faulty SSD?

BTW, I purchased 4 sticks of Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz memory on eBay for $560. I installed two in the back on the computer, and they work fine. My step will be to gently remove the keyboard to install the other two sticks.

Thanks! -FRANK (Baertracks)

baertracks
Sophomore Member

Re: Problem installing a 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - incorrect bytes recognized

#2 Post by baertracks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 pm

In talking with a Samsung rep, I was told to download/install Samsung Magician. Once installed it immediately recognized the chip on the installed SSD drive as a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB. So apparently the label on the drive which says 970 EVO 2TB is incorrect (or was tampered with). So it goes!